International

Re: BDO Wolverhampton Open & Classic 2017

Post by WCDPA »

BlueSpark wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:I am no good anymore.
I like going to Hayling and play because it's reasonable at 3 quid.
Not a chance I would pay £50 in fees to play in 2 singles and a pairs comp at that weekend.
Hayling is what £120 per person and pay £3 to enter , pay £40 at Wolverhampton get cheap hotel cost the same , less players to beat at Wolverhampton and more prize money , if you live in Midlands or north ! Wolverhampton by far the cheaper option .
This isn't about Wolverhampton
Unless there's a Bunn Leisure there I don't know about.
You don't have to stay onsite at Bunn leisure , you do at Hayling :)
How many nights is it?
Hayling is 2 nights , Selsey for £50 per unit not pp you can stay rest of the week .
You could go down Friday at Selsey book in at a local B&B and play 2 ranked singles , if you don't get to finals you could go home Saturday . #choice
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

What?
I know Hayling is 2 nights you wally, I go there every year.
Tried to work out your post above, then gave up.
So how many nights would you need to stay to play in both singles and the pairs.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

People moan about the prize Money, yet also moan about paying too much in entry fees. £20 is fine IMO
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

BlueSpark wrote:What?
So how many nights would you need to stay to play in both singles and the pairs.
2 nights and you could also play in the team event 3 men 1 lady .
Rout
International

Re: RE: Re: BDO Wolverhampton Open & Classic 2017

Post by Rout »

oche balboa wrote:People moan about the prize Money, yet also moan about paying too much in entry fees. £20 is fine IMO
Exactly my point. Prize money doesn't affect me cos I'll never win any. Entry fees do affect me because sometimes I like to play in darts competitions. So I don't care about prize money.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Rout wrote:
oche balboa wrote:People moan about the prize Money, yet also moan about paying too much in entry fees. £20 is fine IMO
Exactly my point. Prize money doesn't affect me cos I'll never win any. Entry fees do affect me because sometimes I like to play in darts competitions. So I don't care about prize money.
Play in pub comps then.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

WCDPA wrote:
So in your logic, it's justifiable to charge people £50 to play in 2 singles and 1 pairs, because you don't have to stay on site. Which means a hotel, unless you live within a few miles of it.
What's a hotel room, £40 if we're being generous? So that's a bare minimum of £80 for hotel and £50 for entry fees.
And not even staying on site, so need transport to and from hotel. Also food, you'll be hungry.
Allied to the fact that where I go every year for two nights, my £130 gets me on site room, entry to all events and as it's full board, I get all of my meals supplied as well.
Dread to think how much it would cost to hire a van for the duration as well as pay the extortionate entry fees.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

ChrisW wrote:
Rout wrote:
Play in pub comps then.
I agree with Rout here.
The entry fees are getting ridiculous.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

BlueSpark wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
Rout wrote:
Play in pub comps then.
I agree with Rout here.
The entry fees are getting ridiculous.
Play in pub comps then.
Booji Boy
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: BDO Wolverhampton Open & Classic 2017

Post by Booji Boy »

Rout wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Rout wrote:'Bigger issue with the event' is the exact explanation as to why the event hasn't attracted many entries. You've dismissed my point on the one hand then gone on to question why more people haven't entered.

£20 is a lot when you know you have zero chance of a return. It's not about affordability it's about sensibility.

No casual pub player is gonna even consider chucking that in. That means you are limiting entries to the top few percent of players. Of course entries will be low.
I paid twenty quid to get dicked out in the first round of the last bdo comp as did a bunch of my mates. Was worth every penny.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Some people used to spend two hundred quid a weekend to get beat 6-0, 6-0

Doesn't change the point. Perhaps it's a tsod thing....
I completely disproved your point that "no casual pub player is going to chuck that in" by telling you that several casual pub players happily paid twenty quid to enter an open.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

BlueSpark wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
So in your logic, it's justifiable to charge people £50 to play in 2 singles and 1 pairs, because you don't have to stay on site. Which means a hotel, unless you live within a few miles of it.
What's a hotel room, £40 if we're being generous? So that's a bare minimum of £80 for hotel and £50 for entry fees.
And not even staying on site, so need transport to and from hotel. Also food, you'll be hungry.
Allied to the fact that where I go every year for two nights, my £130 gets me on site room, entry to all events and as it's full board, I get all of my meals supplied as well.
Dread to think how much it would cost to hire a van for the duration as well as pay the extortionate entry fees.
You are the punter you make your choice ! If you are happy with your lot why worry .
Hayling Island is great value for money been a few times myself .
Rout
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: BDO Wolverhampton Open & Classic 2017

Post by Rout »

Booji Boy wrote:
Rout wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Rout wrote:'Bigger issue with the event' is the exact explanation as to why the event hasn't attracted many entries. You've dismissed my point on the one hand then gone on to question why more people haven't entered.

£20 is a lot when you know you have zero chance of a return. It's not about affordability it's about sensibility.

No casual pub player is gonna even consider chucking that in. That means you are limiting entries to the top few percent of players. Of course entries will be low.
I paid twenty quid to get dicked out in the first round of the last bdo comp as did a bunch of my mates. Was worth every penny.

I completely disproved your point that "no casual pub player is going to chuck that in" by telling you that several casual pub players happily paid twenty quid to enter an open.
I'll happily reword 'no' to 'most' if it makes you happy
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Booji Boy
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: BDO Wolverhampton Open & Classic 2017

Post by Booji Boy »

Rout wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Rout wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:

I'll happily reword 'no' to 'most' if it makes you happy
I still do not think that is accurate.

If you reword it to "I" then I should think we could call it a day.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

"I casual pub player is gonna even consider chucking that in"?

Doesnt make sense, Col.
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

How many entries were there again?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Rout wrote:How many entries were there again?
just scraped the 128. Maybe 135 in total
UKDA 4 Life
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

So once you take out those chasing points, and county and good superleague players it certainly sounds to me like most pub players in the area didn't bother then
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I would wager that a proper weekend away with everything on one site like at Selsey or the Welsh Open appeals more to your average pub darter.

If you have to faff around taking your own caravan, or getting taxis from hotels, many just wont bother.

Do you think all the "pub darters" at Selsey are just those from the local area?
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

I said on real fanatics recently that I think a membership system for a fiver a year would benefit the system massively.

People were queuing up to tell me that the last thing people need is more expense. Even when I said make it two quid I got shot down about the extra cost for casual players which are already seen as too high.

Very easy to be flippant about a few extra quid for one event.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

I agree with Rout, there needs to be a membership system and an annual fee £5
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021