So who is to blame ?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
malcy93
Pub Champion

Re: So who is to blame ?

Post by malcy93 »

The BDO board reminds me of the comments Will Carling the former England rugby union captain made about the old blazers who ran the game being resistant to change when it moved from amateur to professionalism.

I think the BDO lost the opportunity about 5 years ago to see the change and embrace professionalism in expanding. So doing what the PDC have done with the Euro Tour and World Series before them. Now it's too late. The PDC have taken that potential market away from them. As Gary says what professional person would want to take on running the BDO given they know they are competing with the PDC and as Will Carling said all the "old farts" which is the BDO county blazers would never vote to remove their perks of freebies.

What anyway is the point of the BDO and EDO and WDF all being separate. They should merge into two. So a new world body which owns Lakeside and then the British and English parts merge to a new English body as you already have similar in Wales, Scotland etc.

Look at snooker but again that was Hearn. You turned a British organisation into a World body for snooker and that now gets much of its money from China and Europe so reliance on UK is much less.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

The most damning comment made: "the average bdo fan is not attending events like the wdt ".

When the loyal, faithful folk lose heart then the game is up.

lakeside will still draw folk: but is it drawing them to the venue and it's history and tradition? Move from there to somewhere in the UK and would ticket sales drop? I reckon so.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

People haven't given up or lost interest. It's just a complete lack of faith in the board.

Personally I had little faith the event would go ahead and I knew if I did go I'd be there with about 20 other people because the event was so poorly advertised and a lot of people shared the lack of trust.

People aren't going to make plans, book hotels, maybe time off work and commit to this sort of thing when there's been a history of messing people around and last minute cancellations.

There's a big difference between this and people not getting behind the system.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

The Board were/are so utterly inept, it does not matter who would take over, they not only destroyed it, they destroyed it for who ever would be stupid enough to want the job.

no one , not even miracle worker Barry Hearn could salvage the bdo now.
They should stick to running amateur comps in pubs and local leagues, its their level, they will never be bothering the PDC when it comes to proper TV darts.
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: So who is to blame ?

Post by ifm »

Rout wrote:
Garry Murphy wrote:
el_ringo wrote:Mr Murphy

Do you not think the people today are just a part of the continuation of blame ?

And the real people to blame are those that were in positions of authority in the late 80's early 90's which forced the professional end of the game to go their own way ?

The way I see it is the average fan is not attending BDO events, look at the Catas Trophy.
They on their own cannot change the board, that is the job of counties etc.

So here lies the problem, the Board is simply not good enough, mistake after mistake, and whilst not deliberate, its because they are not good enough, they are not fit ever run anything again.
Its up to the counties to represent their members and out the board, but who wants it ?
I believe whoever would want it would be as thick and dense as the idiots running it now.

If you want a business to be run proper and professionally you hire proper and professional people, its not rocket science.
I am not sure if Uncle Barry went there he could redeem anything , the miracle worker that he is.
The BDO will continue to run pub events, 2 bit international clusterfucks etc, but as an Org for Majors, that is over.
The lakeside contract with C4 is ending this year, Bob Potter aint no spring chicken, the PDC is growing exponentially things are gonna get worse.
and they deserve it all for their arrogance, stubbornness, attitude and lazy backwards belief.
You are quite right and not one person disagrees about this on here. Me, Ifm, paddy etc..... have all said on numerous occasions that the current board is not fit for purpose.

That doesn't mean I think everything about the BDO/WDF is shite. Nor does it mean I think everything about the BDO is amazing.
True

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: So who is to blame ?

Post by ifm »

devosteve wrote:The most damning comment made: "the average bdo fan is not attending events like the wdt ".

When the loyal, faithful folk lose heart then the game is up.

lakeside will still draw folk: but is it drawing them to the venue and it's history and tradition? Move from there to somewhere in the UK and would ticket sales drop? I reckon so.
Nobody knew it was on till a couple of weeks before and even then there was no confidence in it going ahead.
The attendance was more an indication that the board are useless than the bdo losing its fan base.

"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
The Shank
Superleague Player

Post by The Shank »

Rout wrote:People haven't given up or lost interest. It's just a complete lack of faith in the board.

Personally I had little faith the event would go ahead and I knew if I did go I'd be there with about 20 other people because the event was so poorly advertised and a lot of people shared the lack of trust.

People aren't going to make plans, book hotels, maybe time off work and commit to this sort of thing when there's been a history of messing people around and last minute cancellations.

Lots of truth there.

But does it explain the pathetic tv viewing figures?
"Russia committed worse atrocities than Hitler in WW2" - IFM.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

The Shank wrote:
Rout wrote:People haven't given up or lost interest. It's just a complete lack of faith in the board.

Lots of truth there.

But does it explain the pathetic tv viewing figures?
Well, yes. It does.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Little Lonely Garry
International

thats the excuse ??

They only had weeks to advertise a comp and it was not in its first year either.
Pathetic.

I thought the "Fanatics" that numbered thousands yet the crowd for the Catas Trophy could have arrived in one taxi
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Garry Murphy wrote:thats the excuse ?
There is no excuse. It was a shambles from start to finish and should never have gone ahead. Just as pretty much everyone has said all along.

You'll probably get told that 20 more times and it still won't sink in, because you read what you want to read rather than reading what people actually post.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Yes but who is to blame????
Little Lonely Garry
International

the counties have to take the burden of the blame

They are suppose to represent their players, they have the power to oust the board and done nothing but allow the rot to set in so bad it is now beyond fixing for so called proper tv events.
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Garry Murphy wrote:the counties have to take the burden of the blame

They are suppose to represent their players, they have the power to oust the board and done nothing but allow the rot to set in so bad it is now beyond fixing for so called proper tv events.

100% correct. And with TT's new proposal he wants county to overtake the World Champs with the amount of players getting in from the main table compared with players getting in from a UK based table with 20points for a county win. Crazy
JFT97
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Im curious, who do you think is suited to take over the board?

I ask because I can only see two options for the BDO

1 - Keep it in house (which will most probably mean the Jacklins get it) - May get some short term changes but the underlining issues will still be there and the opinion of the board will be just as bad.

2 - Go and get a business person to take it on - Will make sweeping changes but will want to run the organization as a profit business, which is what you and a lot of the people in the BDO hate Barry Hearn for doing.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:

1 - Keep it in house (which will most probably mean the Jacklins get it) - May get some short term changes but the underlining issues will still be there and the opinion of the board will be just as bad.

2 - Go and get a business person to take it on - Will make sweeping changes but will want to run the organization as a profit business, which is what you and a lot of the people in the BDO hate Barry Hearn for doing.
I don't know, but I would like to think that someone, somewhere could at the very least do what is being done now but without some of the ridiculously obvious mistakes
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

So, what is the solution then? Amalgamating with the PDC the only viable option?
Little Lonely Garry
International

Zapp Brannigan wrote:

The mentally stunted attitude of the rank and file would not accept some business man coming in.

Remember before the split the players wanted it and olly was having none of it, hence the split.,,,even his wife said on camera, "they are not dart people"
For the next quarter of a century plus the "family" line was spouted out.
When you hire amatuers to run your business , then your business will be amateur at best, pay peanuts you get monkeys.

I cannot see things improving, in fact it will get even worse, C4 might renew the contract if the bdo pays them, as no way will C4 pay them.
Bob Potter as said is no spring chicken and cannot see his family continuing the darts at the dump of a hotel,

I have zero sympathy for them, for years they used every opportunity to slag the PDC, even after the initial split they knowingly broke the law to try financially ruin those players that left and stop them provide for their family.

The rejected the offer from the PDC to buy them out, Uncle Barry laughed at his own stupidity years later, and reckon he would not want it now.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Bag Carrier wrote:
Garry Murphy wrote:the counties have to take the burden of the blame

100% correct. And with TT's new proposal he wants county to overtake the World Champs with the amount of players getting in from the main table compared with players getting in from a UK based table with 20points for a county win. Crazy
Hopefully everyone will get behind your proposal which will actually take power from the Williams's.

Madsocks
Little Lonely Garry
International

yeah cos tommy would do so much better.

He could waste more money on paying people to show the rubbish, providing one of his treasurers has not stuck it in a slot machine first
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

To clarify : they didn't reject the offer from hearn they rejected having a meeting to explore the offer. Unbelievable really.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.