A couple of questions for members

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Rout
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: A couple of questions for members

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:
Rout wrote:
Ginge wrote:Have the H*****s put the carvery back on again?
No. The people that did that got booted out of the pub for being behind in rent to the tube of 5 figures.
Didn't they move to the pub across the road from Gordon Rigg garden centre? Not the Hornet, the older one, forget the name.
Yeah the kingsway. It's a Sam Smiths pub and they only employ managers in pubs rather than having tenants.

The guy that owns SS brewery has a habit of employing them for just short of two years and then sacking them. As it's when you've been employed for 2 years that all your employment rights kick in. So he can't get done for wrongful dismissal.

They're not there now....
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Re: A couple of questions for members

Post by Ginge »

Sam Smiths pub in town is dying on its arse since the swearing ban came in, by all accounts. None of the tenants know what the owner looks like and he has a habit of going round the pubs sitting at the bar, so they have no option but to stick to his stupid rules.
Big Jock Knew
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Rout wrote:The existence of two organisations and two world championships has rarely bothered me

It's the people in charge of both that get on my tits.

There's a strong argument for the split being a healthy thing for darts imo. I know most won't agree but what's new there :)
Yeah, right.
Rout
International

Re: RE: Re: A couple of questions for members

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:Sam Smiths pub in town is dying on its arse since the swearing ban came in, by all accounts. None of the tenants know what the owner looks like and he has a habit of going round the pubs sitting at the bar, so they have no option but to stick to his stupid rules.
Humphry he's called. An enigma of a man. And an extraordinarily rich man. So many pubs owned totally outright and every single thing they sell down to the cordial, mixers', spirits and crisps they make themselves. Lots of the pubs he owns, he also owns a load of the land that surrounds it too.

He lives like a peasant by all accounts. I hate them pubs they are horrible. Most run down. No music. No tv. And most customers have been in since the second it opened. I've heard the same about his ridiculous swearing ban. His son is desperate to take over and modernise the business.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Banned all the bikers from one near Rotherham. He's nuts.
Big Jock Knew
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

Rout wrote:Best superleague team in lancs. Two Sunday teams, the Two top teams in the Rochdale league, the ladies champions and every single one approached me about playing from there. All league fees paid for all teams by the pub free food and new playing shirts thrown in. All the teams still playing there after 3 years.

It's only a packet of crisps pal, don't let it drag you down forever.

And we go back to the first problem, when you have your team manager influencing decisions on the county side by telling players if they come and play for them your guaranteed a place in county, which numerous people haven't got even though they're at the top of the qualification procedure.
It's a jolly up and no other words could say less.

Also it's only because that pub is the easiest to get to and they buy their beer from the "dodgy drey" that they play out of there.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:
Rout wrote:Best superleague team in lancs. Two Sunday teams, the Two top teams in the Rochdale league, the ladies champions and every single one approached me about playing from there. All league fees paid for all teams by the pub free food and new playing shirts thrown in. All the teams still playing there after 3 years.

It's only a packet of crisps pal, don't let it drag you down forever.

And we go back to the first problem, when you have your team manager influencing decisions on the county side by telling players if they come and play for them your guaranteed a place in county, which numerous people haven't got even though they're at the top of the qualification procedure.
It's a jolly up and no other words could say less.

Also it's only because that pub is the easiest to get to and they buy their beer from the "dodgy drey" that they play out of there.
You teach me so much about the pub trade. Keep you wonderful words of wisdom coming! I'll run that past Dave next time I see him.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Another happy customer
UKDA 4 Life
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Moongoose McQueeen wrote:Anyone who has been to an BDO ranked open in the last few years can attest that BDO darts is still very much alive.
Ive been to several and I respectfully disagree.
Which ones have you been to? Lincolnshire Open?
Lincs Open, The events at Magma recently (cant remember the name) Lakeside play offs every year that was at Hull bar 1, 4 (maybe 5) Masters floor days, Brid,

Yes the open scene is alive (the numbers are still going) but all you here is the constant arguments about how the people at the top are running the game and Ive never been convinced that the vast majority of players there actually care about the long term goal of the tour (ie qualifying for lakeside)

Opens will very much still live on (they do in every sport out there with a similar setup). I just think unless something massively changes top to bottom the BDO option for players ( small majors, Masters and Lakeside) will completely dissapear in the next 3 years.

If the Challenge and Development tour make another leap forward and start to offer things that would make the small number of people still chasing points (Some kind of even of season tournament for the challenge tour with the chance to be on TV, offer more incentives for the people getting to the top end of the rankings) Then I really dont see what the BDO can do to compete with that if they carry on as they are.
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

[quote="Rout"]You teach me so much about the pub trade. Keep you wonderful words of wisdom coming! I'll run that past Dave next time I see him.[/quote]

Well seeing as I used to work for Whitbread, yeah i know what i'm talking about. Just a shame you've no clue. Though theirs always one who thinks they no best unfortunately it's not you. Come back when you know a few things instead of believing things people rumoured to you :grin:

You tell Dave, cos if that's where your getting your info from then your truly stupid and under the spell of what the BDO weaves. :DDD:
copigme
Steady Sixties

Post by copigme »

Going out of business? No
But it has to get stronger. Maybe a bit bigger prizes. BDO and WDF have to get stronger outside of UK for their own good and for the middle level darter's good
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

It's been said time and time again; stop trying to be all things to all people. Concentrate on looking after the grass roots. Continuing to fight a losing battle with the PDC for darts at the top level makes no sense with new era after new era. The BDO should cease trying to be an alternative to the PDC but instead run alongside it with no restrictions to their competitions. For too long it has been a comfort zone for people wanting a free lunch.