Future for Darts Forums

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ChrisW
International

Future for Darts Forums

Post by ChrisW »

Seems I am not allowed to discuss the demise of TDF.
But how do members feel about the future of darts forums in general,

I personally feel they will be dead in 2-3 years from now.
We have seen two long standing ones deleted by the owners.

Most Mods/admins of all forums seem to be losing interest.

Can it be sustained by new mods and new initiatives or will it just slowly fade away.
ChrisW
International

Re: Future for Darts Forums

Post by ChrisW »

And before this gets locked....
The reason I post this is i think there is an alternative....

But before I post my views I will let this progress as a forum discussion.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Not specific to darts but I think all forums will disappear in a few years.

The first one I used probably 15 years ago now is a shadow of its former self. From many hundreds of posts a day it's now lucky some days to get double figures.

The only forum I still subscribe to which is still vibrant is one which asks its members to pay a small annual subscription to cover hosting costs. You can still be a member of the forum and post for free but some parts are for paying members only.

I think forums had a time and their members are probably now older and time poor (family, work etc.) as they have aged and few younger new members have joined.

About the only really vibrant forum I look at is digitalspy the entertainment site. That has a lot of female members. Does that tell you something that darts and other forums I frequented are very male dominated and guys just aren't interested these days.

I do think also a lot of debate has moved to closed groups of like minded people on Facebook as referenced here with BDO. A site I refuse to use, after a friend had horrible experience from stalker and faked profiles on there. Police refused to do anything as you need actual threats of violence before they are interested.
BeppeBergomi
The Ton Club

Re: RE: Future for Darts Forums

Post by BeppeBergomi »

ChrisW wrote:Seems I am not allowed to discuss the demise of TDF.

Can it be sustained by new mods and new initiatives or will it just slowly fade away.
I'm a member of TDF but I'm seeing no demise in there....

Banning some of the members though who always bullied new ones have encouraged new members to come in and say their opinion freely....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

The problem with darts discussion in general is that the biggest ever discussion point of it , the split, is barely relevant now to todays new fans.

Even now there is no longer any discussion over which side is 'best' the only real topic which keeps darts discussion alive is watching the death throws of the BDO.

Anyone who has become an avid fan of darts in the last 10 years since the Barney switch would barely know or care now anything BDO related and even now the talent pool of the BDO is so depleted there isn't really anyone who is 'known' to the average PDC fan bar Wolfie who would even cause a murmur if they swapped.

So really your left with talking about the PDC and their tournaments and if you are being honest that quickly becomes repetitive due to the amount of TV Tournaments they have.

I'm sure even by now Mr Murphy must have struggled at some points for his weekly award not to sound repetitive or even a new winner.

I don't think all forums will die as USenet , IRC etc are still going all that has happened is the faddy people have left them and they have contracted into more densely populated enviroments and the same will happen with forums there will just be a lot less but will in effect be bigger as the hardcore users will converge on what's left. Nothing on Facebook comes close to being near places like AVforums, Mumsnet etc.

My own personal opinion is that social networks will die out and when they begin to decay will collapse quite quickly as people will become more guarded of their privacy and anyone who wants to contact any old love,school friend,, workmate will have done so already. The challenge is really to think of what will replace social networking and earn yourself several billion dollars.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

TSOD is in a pretty healthy state... isn't it?

How much does it cost to run out of interest?
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Well the first thing i'd say is being told that you can't discuss something as harmless as a forum implosion, the next thing is having poor mods........
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Future for Darts Forums

Post by Ginge »

BeppeBergomi wrote:I'm a member of TDF but I'm seeing no demise in there....
You div, he was looking for someone else to bite to that one ffs.
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Future for Darts Forums

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:
BeppeBergomi wrote:I'm a member of TDF but I'm seeing no demise in there....
You div, he was looking for someone else to bite to that one ffs.
Behave, if the coward isn't posting nobody is, RIP
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

I'm Failing Miserably's continued participation is essential. To see such a narsicist continually force fed his dinner is highly amusing. Also enjoy a continual giggle at Salacious Crumb (aka ChrisW) hanging around the side of Jabba's throne, desperately seeking his approval. Keep up the good work, lads.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Murphio wrote:I'm Failing Miserably's continued participation is essential. To see such a narsicist continually force fed his dinner is highly amusing. Also enjoy a continual giggle at Salacious Crumb (aka ChrisW) hanging around the side of Jabba's throne, desperately seeking his approval. Keep up the good work, lads.
Go away scum bag.

Madsocks
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ifm wrote:
Murphio wrote:I'm Failing Miserably's continued participation is essential. To see such a narsicist continually force fed his dinner is highly amusing. Also enjoy a continual giggle at Salacious Crumb (aka ChrisW) hanging around the side of Jabba's throne, desperately seeking his approval. Keep up the good work, lads.
Go away scum bag.
Shooting fish in a barrell. :DDD:
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

*barrel

Madsocks
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ifm wrote:*barrel
Don't cry. :DDD:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Another thread heading for the big 'ol padlock.

I suppose saying something like the Frontrunner viewing figures were pathetic and dire will help that process along because Nick won't like that :D
Big Jock Knew
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

If you aren't fussed about darts politics there is very little to say that hasn't already been said.

TDF are still banging on about things that happened on here or df from 7 or 8 years ago. That should tell you all you need to know about "darts chat"
UKDA 4 Life
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:If you aren't fussed about darts politics there is very little to say that hasn't already been said.

TDF are still banging on about things that happened on here or df from 7 or 8 years ago. That should tell you all you need to know about "darts chat"
TDF is losing its appeal rapidly.
Mostly just read over there now.
Mainly post here.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:If you aren't fussed about darts politics there is very little to say that hasn't already been said.

And df is just 5 people talking about anything other than darts

And this place is just a constant pdc vs bdo argument

Forums are dying, the only reason this and df are around is because of the friendships people have forged

Facebook groups have taken over the for the people less tech savvy to find forums and those that used to use forums go on Reddit now, it's all I use.

Aside from the friendships I'd be shocked if they forums were around by the end of next year
Thehateful180
The Ton Club

Post by Thehateful180 »

One thing I have noticed is that this forum rarely gets posts on live darts. But then twitter is ideal for that. thedartsforum.co.uk was simply deleted on the whim of an egomaniacal imbecile so it shows how fragile a forum lifespan can be.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

ChrisW wrote:Seems I am not allowed to discuss the demise of TDF.

I would imagine John locked it to stop it from turning into a slanging match, I locked the cork thread last night before I went to bed because people were starting to get a tad silly.

On dart forums we've been saying this for years, it used to be that everyone used them but now it's just a hard core of people, they do still have their place though because they are moderated whereas facebook et al are not. On TDF I have not even visited for months, disagree with they way they allow people to slag others off constantly and the anything goes as long as it generates traffic policy.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am