Integrity in sport - How does darts compare?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
BlueSpark
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Integrity in sport - How does darts compare?

Post by BlueSpark »

ifm wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
ifm wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
ifm wrote:Apart from all the others, I can't think of one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Apart from all the others?
Well what were they?
Jackpotjoy was one

Well yes.
But there have been plenty apparently
Yes, apart from all the others

I sense a whoosh or an Ian slap down attempt.
So apparently there have been plenty, but you don't know what they were, so there we are.
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Integrity in sport - How does darts compare?

Post by Skewball »

BlueSpark wrote:
ifm wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
ifm wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Well what were they?
Jackpotjoy was one

Well yes.

So apparently there have been plenty, but you don't know what they were, so there we are.
give him time, he is off googling now for previous BDO gambling sponsors!! :)
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Integrity in sport - How does darts compare?

Post by ifm »

BlueSpark wrote:
ifm wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
ifm wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Well what were they?
Jackpotjoy was one

Well yes.

I was taking the piss because you obviously thought he was correct then remembered jackpotjoy so you quickly said apart from.....
It's like the what have Romans done for us scene in LOB

"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Skewball
International

Re: Integrity in sport - How does darts compare?

Post by Skewball »

'I was Joking'
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

I really enjoyed the 2011 premier league match between Gary Anderson and Adrian Lewis, which Anderson admitted throwing.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Oops sorry wrong thread
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Darts, snooker and tennis are probably the easiest sports to fix.....
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Darts, snooker and tennis are probably the easiest sports to fix.....
You're probably right, but the overall public perception seems to be different. That interested me, and was one of the reasons I started the thread. I was curious to see what other darts fans take on it was.
It could be the list of sports you've identified as most corruptible are only so from the perspective of traditional betting markets i.e. betting on the winner of an event.

Modern markets where you can be on virtually any aspect of a sporting event make spot fixing much easier for team sports, cricket being the obvious example that. If you want an insight into just how easy (and prevalent) spot fixing is in cricket, read "Bookie Gambler Fixer Spy" by Ed Hawkins. It's a frightening read, and I guarantee you'll never watch cricket in the same way again.

Also don't forget, the list is about the overall corruption of sport, not just match fixing, which is why cycling does so badly on the list despite it being virtually impossible to rig a race (road race anyway).
Rout
International

Re: RE: Re: Integrity in sport - How does darts compare?

Post by Rout »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:Darts, snooker and tennis are probably the easiest sports to fix.....
You're probably right, but the overall public perception seems to be different. That interested me, and was one of the reasons I started the thread. I was curious to see what other darts fans take on it was.
It could be the list of sports you've identified as most corruptible are only so from the perspective of traditional betting markets i.e. betting on the winner of an event.

Modern markets where you can be on virtually any aspect of a sporting event make spot fixing much easier for team sports, cricket being the obvious example that. If you want an insight into just how easy (and prevalent) spot fixing is in cricket, read "Bookie Gambler Fixer Spy" by Ed Hawkins. It's a frightening read, and I guarantee you'll never watch cricket in the same way again.

Also don't forget, the list is about the overall corruption of sport, not just match fixing, which is why cycling does so badly on the list despite it being virtually impossible to rig a race (road race anyway).
Most major bookies take bets on things like which will be the first dart and 1st double hit etc.... along with things like 180 hitting, over and under bets etc it will be a piece of piss to fix something without compromising the overall result or involving anyone else just like spot fixing.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Re: RE: Re: Integrity in sport - How does darts compare?

Rout wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

Most major bookies take bets on things like which will be the first dart and 1st double hit etc.... along with things like 180 hitting, over and under bets etc it will be a piece of piss to fix something without compromising the overall result or involving anyone else just like spot fixing.
Absolutely. It wasn't my intention to suggest spot fixing is limited to team sports, but to highlight that spot fixing makes team sports just as easy to corrupt as individual ones.
FW 180
Feather Flights

Post by FW 180 »

Interesting position of cycling in relation to Rugby, Athletics and Tennis.

Out of those mentioned Cycling imo has done far more to repair its reputation over the last few years. Others still have their heads in the sand to an extent.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

FW 180 wrote:Interesting position of cycling in relation to Rugby, Athletics and Tennis.

Out of those mentioned Cycling imo has done far more to repair its reputation over the last few years. Others still have their heads in the sand to an extent.
I'm actually surprised cycling finished as high as it did. I figured its (well-deserved) bad reputation would endure for a lot longer, regardless of the sport's efforts to clean itself up.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

FW 180 wrote:Interesting position of cycling in relation to Rugby, Athletics and Tennis.

Welcome to the forum.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
FW 180
Feather Flights

Post by FW 180 »

Cheers.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

But cycling is starting it's climb back to respectability from a much lower base than any sport I can think of.
It's not all that long ago you could randomly select any member of the peloton in any professional race and be confident they were on drugs. I can't think of any other sport that has endured such systematic cheating for so long.
And the man in the street is never going to have faith in cycling whilst you've got people like Greg Lamonde accusing Team Sky of cheating during this years Tour De France.

Cycling may have done a lot to clean up it's act, but it's got a very long to way to go before it's considered trustworthy again.
FW 180
Feather Flights

Post by FW 180 »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

But cycling is starting it's climb back to respectability from a much lower base than any sport I can think of.
It's not all that long ago you could randomly select any member of the peloton in any professional race and be confident they were on drugs. I can't think of any other sport that has endured such systematic cheating for so long.
And the man in the street is never going to have faith in cycling whilst you've got people like Greg Lamonde accusing Team Sky of cheating during this years Tour De France.

Cycling may have done a lot to clean up it's act, but it's got a very long to way to go before it's considered trustworthy again.
More than any other sport....cleaner these days than tennis, rugby and certainly athletics.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

Good to see 2 new posters debate in such a measured and articulate fashion, and without having to resort to insults.

Puts some of our more established members to shame.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

More than any other sport....cleaner these days than tennis, rugby and certainly athletics.
Howay lad, what brings you over here?
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

There were more drug cheats caught cycling in 2016 than there were tennis players.

Just saying.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

It may well be cleaner than the sports you mention (I myself am not convinced, but it sounds like you probably know a lot more about cycling than me).
However the point in question is the public perception of the sport, not the reality.
For anyone who does not follow cycling closely enough to see what measures the UCI have taken to clean up the sport, the likelihood is they still think most of the peloton are doping.
In the news this year alone, as well as Lamonde's outburst at this years tour, we've had the infamous Team Sky jiffy bag and Bradley Wiggins with enough TUE certificates to re-paper his living room.
To someone who may just read about cycling when it appears in their morning paper, it really doesn't look good.