Integrity in sport - How does darts compare?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
FW 180
Feather Flights

Re: Integrity in sport - How does darts compare?

Post by FW 180 »

Booji Boy wrote:
FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
FW 180 wrote:Interesting position of cycling in relation to Rugby, Athletics and Tennis.

Out of those mentioned Cycling imo has done far more to repair its reputation over the last few years. Others still have their heads in the sand to an extent.
But cycling is starting it's climb back to respectability from a much lower base than any sport I can think of.
It's not all that long ago you could randomly select any member of the peloton in any professional race and be confident they were on drugs. I can't think of any other sport that has endured such systematic cheating for so long.
And the man in the street is never going to have faith in cycling whilst you've got people like Greg Lamonde accusing Team Sky of cheating during this years Tour De France.

Cycling may have done a lot to clean up it's act, but it's got a very long to way to go before it's considered trustworthy again.
More than any other sport....cleaner these days than tennis, rugby and certainly athletics.
Howay lad, what brings you over here?
Its Haway..;)

Bit of crack really.....long time reader :)
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

FW 180 wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
FW 180 wrote:Interesting position of cycling in relation to Rugby, Athletics and Tennis.

Out of those mentioned Cycling imo has done far more to repair its reputation over the last few years. Others still have their heads in the sand to an extent.
But cycling is starting it's climb back to respectability from a much lower base than any sport I can think of.
It's not all that long ago you could randomly select any member of the peloton in any professional race and be confident they were on drugs. I can't think of any other sport that has endured such systematic cheating for so long.
And the man in the street is never going to have faith in cycling whilst you've got people like Greg Lamonde accusing Team Sky of cheating during this years Tour De France.

Cycling may have done a lot to clean up it's act, but it's got a very long to way to go before it's considered trustworthy again.
More than any other sport....cleaner these days than tennis, rugby and certainly athletics.
Howay lad, what brings you over here?
Its Haway..;)

Bit of crack really.....long time reader :)
I lived in Consett it was Howay!!!! :grin:
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Build a wall from Watford across
Last edited by nikkiboy on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moaners :)
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

nikkiboy wrote:Northern monkeys
Ifm can you take a look at the above post for me please?
FW 180
Feather Flights

Post by FW 180 »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

It may well be cleaner than the sports you mention (I myself am not convinced, but it sounds like you probably know a lot more about cycling than me).
However the point in question is the public perception of the sport, not the reality.
For anyone who does not follow cycling closely enough to see what measures the UCI have taken to clean up the sport, the likelihood is they still think most of the peloton are doping.
In the news this year alone, as well as Lamonde's outburst at this years tour, we've had the infamous Team Sky jiffy bag and Bradley Wiggins with enough TUE certificates to re-paper his living room.
To someone who may just read about cycling when it appears in their morning paper, it really doesn't look good.
Pretty much agree regarding public perception......The Armstrong scandal was cyclings pandora's box moment. Not certain athletics for example has had its own despite numerous high profile scandals. I'm not 100% convinced by the likes of Bolt and Farrah.....the cynic in me thinks when its to good to be true...etc.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

It may well be cleaner than the sports you mention (I myself am not convinced, but it sounds like you probably know a lot more about cycling than me).
However the point in question is the public perception of the sport, not the reality.
For anyone who does not follow cycling closely enough to see what measures the UCI have taken to clean up the sport, the likelihood is they still think most of the peloton are doping.
In the news this year alone, as well as Lamonde's outburst at this years tour, we've had the infamous Team Sky jiffy bag and Bradley Wiggins with enough TUE certificates to re-paper his living room.
To someone who may just read about cycling when it appears in their morning paper, it really doesn't look good.
Pretty much agree regarding public perception......The Armstrong scandal was cyclings pandora's box moment. Not certain athletics for example has had its own despite numerous high profile scandals. I'm not 100% convinced by the likes of Bolt and Farrah.....the cynic in me thinks when its to good to be true...etc.
Theres a massive US sports radio host I follow alot (Colin Cowherd) and hes convinced Bolt is and always has been doping, its just going to take the next level of drug testing for it to all come out retrospectively.
Serpo
Brass Darts

Post by Serpo »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: But cycling is starting it's climb back to respectability from a much lower base than any sport I can think of.

Theres a massive US sports radio host I follow alot (Colin Cowherd) and hes convinced Bolt is and always has been doping, its just going to take the next level of drug testing for it to all come out retrospectively.
Seeing as there is no out of season drug testing in Jamaica it is highly likely.
FW 180
Feather Flights

Post by FW 180 »

Serpo wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
FW 180 wrote:
Seeing as there is no out of season drug testing in Jamaica it is highly likely.
Kerching....pretty much non existent. Its more likely that if even if Bolt tested positive there's more chance if would be swept under the carpet anyway.
Serpo
Brass Darts

Post by Serpo »

FW 180 wrote:
Serpo wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
FW 180 wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: It may well be cleaner than the sports you mention (I myself am not convinced, but it sounds like you probably know a lot more about cycling than me).
Kerching....pretty much non existent. Its more likely that if even if Bolt tested positive there's more chance if would be swept under the carpet anyway.
Jamaican drug testers spend all day drinking red stripe, wearing straw hats, smoking ganja on a hammock strapped between 2 palm trees.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Its much easier to miss a double or miss a black than take the risk of failing a drug test and there is no way of proving it........well apart from betting patterns that is.......but is that absolute?
Last edited by Paddy McGinty on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

I really enjoyed Gary Anderson 5-4 Darryl fitton in the 2008 grand slam of darts group stages.

Incredible luck for both players that the only result came up which ensured both friends advanced from the group, regardless of results elsewhere in the group.
Last edited by Rout on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Sorry wrong thread
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

For sports like darts and snooker there aren't actually many performance enhancing drugs apart from beta blockers which the PDC took a long time to ban. The bans for recreational drugs are just political as need to be seen to be taking action rather than the person having an unfair advantage.

I think darts doesn't have the bad image of other sports for drugs taking. Cycling is obviously the one most associated in the public's view not helped by the Wiggins TUE controversy. If he'd been a foreigner the British press would have been screaming for a ban and removal of prior wins. You also feel in athletics another drug cheat is just around the corner. Farah doesn't do himself any favours by staying with his dodgy coach in the US, which the press do regularly refer to.

Regarding match fixing in darts the public probably don't realise the opportunities. So in particular with the Premier League playing dead matches and allowing a draw rather than requiring a win same in the GSOD group stage. I guess we haven't seen the spit fixing issues of other sports as darts really isn't a big sport in India and Asia but as others have said it's format gives you plenty of opportunity.
Basgooner
County Player

Post by Basgooner »

Skewball wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:How do you throw a golf tournament?
Matchplay maybe. That's about it.
you can agree to lose at any sport :)
Exactly

Pretty easy to lose at anything with the right talent lol
Basgooner
County Player

Post by Basgooner »

Agree with this wholeheartedly

Regularly speak to people at work about cycling and normally the cheating is mentioned more often than not. A stigma I guess
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Rout wrote:I really enjoyed Gary Anderson 5-4 Darryl fitton in the 2008 grand slam of darts group stages.

Incredible luck for both players that the only result came up which ensured both friends advanced from the group, regardless of results elsewhere in the group.
It's ok, he was cleared.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

I really liked that game between Anderson v Robson in 2006.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Sorry wrong thread
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

I feel some GSOD matches will be mentioned soon, oh blimey i forgot the CLOD :)
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Rout
International

Re: RE: Re: Integrity in sport - How does darts compare?

Post by Rout »

ifm wrote:I feel some GSOD matches will be mentioned soon, oh blimey i forgot the CLOD :)
Noone mention the fact that the supposed 2 best players in the world shared their prize money for many years. Impacting on the integrity of every final they ever played.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.