PDC Qualifying School- Wigan/Hildesheim 18th-21st January 2018

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The Jolly Man
County Player

Re: PDC 2018 Tour Calender

Post by The Jolly Man »

It's out! 13 Euro tour event, Copenhagen confirmed and a 2nd one in Netherlands. Challenge Tour and Development tour both up to 5 weeks.

An extra Q-School will be held in Europe, with one Challenge tour venue to be confirmed so possible to have one on the continent . Would seem that there will be no stand alone European challenge tour.

PL will go to Germany s well.

WSOD doesn't seem to get mentioned.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Wonder how the q-school in Europe will work. PDC Europe don't seem to think that the Challenge Tour is heading its way, though there is the weekend that has no location.

However who do the PDC expect to turn up? Why would any player turn up who has no chance of a tour card, of which that would be most, then not be able to play anywhere in Europe? It's not like the challenge tour is currently attracting Europeans. Putting a q-school in Germany will surely not change that.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

The Jolly Man wrote:Wonder how the q-school in Europe will work. PDC Europe don't seem to think that the Challenge Tour is heading its way, though there is the weekend that has no location.

However who do the PDC expect to turn up? Why would any player turn up who has no chance of a tour card, of which that would be most, then not be able to play anywhere in Europe? It's not like the challenge tour is currently attracting Europeans. Putting a q-school in Germany will surely not change that.
I get the impression not all has been revealed.

I wouldnt be surprised if the full details or more information will be given out by Hearn in an interview similar to what he did with Snooker at the worlds. Get on the BBC and release something.

There has to be more to the European Qschool than "oh yeah we are splitting Q School up". How will the tour cards on offer split, will there be a bigger appeal for European players to do the full tour, what about european players who miss out.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:Wonder how the q-school in Europe will work. PDC Europe don't seem to think that the Challenge Tour is heading its way, though there is the weekend that has no location.

I wouldnt be surprised if the full details or more information will be given out by Hearn in an interview similar to what he did with Snooker at the worlds. Get on the BBC and release something.

There has to be more to the European Qschool than "oh yeah we are splitting Q School up". How will the tour cards on offer split, will there be a bigger appeal for European players to do the full tour, what about european players who miss out.
Would imagine it''ll make it easier for European players to get a card. With the ET tour expanding. It's where the majority the revenue from the tour is coming from.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:I still dont get why Duzza moans about having to do Qschool 5 days after the lakeside final yet didnt have a go at the Challenge tour route. He could be sat with a tour card right now with his mind completely on defending his title.
Especially as he has reduced his playing commitments on the BDO circuit this year and probably would have had enough time...
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Zeyes wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:I still dont get why Duzza moans about having to do Qschool 5 days after the lakeside final yet didnt have a go at the Challenge tour route. He could be sat with a tour card right now with his mind completely on defending his title.
Especially as he has reduced his playing commitments on the BDO circuit this year and probably would have had enough time...
He has his own mind, now as Lakeside champion he can do whatever he desires.........if you take Duzza's comments as gospel you need to give your head a shake.....
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

will Lakeside contracts have to be amended to include both PDC qualifying schools for those who play at lakeside .
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

WCDPA wrote:will Lakeside contracts have to be amended to include both PDC qualifying schools for those who play at lakeside .
Why would they need to do that. Surely the current contract isn't as specific as naming a q-school in Wigan?
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

The Jolly Man wrote:
WCDPA wrote:will Lakeside contracts have to be amended to include both PDC qualifying schools for those who play at lakeside .
Why would they need to do that. Surely the current contract isn't as specific as naming a q-school in Wigan?
Says PDC qualifying school one might be called European qualifying school , couldn't ban players from SDC or players who played in European qualifying events .
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:

You could split the tour cards on offer 50/50 then have an amalgamated back up list. Certainly last year a good number of Europeans were reaching later stages every day.

The Dutch euro event is happening this weekend so maybe that's the place for a further announcement, especially if the NDB talks have progressed. But saying that the development tour has stuck to the 5 weekends and doesn't seem to be changing. You would think any working together would see a Dev tour weekend on Netherlands.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

WCDPA wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
Says PDC qualifying school one might be called European qualifying school , couldn't ban players from SDC or players who played in European qualifying events .
Until the pdc announce what the euro q-school is for you won't know. Will players have to become pdpa members? Is it a straight split from original?

When do the contracts get issued? Could the pdc wait till then and just mess with it?
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

The Jolly Man wrote: Until the pdc announce what the euro q-school is for you won't know. Will players have to become pdpa members? Is it a straight split from original?
What else could it be, given that it's set to run at the same time as the one in Wigan?
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Surely the European qschool is to scrap the European tour Europe qualifiers and attract sponsors.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

The introduction of a second Qschool might have something to do with the fact that they take in 6 figures in entry fees without having to pay a penny out in prize money.

I'm surprised they don't have qschool every week.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

The Jolly Man wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:

You could split the tour cards on offer 50/50 then have an amalgamated back up list. Certainly last year a good number of Europeans were reaching later stages every day.

The Dutch euro event is happening this weekend so maybe that's the place for a further announcement, especially if the NDB talks have progressed. But saying that the development tour has stuck to the 5 weekends and doesn't seem to be changing. You would think any working together would see a Dev tour weekend on Netherlands.
Im thinking more along the lines of either making the pro tour events free for tour card holders (a massive incentive to going to Qschool and actually getting a card) or like what Paul says the PDC have become the UK body for darts, but yeah any Dutch news might come this weekend.

This all seems like an outline of more to come. No mention of the world series (that news will probably come at the final in the Autum) no increase in Challenge tour when its been openly rumored for months, no mention of how the 2 q schools work (if its split 50-50 the numbers will be massively down on the UK one), 2 TV events have their venues not on there (Champions league of darts, WSOD finals) and am I right in saying this year is the last year of the agreement with the BDO on the GSOD.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Im thinking more along the lines of either making the pro tour events free for tour card holders (a massive incentive to going to Qschool and actually getting a card) or like what Paul says the PDC have become the UK body for darts, but yeah any Dutch news might come this weekend.

This all seems like an outline of more to come. No mention of the world series (that news will probably come at the final in the Autum) no increase in Challenge tour when its been openly rumored for months, no mention of how the 2 q schools work (if its split 50-50 the numbers will be massively down on the UK one), 2 TV events have their venues not on there (Champions league of darts, WSOD finals) and am I right in saying this year is the last year of the agreement with the BDO on the GSOD.

Finding the balance will be key in the q-school tour card discussion. However if you look at how the Europeans have done in the last year or two at q-school some brits should be happy they aren't there.

I can see the BDO getting a reduced entry to the GSOD and some places going to regional representatives however there is a risk that you end up with the same player qualifying for both worlds and GSOD. Maybe the pdc could look to use the Oceanic Masters champ as entry to the GSOD and not a place to the Worlds. Likewise in America you could have a one off North American champ from a tournament then the world champ qualifier comes from an OOM. Though however they do it will the pdc want to keep offering places to the BDO?

I can't see the WSOD changing much. The balance is just about there unless you expand it even further, which would require a major investment and probably a requirement event became ranking as the top players would surely have to start missing to much of the current ranked season
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

European players getting a tour card -
2015 - 4 players
2016 - 6 players
2017 - 6 players

I'd assume the Euro Q-School will have at least 8 cards on offer, so this will definitely help them and weaken the chances of British players to get a card. Hearn also tweeted that there are additional places for Europeans.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

MancheStar wrote:Surely the European qschool is to scrap the European tour Europe qualifiers and attract sponsors.
Huh?
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

26scored wrote:European players getting a tour card -
2015 - 4 players
2016 - 6 players
2017 - 6 players

I'd assume the Euro Q-School will have at least 8 cards on offer, so this will definitely help them and weaken the chances of British players to get a card. Hearn also tweeted that there are additional places for Europeans.
I could easily see them stick with 16 automatic cards for the UK and only 4 for Europe, and then either split the remainder 50/50 or base the split on the entry numbers. I doubt the Euro event will support more than that, anyway...would surprise me a bit if they manage to fill 128-player draws in the first year for the European QS, considering the price tag will probably be the same as the UK one.

Edit: On second thought, I see they had about 70 European players in this year's Q School. Maybe 128 is doable after all. Depends on how many of them just went for the experience, which might be less of a drawing card this year with a separated Euro QS.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Zeyes wrote:
26scored wrote:European players getting a tour card -
2015 - 4 players
2016 - 6 players
2017 - 6 players

I could easily see them stick with 16 automatic cards for the UK and only 4 for Europe, and then either split the remainder 50/50 or base the split on the entry numbers. I doubt the Euro event will support more than that, anyway...would surprise me a bit if they manage to fill 128-player draws in the first year for the European QS, considering the price tag will probably be the same as the UK one.
Numbers will surely depend on what they are offered. Will they restrict entry to euro tour qualifiers on those who go to q-school?

To go after 4 spots (if that's the case) would also reduce numbers, how would the OOM between the two q-schools work to fill up pro tours?