What are majors in your opinion

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Murphio
International

Re: What are majors in your opinion

Post by Murphio »

Lakeside Championship. World Championship. World Matchplay. World Grand Prix. UK Open. Grand Slam.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Skewball wrote:
ifm wrote:
Skewball wrote:
ifm wrote:
Skewball wrote:Grand Slam is a major title in darts to winno matter how you cut it.

And as for WDT being a major......... :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
Did you not understand the title of the thread Diane?
Yes dear, and do you know what, in my opinion, I think about someone else having the opinion that the WDT is a Major.. ..... :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
Diane making a statement in an opinion thread and then not noticing, dear lord :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
oh for fek sake, do you really think that? Of course I did, everything on the forum is fekkin opinion. Are you that desperate to try and get a little victory after your embarrassing run. Dear Lord, as you would say.
Still ignoring me i see :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

In what way can a tournament where one-quarter of the field comes from another organisation be considered a PDC major? I also think the fact that a quarter of the field gets in through a one-off qualifier, and you can also qualify through winning or being a runner-up in an invitational event counts against it.

Question - would people think it was a PDC Major if it was still a non-ranking event - which is exactly what it should be?
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Addicks Fan wrote:In what way can a tournament where one-quarter of the field comes from another organisation be considered a PDC major? I also think the fact that a quarter of the field gets in through a one-off qualifier, and you can also qualify through winning or being a runner-up in an invitational event counts against it.
Alas, there goes the UK Open, too.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Addicks Fan wrote:In what way can a tournament where one-quarter of the field comes from another organisation be considered a PDC major? I also think the fact that a quarter of the field gets in through a one-off qualifier, and you can also qualify through winning or being a runner-up in an invitational event counts against it.

Question - would people think it was a PDC Major if it was still a non-ranking event - which is exactly what it should be?
I don't think there is a definition of a major but i think if there were there would need to be some sort of qualification criteria, the GSOD has none for the BDO players has it? Seems to change at the whim of the board, Sue could put her husband in if she wished.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Zeyes wrote:
So you agree then?
26scored
Pub Champion

Re: RE: Re: What are majors in your opinion

Post by 26scored »

I think of it as a major because of the prestige and the long format. It's one of the biggest events in the calendar. Yes technically it's not a "PDC major" but a major nevertheless IMO.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Addicks Fan wrote:In what way can a tournament where one-quarter of the field comes from another organisation be considered a PDC major?
You would first need to define the criteria of a major in the first place and I suggest you might have trouble with that.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Are we also to rule out the Matchplay as a 'major' for all the years it was open to the likes of Ronnie Baxter and Martin Adams?
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Murphio wrote:Are we also to rule out the Matchplay as a 'major' for all the years it was open to the likes of Ronnie Baxter and Martin Adams?
No
Mate
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Murphio wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:In what way can a tournament where one-quarter of the field comes from another organisation be considered a PDC major?
You would first need to define the criteria of a major in the first place and I suggest you might have trouble with that.
This is the difficulty, but if you go simply on prize money, or importance to players, then you could add several more to the list.

I think a major needs to have at least 32 in the field, be a straight knockout, have well-defined qualification criteria, not have a significant number of wildcards, and have kudos within the sport.

In other words you have to earn the right to be there, and you have to win all your matches to win the thing once you're there. Only an opinion of course :)

I just don't see the GSOD as a major, which doesn't mean that I don't think it's a great tournament, because it is one of my favourites!
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Murphio wrote:Are we also to rule out the Matchplay as a 'major' for all the years it was open to the likes of Ronnie Baxter and Martin Adams?
No! It was a major open to all darts players, wish there were more of them!
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

World Masters is a major and if anyone thinks otherwise its clear as day they have some sort of an agenda against the BDO
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Oh no!!!!!
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

oche balboa wrote:World Masters is a major and if anyone thinks otherwise its clear as day they have some sort of an agenda against the BDO
Hahahahahaha
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Addicks Fan wrote:
I agree - I don't understand then your argument re a portion of field in the Slam coming from the BDO undermining its case to be regarded as a major. This was the case for a few years in the Matchplay. In any case it's probably arbitrary. To me the Slam is arguably the second biggest comp in darts precisely because it is as close to a cross code event as there is. If it isn't a major then the criteria must be a pretty closed shop.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Murphio wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:
I agree - I don't understand then your argument re a portion of field in the Slam coming from the BDO undermining its case to be regarded as a major. This was the case for a few years in the Matchplay. In any case it's probably arbitrary. To me the Slam is arguably the second biggest comp in darts precisely because it is as close to a cross code event as there is. If it isn't a major then the criteria must be a pretty closed shop.
It's more the way they've been chosen over the years - as Ian said, the criteria for the BDO players are arbitrary. Yes, they've done it sensibly in the last couple of years, but I think for a major it needs to be properly defined.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Addicks Fan wrote:
Zeyes wrote:
So you agree then?
Not really, I just find it interesting how much more angst there is about the Grand Slam for some reason.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

BDO- Lakeside and Masters

PDC- UK Open, PL, Matchplay, Grand Prix, Grand Slam, European Championships, Players Championship and Worlds.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
WhatHasHappened
Brass Darts

Post by WhatHasHappened »

BDO- World Pro, World Masters

PDC- (if I was to pick 4, like in the tennis and golf) it would be, Ally Pally, Matchplay, Grand Prix, Grand Slam

Only Uk open and Players championship could come into consideration in my opinion