Was Martin the greatest dart player of all time?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Murphio
International

Re: Was John the greatest dart player of all time?

Post by Murphio »

Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:Taylor
RVB
MVG
Bristow
Lowe
Anderson G
Anderson B
Wilson
Part
Adams
No Priestley?
Furthermore his overall record is not that great. Two WC's and masters thats all he won.
Yeah but he was playing against the guy you have at number one. I'd have Priestley ahead of Adams and Part at the very least but each to their own.
nevil22
Pub Champion

Post by nevil22 »

John Lowe is my favourite player of all time, had the privilege of playing him a few times. A true gentleman. One of the all time greats. Actually saw him lose his first game for England v Wales whilst playing Tom Bodenham at Pennar Park. Still gave me his flights after the match.
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

Taylor
Bristow
Lowe
B.Anderson
MVG
Priestley
Jocky
Barney
G.Anderson
Part
Thinking of one.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
RVB
MVG
Bristow
Lowe
Anderson G
Anderson B
Wilson
Part
Adams
No Priestley?
Furthermore his overall record is not that great. Two WC's and masters thats all he won.
Yeah but he was playing against the guy you have at number one. I'd have Priestley ahead of Adams and Part at the very least but each to their own.
Yes but if we wanted your selection we would have asked for it...... :grin:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: Was John the greatest dart player of all time?

Post by ifm »

Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
RVB
MVG
Bristow
Lowe
Anderson G
Anderson B
Wilson
Part
Adams
No Priestley?
G Anderson "only" won 2.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Booji Boy
International

Re: RE: Re: Was John the greatest dart player of all time?

Post by Booji Boy »

ifm wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
RVB
MVG
Bristow
Lowe
Anderson G
Anderson B
Wilson
Part
Adams
No Priestley?
G Anderson "only" won 2.

Amongst a few other majors.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
RVB
MVG
Bristow
Lowe
Anderson G
Anderson B
Wilson
Part
Adams
No Priestley?
Would make for a pretty boring discussion Padds if it's just to be a succession of lists.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Murphio wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote: No Priestley?
Would make for a pretty boring discussion Padds if it's just to be a succession of lists.
The discussion was about John being the best all round player ever and so far I can not see anyone getting remotely close to his record except for Martin Adams who won 9 pentathlons. Aiming for the 20 most of the time in some robotic manner does not require the skill level of playing various games utilising the whole of the dart board.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Did John Lowe win all of his Pentathlons in a unified field?
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote:Did John Lowe win all of his Pentathlons in a unified field?
I believe so, but don't quote me on that.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

It was certainly on regulation equipment.

"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Also this great player's favourite double was bull and he left it on many occasions when there were other alternatives.......I bet Murph the finishing expert is having a breakdown hearing this news.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
The discussion was about John being the best all round player ever and so far I can not see anyone getting remotely close to his record except for Martin Adams who won 9 pentathlons. Aiming for the 20 most of the time in some robotic manner does not require the skill level of playing various games utilising the whole of the dart board.
I never proclaimed myself an expert Paddy - I simply refuted your statement that there is no right or wrong way to go. There is... the way that gives you a distinct statictical advantage. That a player chooses to ignore that advantage is up to them. Doesn't change the fact, though.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Murphio wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Murphio wrote: Yeah but he was playing against the guy you have at number one. I'd have Priestley ahead of Adams and Part at the very least but each to their own.
I never proclaimed myself an expert Paddy - I simply refuted your statement that there is no right or wrong way to go. There is... the way that gives you a distinct statictical advantage. That a player chooses to ignore that advantage is up to them. Doesn't change the fact, though.
you fail to comprehend the human interaction, players aren't machines, a players advantage comes when he steps up to the ache confident in his ability to hit what he chooses to go for......... not what Murph and his magical spreadsheet demands......
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
you fail to comprehend the human interaction, players aren't machines, a players advantage comes when he steps up to the ache confident in his ability to hit what he chooses to go for......... not what Murph and his magical spreadsheet demands......
I don't demand anything Paddy. If a player deliberately backs him/herself into a corner with a dart in hand they can doing nothing with that is their look out.
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

He is blatantly not the greatest, but not far from there.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

How often did Bristow, Taylor, Barney etc...participate? Is there an overview?
dartsdatabase is listing "only" the top 4 players and not all years.

Did Barney ever play?

Finals ddb:
Lowe: 10-2
Bristow: 2-2
Taylor: 2-0
Alan Warriner-Litle: 1-2
++++++++++++++++
Adams: 12-2?
Played 25 times
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Adams only 9 times? Source?
This is saying 12 times out of 25.
http://www.englanddarts.co.uk/Pentathlon.htm
bukowski
Steady Sixties

Post by bukowski »

1. Eric Bristow
2. Phil Taylor
3. John Lowe
4. Raymond van Barneveld
5. Jocky Wilson
6. Bobby George
7. Deta Hedman
8. Martin Phillips
9. Mike Gregory
10. Martin Adams
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

Bob Anderson with his 3 consecutive masters wins playing from round 1 surely must be the greatest achievement in darts history?