Wes Newton

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Wes Newton

Post by Ginge »

2013 and 2014 - plays in PDC Premier League
October 2017 - set to lose tour card as a result of not being in Top 64 of the Order of Merit at the end of this year (although could still qualify for the Worlds and save his skin)

What went wrong?
Big Jock Knew
billyd
Pub Champion

Re: Wes Newton

Post by billyd »

He ran out of pixie dust
Last edited by billyd on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Hits a 9 darter at the matchplay!

What happened? Must be a confidence thing I reckon. Maybe, as some have suggested, he just hit a purple patch for a couple of years but then fell back to his 'real' standard. But this level surely wasn't outside the top 64?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Peter Manley is what happened.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Booji Boy wrote:Peter Manley is what happened.
????
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

The difference between hitting your level and having a purple patch above your level
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

awkward throwing styles. Simple as that for me. If they go through a rough patch its probably almost impossible to get the feel of throw back as it was so awkward.
I think the players who have lasted a long time at the top, or at their best level relatively speaking more than the average (say 12+ years) have lovely relatively straight forward throws.

I'm sure there are exeptions. I'm not a bloody scientists or spend hours studying this so don't get all Ian on me. :grin:
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

nikkiboy wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:Peter Manley is what happened.
????
Minute he became his manager his game went to shit.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:The difference between hitting your level and having a purple patch above your level
But wouldn't you agree zapp that we hasn't now gone back to his level but dropped under it? Kind if disappeared (re his performance level).

Was he a 1 hit wonder or a case he couldn't handle losing his confidence?
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: Wes Newton

Post by ifm »

Skewball wrote:awkward throwing styles. Simple as that for me. If they go through a rough patch its probably almost impossible to get the feel of throw back as it was so awkward.
I think the players who have lasted a long time at the top, or at their best level relatively speaking more than the average (say 12+ years) have lovely relatively straight forward throws.

I'm sure there are exeptions. I'm not a bloody scientists or spend hours studying this so don't get all Ian on me. :grin:
Jocky Wilson?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

devosteve wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:The difference between hitting your level and having a purple patch above your level
But wouldn't you agree zapp that we hasn't now gone back to his level but dropped under it? Kind if disappeared (re his performance level).

He was a masive confidence player and his whole game fell apart when it wasnt going right (his action didnt help).

Id say the best comparison is someone like Mark Walsh, great year but struggled to get anywhere near his form and he ended up dropping out of the tour cards.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
devosteve wrote:

He was a masive confidence player and his whole game fell apart when it wasnt going right (his action didnt help).

Id say the best comparison is someone like Mark Walsh, great year but struggled to get anywhere near his form and he ended up dropping out of the tour cards.
Mark Walsh is not a good comparison, he was one of the best players until struck by dartitis, beat it, returned to the top and now struggles on and off with it.

"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
GRAYISALEGEND
County Player

Post by GRAYISALEGEND »

Had a good walk on
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

GRAYISALEGEND wrote:Had a good walk on
Who? Newton or walsh?

Newton never seemed comfortable with his. At least those fans who dressed as Kiss got onto the TV credits for a couple of years!

And was it Walsh who had buster bloodvessel failing to mime once?
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

On the subject of Wes Newton, thinking of doing a 'Do You Remember' feature on some players no longer on TV/with tour cards. Thinking of introducing it in the post Players Champs lull prior to the Worlds. Would everyone else be up for this, a chance to reminisce about some former favourites (or not so much)?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

WizardofozFan wrote:On the subject of Wes Newton, thinking of doing a 'Do You Remember' feature on some players no longer on TV/with tour cards. Thinking of introducing it in the post Players Champs lull prior to the Worlds. Would everyone else be up for this, a chance to reminisce about some former favourites (or not so much)?
Fuck me, just start the thread and if anyone wants to contribute they will, you don't need to seek prior approval for it.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Wes Newton

Post by Skewball »

ifm wrote:
Skewball wrote:awkward throwing styles. Simple as that for me. If they go through a rough patch its probably almost impossible to get the feel of throw back as it was so awkward.

Jocky Wilson?

He did cross my mind but actually he only just gets to around 10 years at the top. But Jockey is allowed to be an exception at everything darts related ! :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

You might be onto something Skewball, most top players ever have had solid, reliable throws, machine-like. Newton's can and has easily gone wrong. No denying he was a top 8 player for 2/3 years though, however much I didn't care for him.
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

Ginge wrote:
WizardofozFan wrote:On the subject of Wes Newton, thinking of doing a 'Do You Remember' feature on some players no longer on TV/with tour cards. Thinking of introducing it in the post Players Champs lull prior to the Worlds. Would everyone else be up for this, a chance to reminisce about some former favourites (or not so much)?
fek me, just start the thread and if anyone wants to contribute they will, you don't need to seek prior approval for it.
Haha, I will do. Just hope everyone will respond and get involved...
Spud180
Pub Champion

Post by Spud180 »

Bristow said on comms when asked about his decline and if he could help. Bristow said he wouldnt know where to start or even help. Bristow did slate his action a few year back and said he would never win a major because of it, and wouldnt even know how to change it.