What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Play Lakeside. Get to at least Semi's and wait to see if Invite comes but don't play Q-School and so stay in BDO. (Glen last year)
17%
Play Lakeside, get to Semi and play Q-School if no invite forthcoming and risk not getting Winnings and risk failure to Qualify.
65%
Play Lakeside and effectively 'not try too hard', get knocked out and play Q-School (Well, we have seen this before)
11%
Do not play Lakeside. Go to Q School fresh.
7%

Total votes: 46

Deleted User

Re: RE: Re: What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:Or he could just "do a Bunting" and wait for the cheque to clear before switching.
Indication from Paul is that the gap between the end of Lakeside and the payments being made is to be "several weeks". Also this assumes they are handing out Tour Cards for free again, which they wont be doing according to Hearn.
Bazza will strike a deal with Duzza.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Ginge wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:Or he could just "do a Bunting" and wait for the cheque to clear before switching.
Indication from Paul is that the gap between the end of Lakeside and the payments being made is to be "several weeks". Also this assumes they are handing out Tour Cards for free again, which they wont be doing according to Hearn.
You heard it here first folks
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Deleted User

Re: What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Post by Deleted User »

And Wazza.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

nikkiboy wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:
Ginge wrote:
You heard it here first folks
Not Bazza but Id be shocked if Porter wasnt speaking to the BDO lads all week.

Also its wouldnt be the first time the PDC offered money to players, If Porter offered all 40 lads the PDC will match their loss of lakeside earning if they come to Qschool and get a tour card would it really put that much of a dent in Finances.

If Winstanley can be offered 100K to switch then Duzza is surely worth that.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

A name not mentioned but anyone think Hughes might switch as well?

Glen brought him up in an interview that they are really good mates and Hughes has had 2 tastes of the GSOD. Hes said before his entire goal for the seasons is to get to lakeside one way or another to secure the money, hes good enough to get a tour card and earn that money on the PDC tour.
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

My issue is the timing of the contract.

Surely it should be in the 1st comp you enter in the year that if you qualify and get to semis or further at Lakeside you lose any winnings from Lakeside if you then switch.

That way players choose early in year which code to play in.
Thinking of one.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Michael van Gerwen could win Ally Pally on January 1, hand back his tour card and return to the BDO the following day. It would not cost him the prize money he won fair and square. To compare the exclusivity contract signed at the PDC with the Lakeside contract is beyond laughable. It ties no one to the organisation for any length of time; any player is free to play for a rival org any time they wish.

The BDO are retrospectively holding a gun to their players heads, threatening to recoup winnings earned fair and square if a player exercises his own freedom of movement. Moreover; the PDC contract only includes TV events. Tour card holders can still play in BDO events. Many still play county. I have no problem with the BDO doing what the PDC does; stipulating if you are going to play their tour and gain ranking points for Winmau, Lakeside and others then you can't be a PDC Tour Card holder. That is fair and no different to their rivals' contract. The extra stipulation added for Lakeside which entitles the BDO to withhold prize money should players switch is the issue. It is immoral, unfair and possibly illegal.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Murphio wrote:Michael van Gerwen could win Ally Pally on January 1, hand back his tour card and return to the BDO the following day. It would not cost him the prize money he won fair and square. To compare the exclusivity contract signed at the PDC with the Lakeside contract is beyond laughable. It ties no one to the organisation for any length of time; any player is free to play for a rival org any time they wish.

The BDO are retrospectively holding a gun to their players heads, threatening to recoup winnings earned fair and square if a player exercises his own freedom of movement. Moreover; the PDC contract only includes TV events. Tour card holders can still play in BDO events. Many still play county. I have no problem with the BDO doing what the PDC does; stipulating if you are going to play their tour and gain ranking points for Winmau, Lakeside and others then you can't be a PDC Tour Card holder. That is fair and no different to their rivals' contract. The extra stipulation added for Lakeside which entitles the BDO to withhold prize money should players switch is the issue. It is immoral, unfair and possibly illegal.
PDC players pay a 3% levy on all winnings. Could this be what ifm was on about?
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

"3% levy: As per constitution and rules, all players are subject to a 3% levy on all prize money won at all PDC events."
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:Michael van Gerwen could win Ally Pally on January 1, hand back his tour card and return to the BDO the following day. It would not cost him the prize money he won fair and square. To compare the exclusivity contract signed at the PDC with the Lakeside contract is beyond laughable. It ties no one to the organisation for any length of time; any player is free to play for a rival org any time they wish.

How is a 3% deduction on the vastly superior prize money a "restraint of trade" or "restrictive"?

Not that I agree with it but it is anything but this.
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Booji Boy wrote:

I never have much idea what he is rambling on about half the time. I don't think anyone has a major problem with the premise that if you go to Q School and win a card you are prevented from playing in BDO ranking events and therefore televised BDO tournaments. Or you don't win a card but can still play on the Challenge Tour. There does exist, of course, a bit of a crossover with players like Ratajski.

But in the main I think both orgs asking exclusivity from players appearing in ranking events and on TV is fair enough. The Lakeside contract is completely different because it prevents players exercising their freedom of movement by the threat of withholding prize money. The PDC does not do this; a Tour Card can be relinquished to accomodate a switch back to the BDO at any time at no cost to earnings.
Last edited by Murphio on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfacts »

Every day that goes by, ifm makes himself look an even bigger twat.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

dartsfacts wrote:Every day that goes by, ifm makes himself look an even bigger twat.
Hasn't recovered since he spent 2 months defending Warren Brown and De:luxe for no reason whatsoever except to be contrary...
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:

I never have much idea what he is rambling on about half the time. I don't think anyone has a major problem with the premise that if you go to Q School and win a card you are prevented from playing in BDO ranking events and therefore televised BDO tournaments. Or you don't win a card but can still play on the Challenge Tour. There does exist, of course, a bit of a crossover with players like Ratajski.

But in the main I think both orgs asking exclusivity from players appearing in ranking events and on TV is fair enough. The Lakeside contract is completely different because it prevents players exercising their freedom of movement by the threat of withholding prize money. The PDC does not do this; a Tour Card can be relinquished to accomodate a switch back to the BDO at any time at no cost to earnings.
Is the bit in bold correct? I thought you were prevented from playing any BDO comps until the end of the bdo season regardless of when you give the tc back, might even be a full 12 months?
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:

Is the bit in bold correct? I thought you were prevented from playing any BDO comps until the end of the bdo season regardless of when you give the tc back, might even be a full 12 months?
You are talking about a BDO rule; not something imposed by the PDC to force their players into staying. In any case the PDC doesn't need to keep players with virtual blackmail; it retains 99 per cent of players with well organised tournaments carrying prestige and huge prize money.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:

You are talking about a BDO rule; not something imposed by the PDC to force their players into staying. In any case the PDC doesn't need to keep players with virtual blackmail; it retains 99 per cent of players with well organised tournaments carrying prestige and huge prize money.
I was asking you a question.

The answer is no player can play in any bdo comp if they have played a pro tour event.

I was not looking for another pedantic pointless argument as seems to be the norm between you and Ifm these days.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:

The answer is no player can play in any bdo comp if they have played a pro tour event.

I was not looking for another pedantic pointless argument as seems to be the norm between you and Ifm these days.
Which organisation is putting that restriction in place? ;)
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

I see the usual idiots are rallying around switchers.

#nobodycares :-)
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Ginge wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote: I never have much idea what he is rambling on about half the time. I don't think anyone has a major problem with the premise that if you go to Q School and win a card you are prevented from playing in BDO ranking events and therefore televised BDO tournaments. Or you don't win a card but can still play on the Challenge Tour. There does exist, of course, a bit of a crossover with players like Ratajski.

Which organisation is putting that restriction in place? ;)
Murph said a player can hand back his tour card and go and play bdo. He was wrong. who makes the rules is neither here nor there in this context.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:

What on earth are you talking about? It is you who has lumped two utterly irrelevant points into the debate. First the 3 per cent levy on winnings (eh what???) then the above. The point I stated, which is 100 per cent correct, is that any PDC player is free to relinquish a Tour Card at any time to accommodate a move to the BDO at no cost to their prize money. That their may be a waiting period imposed by the BDO is neither here nor there in relation to that. Both orgs impose similar exclusivity stipulations; only one blackmails its own players with their prize money.