What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Play Lakeside. Get to at least Semi's and wait to see if Invite comes but don't play Q-School and so stay in BDO. (Glen last year)
17%
Play Lakeside, get to Semi and play Q-School if no invite forthcoming and risk not getting Winnings and risk failure to Qualify.
65%
Play Lakeside and effectively 'not try too hard', get knocked out and play Q-School (Well, we have seen this before)
11%
Do not play Lakeside. Go to Q School fresh.
7%

Total votes: 46

Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Bear in mind that he has said himself 'give me a Tour Card and I will come' so the intent to move is there , and that is the context of the questions. ANd apart from number 2 the assumption that he if tries properly he would get to at least Semi, not a big stretch to imagine.
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Re: What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Post by dartsfacts »

Play Lakeside, win it, go Q school, employ services of a good barrister.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

dartsfacts wrote:Play Lakeside, win it, go Q school, employ services of a good barrister.
Gilson Gray, anyone?
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

dartsfacts wrote:Play Lakeside, win it, go Q school, employ services of a good barrister.
Correct answer as far as I am concerned. The only other viable option is for Durrant to make the semis at Lakeside and let his management team deal with both the BDO and tournament broadcasters ala Hanley.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ssjsa wrote:
Correct answer as far as I am concerned. The only other viable option is for Durrant to make the semis at Lakeside and let his management team deal with both the BDO and tournament broadcasters ala Hanley.

That is option B effectively so get on and vote for it :)
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Skewball wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

That is option B effectively so get on and vote for it :)
Not quite. But in the interests of forum participation have voted B in the poll. :)

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

B has to be the vote. If he wins and his 2 times BDO world champ then that fact lifts his profile even more.

Withholding his money: that's the sting. £100,000! But lets be clear, the BDO would pay a 'price' if they did that (in bad publicity and ill feeling). And for what? I have asked the question before but would it be Potter saving the money or the BDO?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

devosteve wrote:B has to be the vote. If he wins and his 2 times BDO world champ then that fact lifts his profile even more.

Withholding his money: that's the sting. £100,000! But lets be clear, the BDO would pay a 'price' if they did that (in bad publicity and ill feeling). And for what? I have asked the question before but would it be Potter saving the money or the BDO?
Potter.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Absolutely because the contract will be unenforceable and the negative publicity the BDO would get will kill off any chance of keeping BDO darts on the TV.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

How many of you, in the knowledge a cheque for 100 grand is about to land on your doormat, would risk it by breaching the contract you signed in order to participate in the tournament in which you won it? I think it is naive in the extreme to expect someone like Glenn Durrant to effectively walk away from 100k and embark on a costly and lengthy legal battle to get his money. If I were him I would try my best to win Lakeside and if successful stick to the terms of the contract.

100 grand is a lot of money. The real question here should not be what Glenn Durrant does or doesnt do; it should be why the hell the players in the BDO are allowing themselves to be blackmailed in the first place. They need to show solidarity and tell the board where to shove their contract. The players have all the power: the BDO is in no position to do what it did 20 years ago.
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfacts »

Murphio wrote:How many of you, in the knowledge a cheque for 100 grand is about to land on your doormat, would risk it by breaching the contract you signed in order to participate in the tournament in which you won it? I think it is naive in the extreme to expect someone like Glenn Durrant to effectively walk away from 100k and embark on a costly and lengthy legal battle to get his money. If I were him I would try my best to win Lakeside and if successful stick to the terms of the contract.

100 grand is a lot of money. The real question here should not be what Glenn Durrant does or doesnt do; it should be why the hell the players in the BDO are allowing themselves to be blackmailed in the first place. They need to show solidarity and tell the board where to shove their contract. The players have all the power: the BDO is in no position to do what it did 20 years ago.
If he had any sense the contract would already be in the Hans of a barrister, he can the make his decision based on legal advice. If the contract is found to be unenforceable then his management team should serve papers on the BDO immediately on qualifying for the semi final and let the press know the exact situation as well.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

nikkiboy wrote:
Absolutely because the contract will be unenforceable and the negative publicity the BDO would get will kill off any chance of keeping BDO darts on the TV.

Murph sums it up well. Whether you or I think its unenforceable it is Durrant who must go to Solicitor and decide to risk fees to take it to Court. He who holds the money holds the power. We can sit here and easily say fight it bu its Glen who won't have £100k in the Bank. Will Durrant want that going on while trying to establish himself in the PDC?
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Play Lakeside, win it, bank the £100,000, be content then come back again next year. If someone from up North can't live comfortably on 100K + all the other winnings and sponsorship deals they are being greedy.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

Murph sums it up well. Whether you or I think its unenforceable it is Durrant who must go to Solicitor and decide to risk fees to take it to Court. He who holds the money holds the power. We can sit here and easily say fight it bu its Glen who won't have £100k in the Bank. Will Durrant want that going on while trying to establish himself in the PDC?
Murphs turned from a Doctor of mathematics into a lawyer now.......what will he be tomorrow?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

Murphs turned from a Doctor of mathematics into a lawyer now.......what will he be tomorrow?
still owning you.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

dartsfacts wrote:
Murphio wrote:How many of you, in the knowledge a cheque for 100 grand is about to land on your doormat, would risk it by breaching the contract you signed in order to participate in the tournament in which you won it? I think it is naive in the extreme to expect someone like Glenn Durrant to effectively walk away from 100k and embark on a costly and lengthy legal battle to get his money. If I were him I would try my best to win Lakeside and if successful stick to the terms of the contract.

If he had any sense the contract would already be in the Hans of a barrister, he can the make his decision based on legal advice. If the contract is found to be unenforceable then his management team should serve papers on the BDO immediately on qualifying for the semi final and let the press know the exact situation as well.
It's all well and good pontificating what should or shouldn't be done when It's not your money at risk. I have to laugh at the people stating the contract is unenforceable when they likely have no clue what is even in it. It will have been drawn up on the back of legal advice - contracts of such nature are commonplace and as unfair as they may be they are not necessarily illegal. Asking a working class guy to walk away from life changing money before embarking on a costly and lengthy legal battle to get it back is pretty laughable in all honesty. The players have the power to have these contracts thrown in the bin tomorrow if they so wish.
Last edited by Murphio on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfacts »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Play Lakeside, win it, bank the £100,000, be content then come back again next year. If someone from up North can't live comfortably on 100K + all the other winnings and sponsorship deals they are being greedy.
You are presuming it's about the money.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Skewball wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

still owning you.
He couldn't own his own pecker.........
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

dartsfacts wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:Play Lakeside, win it, bank the £100,000, be content then come back again next year. If someone from up North can't live comfortably on 100K + all the other winnings and sponsorship deals they are being greedy.
You are presuming it's about the money.
No loyalty.........everyone needs a certain amount of cash to live. He has nothing to prove in the PDC as he's already decimated all that came before him.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Loyalty klaxon!
Big Jock Knew