What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Play Lakeside. Get to at least Semi's and wait to see if Invite comes but don't play Q-School and so stay in BDO. (Glen last year)
17%
Play Lakeside, get to Semi and play Q-School if no invite forthcoming and risk not getting Winnings and risk failure to Qualify.
65%
Play Lakeside and effectively 'not try too hard', get knocked out and play Q-School (Well, we have seen this before)
11%
Do not play Lakeside. Go to Q School fresh.
7%

Total votes: 46

Ginge
International

Re: What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Post by Ginge »

Murphio wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Murphio wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
Skewball wrote:

I'm torn it really. Its an awful contract to present with someone and feels immoral. But once you sign it...... hmm, thats a tough one then.
If you don't sign it then all the money spent getting to the finals is wasted and you are ruling yourself out of your biggest payday of the year.
There is no doubt in my mind that this is immoral and probably illegal. Like I said before if they spent as much time promoting their organisation as they do dreaming up ways to stop the talent leaving and themselves from being ousted then the BDO would not be in the state it is.
You are of course spot on. Only a complete dimwit would see it otherwise. The notion any contract can be justified on the basis that no one is forced to sign it is beyond contempt. Coercing players to stay within their system with blackmail instead of encouraging them with incentives has been the hallmark of the BDO since the split. I keep coming back to it though; the players have all the power. Why, collectively, they allow this situation is utterly beyond me. If everyone refuses to sign then no one has to.
There will always be one or two players who have absolute no intention of ever switching (Adams, Monty) and they would sign it regardless.
It's not about whether you have any intention of switching. It's about showing solidarity with fellow players over an unfair, immoral and possibly illegal contract. Besides, it wouldn't require 100 per cent co-operation. Just enough of the field so that the BDO board would have no choice but to abandon it.
Would the players who have no intention of ever switching give a toss about this though.

But yes you are right, you cant have an event if only 2 people sign it.
Big Jock Knew
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Wether the players intend to switch or not the bdo need the best players there. This is the last year of the C4 contract. Fail to get it signed again and it could be game up. So turning round to them a month before the tournament saying the top players aren't coming cause they won't sign a contract won't sit well.

IMO the players hold the keys and the bdo board need to realise this now.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

#nobodycares

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Murphio wrote:
nikkiboy wrote: If you don't sign it then all the money spent getting to the finals is wasted and you are ruling yourself out of your biggest payday of the year.
There is no doubt in my mind that this is immoral and probably illegal. Like I said before if they spent as much time promoting their organisation as they do dreaming up ways to stop the talent leaving and themselves from being ousted then the BDO would not be in the state it is.
You are of course spot on. Only a complete dimwit would see it otherwise. The notion any contract can be justified on the basis that no one is forced to sign it is beyond contempt. Coercing players to stay within their system with blackmail instead of encouraging them with incentives has been the hallmark of the BDO since the split. I keep coming back to it though; the players have all the power. Why, collectively, they allow this situation is utterly beyond me. If everyone refuses to sign then no one has to.
There will always be one or two players who have absolute no intention of ever switching (Adams, Monty) and they would sign it regardless.
It's not about whether you have any intention of switching. It's about showing solidarity with fellow players over an unfair, immoral and possibly illegal contract. Besides, it wouldn't require 100 per cent co-operation. Just enough of the field so that the BDO board would have no choice but to abandon it.
Would the players who have no intention of ever switching give a toss about this though.

All properly run orgs have contracts to sign, can't see where the problem is? At last the BDO are acting like a more professional body....
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Im glad you read my post properly :roll:
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote:Im glad you read my post properly :roll:
I got you on ignore ;-)
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Post by ifm »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Murphio wrote: You are of course spot on. Only a complete dimwit would see it otherwise. The notion any contract can be justified on the basis that no one is forced to sign it is beyond contempt. Coercing players to stay within their system with blackmail instead of encouraging them with incentives has been the hallmark of the BDO since the split. I keep coming back to it though; the players have all the power. Why, collectively, they allow this situation is utterly beyond me. If everyone refuses to sign then no one has to.

All properly run orgs have contracts to sign, can't see where the problem is? At last the BDO are acting like a more professional body....
I see no outrage about the pdc contracts
#cuzitsthebdo
#nobodycaresreally

"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

What restrictive covenants have the PDC whacked in their contracts this year, then?
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:What restrictive covenants have the PDC whacked in their contracts this year, then?
Oh look Whinge has decided to ignore the pdc contract impact on players earnings, why am I not surprised?

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Booommmm!!!!
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:Booommmm!!!!
Why are you not crying over multiple threads about restraint of trade with the pdc contracts Whinge?

Madsocks
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Ginge wrote:
Murphio wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote: Absolutely agree 100% with this and I think immoral is the exact word we were all searching for.

I'm torn it really. Its an awful contract to present with someone and feels immoral. But once you sign it...... hmm, thats a tough one then.
If you don't sign it then all the money spent getting to the finals is wasted and you are ruling yourself out of your biggest payday of the year.

This

Glen doesnt seem like someone who wants to rock the boat and the problem is you know the loyalty brigade will always sign the contract infront of them becasue they will never switch.

So Glen has 2 options

Refuse to sign the contract and just get pushed out of the event before it begins with no mention of him being there and nobody really caring that hes there (its hardly going to make any news if he pulls out). So Glens just wasted a year of his career for absolutely nothing.

Or

Sign the contract and hope for the best. Either he goes out early and he walks away from the BDO (still the most likely thing imo) or he gets to the semi,final or wins it and hopes something can be sorted.

There is no way hes going to stage a protest ala Hankey, not on his own anyway. If it ends up being 2 or 3 in the semis that are all intending on switching then yeah lets see what happens, no way C4 and BT are going to let the BDO destroy the last weekend in the name of loyalty.

I actually think Glen and his management have been speaking with the PDC this week. Porter was there all week and will want Glen to switch. I wonder if the PDC intervene if Glen (and anyone else) makes the semis, tell the BDO to let them switch or they are taking their GSOD places or tell the BDO they will back the players in court if they wish to take action against the BDO for the money. That will make them step down in seconds.

Or option 454345345 - Porter has told Glen he will match his BDO winnings if he switches and doesnt get his money.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ifm wrote:
Why are you not crying over multiple threads about restraint of trade with the pdc contracts Whinge?

"crying" :D
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: What would you do in January if you were Glenn?

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:
ifm wrote:

"crying" :D
Whining?
Seething?
Boring?

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Fucking hell.

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

You think the standard PDC/PDPA contract with clauses in it such as "dont appear in non-PDC telly events" are on a par with the BDO Lakeside contract when it comes to restraint of trade?

Oh dear.
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:You think the standard PDC/PDPA contract with clauses in it such as "dont appear in non-PDC telly events" are on a par with the BDO Lakeside contract when it comes to restraint of trade?

Oh dear.
Are there now degrees of restraint of trade?
Is it only a bad, bad, bad thing if it affects 1 competition but perfectly fine if it affects loads?
Take your time formulating your outraged response condemning the pdc for taking food out of dart players children's mouths.

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Oh dear.
Big Jock Knew
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Or he could just "do a Bunting" and wait for the cheque to clear before switching.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidOwen67 wrote:Or he could just "do a Bunting" and wait for the cheque to clear before switching.
Indication from Paul is that the gap between the end of Lakeside and the payments being made is to be "several weeks". Also this assumes they are handing out Tour Cards for free again, which they wont be doing according to Hearn.
Big Jock Knew