Road to BDO World Championships 2019

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Little Lonely Garry
International

Re: Road to BDO World Championships 2019

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Ginge wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:Little birdy tells me there is an announcement coming from the BDO on Friday re Lakeside and ticketing.
Just in time for the K0TW cut-off, I like it.
:DDD:
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Hmm. Not as if there is any slack to change the schedule anyway, they only have 9 days (as thats the number of days you cant book a room for on the lakeside website), and they cant cut the number of players or there would be uproar. Only sticking points would be things like "do we start at 6 or 7pm", stuff like that.
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Genuine question: Why has no-one mentioned Channel 5 as a possible broadcaster for this?
I know they don't do much in the way of sport (Premiership Rugby Highlights are all I can think of off the top of my head), so the complete lack of experience in live sports broadcasting would be an obvious problem but in BDO-land beggars can't exactly be choosers, and Channel 5 must be one of the few remaining channels the BDO haven't burned bridges with.

I am not saying I think Channel 5 would be a good idea, or even that they would be interested, but given that on this thread we've had suggestions ranging from Freesports to Amazon Prime(!) I'm just a little mystified why no-one has mentioned Channel 5 even as a remote possibility (unless they have, and I've missed it).
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Cant imagine them dumping Home & Away and Neighbours for a whole week, to be honest. Channel 4 were looking for something to fill a gap after losing the horse racing coverage.

Would be very surprised if they picked it up.
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Fair enough. I neither know nor care what they show on the weekday daytime slots, so didn't know that Channel 5 was the official home of dreary Antipodean soap operas these days.
Suppose I should have gone through the motions of bothering to find out before I asked my question.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:Fair enough. I neither know nor care what they show on the weekday daytime slots, and didn't know that Channel 5 was the official home of dreary Antipodean soap operas these days.
Suppose I should have gone through the motions of bothering to find out before I asked my question.
Well never say never, just thinking out loud. I do know that the soaps "shut down" in Australia for a few weeks at some point every year, I'm not sure which few weeks Channel 5 then decide not to show them in order to stay at the same pace.
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:Fair enough. I neither know nor care what they show on the weekday daytime slots, so didn't know that Channel 5 was the official home of dreary Antipodean soap operas these days.
The parent of Channel 5 is Viacomm who own a shed load of ther satellite channels like MTV , Paramount ,VH-1 & Nicelodeon. The don't really have much involment in sports rights outside of MMA Bellator. So they might just not see live sport as their line of business.Under the channel 5 banner operate the below channels

Channel 5
5Select
5Spike
5Star
5USA

Of them only really 5Spike shows any sport . Normally in the afternoons it shows old movies which Viacomm probably own the rights for so costs virtually nothing to show and being honest probably draw the same number of viewers as BDO darts would for an Afternoon Session so why would they bother ?
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Ginge wrote:Cant imagine them dumping Home & Away and Neighbours for a whole week, to be honest. Channel 4 were looking for something to fill a gap after losing the horse racing coverage.

Neighbours and Home and Away are completely up to date now and they both take a long break in Australia in December and January so they wouldn't be showing these in England come January...
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

trotter wrote:
Ginge wrote:Cant imagine them dumping Home & Away and Neighbours for a whole week, to be honest. Channel 4 were looking for something to fill a gap after losing the horse racing coverage.

Neighbours and Home and Away are completely up to date now and they both take a long break in Australia in December and January so they wouldn't be showing these in England come January...
Yeah I alluded to the break in a post above, just wasnt sure when the break was.
Big Jock Knew
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Ginge wrote:
trotter wrote:

Yeah I alluded to the break in a post above, just wasnt sure when the break was.
So obviously it's on channel 5 then ☺
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Well that would be the logic Fanatics would use, anyway.

Or, just do as someone on here is doing and keep mentioning Amazon for no reason.
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

trotter wrote:
Thinking about it they share cricket highlights with Sky and have some deal for Rugby with BT Sport.
So there is a bit of history in them doing deals with 'other' Darts providers

Who films the EFL highlights they show ?

and didn't channel 5 want to bring back Bullseye recently ?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Hour long highlights shows of more mainstream sports are a much different proposition to scrapping your entire schedule and executing and paying for a full 9 day, multi session outside broadcast of a pub game, but we shall see.

IMO if the afternoon weekday sessions didnt exist it would probably be a much easier sell to a station. Its probably time to get rid of them IMO, to try and protect the future of the event. Yes would mean less players but perhaps needs must.
Big Jock Knew
thelad1985
Pub Champion

Post by thelad1985 »

What about dave - what about premier sport - what about eleven sport - lots of options for BDO - channel 4 is a hors doeuvre
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

thelad1985 wrote:What about dave - what about premier sport - what about eleven sport - lots of options for BDO - channel 4 is a hors doeuvre
dave wont be showing it

Ahmet is hardly involved in darts these days robson
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Road to BDO World Championships 2019

Post by Ginge »

thelad1985 wrote:What about dave - what about premier sport - what about eleven sport - lots of options for BDO - channel 4 is a hors doeuvre
Wrong account again, you frivelos prock!
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Ginge wrote:
IMO if the afternoon weekday sessions didnt exist it would probably be a much easier sell to a station. Its probably time to get rid of them IMO, to try and protect the future of the event. Yes would mean less players but perhaps needs must.
I prefer to watch the afternoon weekday sessions as I have more time then to watch them live than the evenings with other distractions. I am rather pleased to see the PDC has returned to afternoon sessions prior to the Xmas break for their Worlds.

I don't think that the match scheduling had done the BDO any favours with what was shown on some afternoons the past couple of years but I would rather have them than not have them.

Be a shame if its not on some easily obtainable channel as its not as if there is much else worth watching on in an Afternoon the week after new year.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Rankings have been updated following the Swedish weekend
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

trotter wrote:
Ginge wrote:
trotter wrote:

Neighbours doesn’t have a break any more. New deal they signed last year.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Durrant only 1 point behind McGeeney now at the top.