Road to BDO World Championships 2019

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: Road to BDO World Championships 2019

Post by Ginge »

Yes that was my recollection too. So did the arrangement to pay for flights only ever apply to the men?
Big Jock Knew
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

this is a reason i can see it wandering off from lakeside, i have been its not the best, yes its name for darts but its a 3 or 4th rate vanue even the guild hall while a lack of crowd (which you need) is way ahead of it terms of facilities/ things to do near by & the like,(we can argue till the cows come home whether it would sell) there are lots of venues around the uk that could host it, it doesnt need to be within 50 miles of london village where people have there trousers pulled down on a daily basis cos the cost of living is so high, id give the o2 a miss also,
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

only85 wrote:this is a reason i can see it wandering off from lakeside, i have been its not the best, yes its name for darts but its a 3 or 4th rate vanue even the guild hall while a lack of crowd (which you need) is way ahead of it terms of facilities/ things to do near by & the like,(we can argue till the cows come home whether it would sell) there are lots of venues around the uk that could host it, it doesnt need to be within 50 miles of london village where people have there trousers pulled down on a daily basis cos the cost of living is so high, id give the o2 a miss also,
I would agree but it seems there was actually some truth in the rumours the event was to move there this time around, I assume a deal couldnt be tied up in time so they had to go back to Bob's gaff for one more year. Wouldnt be at all surprised if it moves there.
Big Jock Knew
Addicks Fan
County Player

Re: RE: Re: Road to BDO World Championships 2019

Post by Addicks Fan »

ChrisW wrote:
Ginge wrote:Why is Hammond only mentioned towards the end of that message? Were her flights never paid for before?

As for no players getting a free room, then its just a sign that Potter is putting less into it. He wont have a full hotel as if they arent getting it for free many will just stay elsewhere.

Off to the Indigo o2 for the 2020 event then.....
I was thinking that.
I'm sure I remember Paul mentioning about her last year round That the only way she could fund the trip was through some generous sponsorship and staying over here for a month taking in Egmond etc and some other events she had in the planning.
She's been living here for two years so presumably they DA don't think she deserves the same offer.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

oh i see well that would make logic as to why its a last minute confirmation etc for venue / tickets etc, id still like to see it away from the london village area my view is to much is south east based there are better venues all around uk now that are cheaper to hire easy to get to & would provide if proper marketing a breath of fresh air that the organisation needs
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Frankly after seeing the "crowds" that turned up for their other events this year, I would hold off moving it as much as possible. Until they get credibility back and build their brand a bit better. As at the moment frankly it is at rock bottom.
Not that they are truly in competition with the PDC, however a casual darts fan if going to one or two events a year, will probably always pick the PDC events. That won't be changing anytime soon and so they would be wise to take this into account if overbooking huge venues that no one will turn up to.
If they operate within their means and are sensible in venue choices/marketing/advertisement then they should be ok.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

So anyway, any closer to finding out who won't be playing according to Mr Martin?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

BlueSpark wrote:So anyway, any closer to finding out who won't be playing according to Mr Martin?
Maybe he was in the know re the funding of overseas players and expected the Australian players to withdraw?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:So anyway, any closer to finding out who won't be playing according to Mr Martin?
I would assume he meant the Aussies, but now the home org are paying the flights so I would imagine there wont be any withdrawals at all now.
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

devosteve wrote:Another point.

If the bdo are so skint (as Paul implies on fanatics) why have they agreed to run the loss making masters and wdt for another 3yrs?

Has he been called a hater for pointing this out?
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

The threads on each fanatics about the Aussies issue are great reads.
Mr Jacklins lapdogs are out in force and yapping around. It really is embarrassing to watch.
All the talk is about how poor the old board were and it is their fault, whilst obviously forgetting that the entire board haven't been rejected. Even the old Chairperson is still on there ffs. Des is apparently a hero for sorting out all the deals, when in fact it was Sportotal who did all of the legwork. Do they think he just does what he wants with impunity, rather than all decisions being a board collective one?
Surely the accounts cannot be in that bad a state.
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

BlueSpark wrote:The threads on each fanatics about the Aussies issue are great reads.
Mr Jacklins lapdogs are out in force and yapping around. It really is embarrassing to watch.
All the talk is about how poor the old board were and it is their fault, whilst obviously forgetting that the entire board haven't been rejected. Even the old Chairperson is still on there ffs. Des is apparently a hero for sorting out all the deals, when in fact it was Sportotal who did all of the legwork. Do they think he just does what he wants with impunity, rather than all decisions being a board collective one?
i have to say id find it strange if overseas players got free travel & free digs while uk based players pay for travel, the easiest solution would be fund everyones travel (diesel money uk / air fair overseas) but everyone pays there own digs, after all nowt wrong with colebrook guest house farnborough !!
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote:
devosteve wrote:Another point.

If the bdo are so skint (as Paul implies on fanatics) why have they agreed to run the loss making masters and wdt for another 3yrs?

Has he been called a hater for pointing this out?
No. He just asked do I know the terms of the euro sport deal. Hinting that costs are covered or just deflecting.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The latter, imo.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

It is a good deal by the looks.
However it is televised, will people turn up and pay to watch it? Regardless of how it is broadcast and their plans for the future, if people continue to not turn up and spend money, and the players perform in front of crowds you could get on a double decker bus it will all fall flat and they will be no more.
Double Flops
Steady Sixties

Post by Double Flops »

only85 wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:The threads on each fanatics about the Aussies issue are great reads.
i have to say id find it strange if overseas players got free travel & free digs while uk based players pay for travel, the easiest solution would be fund everyones travel (diesel money uk / air fair overseas) but everyone pays there own digs, after all nowt wrong with colebrook guest house farnborough !!
All on tv will have some sort of sponsorship..and I guess travel money will be taken out if that.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

I have no real issue with the non.payment of flights etc for the Aussies ..the timing is a bit off..but the principle is fine...however with the very low preliminary and first round money I don't think Aussies will bother in the future unless funded by DFA..
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Was never keen on players getting flights paid for.
Where is the cut-off line.

Should be funded through sponsors or national orgs.
And ideally the Last 40/32 cheques should cover their costs. Which they probably don't do very well at the moment.

If they don't get free hotel accomodation it should at least be rock bottom discounted. And free grub and drinks is not going to bankrupt Potter Inc.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I was under the impression the players bar at Lakeside was subsidised to some degree?
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Perhaps this is a silly question but presumably players in the PDC world championship have to fund their own flights, accommodation, etc??