Murphio
International

Re: The Official 2018 PDC World Championship Howlers Thread

Post by Murphio »

Mgt wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Mgt wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote: If they had intended do you not think that they would have informed the respective tours and all their players at the beginning, or in fact at any point during their year that there were to be WC spots available?
Which ever answer it's a huge howler to crowbar players into their showcase event at the last minute.
A howler is a mistake. An error. So whether you think it is right or wrong they have crowbarred players into their world championship for whatever reason - it is not a howler, sorry.
Whether it's a howler or not, what's your take on these 'qualifiers'?
I personally don't have any particular beef with them. It is clear the PDC is trying to spread its reach across the globe and that is very likely what lies behind it. The PDC has been shoehorning players into events for commercial reasons for a long time. The two players in question will add quality to the event - one is the current Masters Champion and the other is a former Lakeside finalist. It is probably unfair but it is done for deliberately for the benefit of the organisation.
I can understand Ratajski, seeing as he did well this year on the Euro Tour and showed decent form, but Smith has done fuckall of note this year. They're picking him purely on his popularity, which I think is ridiculous. Might as well roll out O'Shea if that becomes a qualifying criterium.

I would have gone with Dawson Murschell for a Canadian seeing as he did well on TV in the World Series this year.

Problem with that is he actually tried to qualify and didn't make it, so that would have made a farce of the qualifying criteria.

Ideally the criteria should be set in stone at the start of the season. Alternatively they could reserve a couple of spots for international prospects, but I'd like them to at least decide which regions get the spots. Two or three real wild cards if a Cadby or Ratajski somehow doesn't make the cut should be the maximum imo.
Well you are effectively then arguing over the legitimacy of the two wildcards rather than whether they should be allocated at all. I don't have much of a problem with them. They can add to the event. I remember a very famous one winning Wimbledon. The PDC obviously has plans for Canada and eastern Europe and feel these players can help them in that regard. Rightly or wrongly there is a reason they were picked.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Mgt wrote:I would have gone with Dawson Murschell for a Canadian seeing as he did well on TV in the World Series this year.

Problem with that is he actually tried to qualify and didn't make it, so that would have made a farce of the qualifying criteria.
Jeff Smith tried as well and didn't even get as far as Murschell did, though.

Hopefully next year they'll have plans for a merit-based choice of both a US and a Canadian representative from the Las Vegas Darts Masters week, even if it's just something like "player from the other country who progressed the furthest".
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

ChrisW wrote:Think we need a 'rea'l howlers thread. Skewy is ruling like Des.
Can you start one Chris, it really needs to be done as the BDO one has a "howler" that a player was given a spot in the PDC worlds.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

I think wildcards in any ranking event is wrong.
Be it the CiderCan Masters, the bdo players in the Grand Slam or the PDC World champs.

But since both codes are doing it anyway, then do it properly, add past pdc major winners to prelims.
Seems ridiculous and contradictory that Uncle Barry says no to old past pdc majors and says people have to earn their spot. I can understand his point.
But he then goes and gives a spot to Jeff smith, ...how did he earn his spot then ?
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ifm wrote:
Can you start one Chris, it really needs to be done as the BDO one has a "howler" that a player was given a spot in the PDC worlds.
While I agree it probably doesn't qualify as a 'howler' per se - it is surely pretty damning on the BDO that their Masters champion rejected a spot at Lakeside to play the rival world championship instead.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote:
While I agree it probably doesn't qualify as a 'howler' per se - it is surely pretty damning on the BDO that their Masters champion rejected a spot at Lakeside to play the rival world championship instead.
So you agree it shouldn't be in there.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: The Official 2018 PDC World Championship Howlers Thread

Post by Skewball »

ifm wrote:
I am loving this thread , it's provided the entertainment I'd hoped with all the big hitters cought in it's web :)
Please continue ......
Last edited by Skewball on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ifm wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote:
So you agree it shouldn't be in there.
Perhaps 'gross incompetence' should be added to the thread title.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

ifm wrote:
Easier option.
Quote the OP and add what you want.
Added bonus it will wind up Skewball.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

ChrisW wrote:
ifm wrote:
Easier option.
Quote the OP and add what you want.
Added bonus it will wind up Skewball.
Good shout

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

So, so far we have these, anymore?

1/ Draw not done until only a couple of weeks before the event meaning people not knowing what matches they are going to stare at the stands at.
2/ Draw later than advertised, hilarity ensued as a result.
3/ Dave Clark called out a wrong player during the draw
4/ PDC couldn't find anyone good enough through ranking or qualifying, so issued wildcards for its premier event, including one to a player who hadn't even played any PDC ranking events in the whole year
5/ "You need to hit a 110 average to win a game in the PDC"

Madsocks
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

6/ Barry Hearn walked in dog shite on his way to the studio.
7/ Dave Chisnall forgot to tie his shoelaces and nearly tipped over in Asda while buying a Christmas pudding.
8/ The elastic on Tommy Gilmour's trousers snapped as he was getting up to the attic to retrieve his Christmas tree.
9/ Matt Porter pissed on the toilet seat of the Hound and Turkey while on his Christmas lunch.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

10/ They once ran out of toilet paper in the leisure centre in Barnsley
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

I forgot to say it will cause some seething.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

ChrisW wrote:I forgot to say it will cause some seething.
Let us know when it's posted.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

:grin:

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Can somebody spellcheck the PDPA and PDC websites please, ta.

Madsocks
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

BlueSpark wrote:
Let us know when it's posted.
When Skewy logs on.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Here's one for those straining to see a howler.

on sky sports news the Tottenham manager was asked about the pdc wc. He answered re the football world cup.

what a botch by the pdc!
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

https://alexandrapalaceevents.seeticket ... worlddarts

Still tickets for sale, Despite Ginge having digs at the tickets left at Lakeside
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021