Taylor's retirement

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Maverick
Superleague Player

Re: Taylor's retirement

Post by Maverick »

Paddy you used to be such an easy going fella! What happened?

I wish Phil a long and happy retirement, he’s certainly earned it.

He’ll be able to work when and where he chooses to and be able to name his price.
Robert Mitchell 17th March 1938 - 8th September 2018 Rest in Peace Dad , no more pain xxx
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

I got feeling now he retired we now see like snooker had a world senior type event 16 players maybe held a circus tavern
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Will he play some soft tip in Japan ;-)
JFT97
Canuck_bully
The Ton Club

Post by Canuck_bully »

foggs3355 wrote:I got feeling now he retired we now see like snooker had a world senior type event 16 players maybe held a circus tavern
Taylor would obviously walk it, still would be good to see how good the rest of the old gang still are.

I thought they tried a legends thing on TV once before...poor old Bristow averaging about 55.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Maverick wrote:Paddy you used to be such an easy going fella! What happened?

I wish Phil a long and happy retirement, he’s certainly earned it.

He’ll be able to work when and where he chooses to and be able to name his price.
Im still easy going Mavie........
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: Taylor's retirement

Post by Skewball »

foggs3355 wrote:I got feeling now he retired we now see like snooker had a world senior type event 16 players maybe held a circus tavern
Problem is it won't earn him as much money as his own exhibition circuit. Can't see it happening for A few years yet.
Paulie Walnuts
Pub Champion

Post by Paulie Walnuts »

I remember that Legends Tour that was on TV with Dave Whitcombe and a few more, but it was panned after a year I think
rabsmith2
Superleague Player

Post by rabsmith2 »

Paulie Walnuts wrote:I remember that Legends Tour that was on TV with Dave Whitcombe and a few more, but it was panned after a year I think
Keith Deller won the last one,it if I'm not mistaken I think Bob Anderson won one
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Paddy McGinty wrote: It used to be 6k plus VAT........who the hell would pay 10k

As history has already show

A hell of a lot more people will pay it than ones who would pay a hell of a lot less to have Wolfie & Trina do one
rabsmith2
Superleague Player

Post by rabsmith2 »

rabsmith2 wrote:
Paulie Walnuts wrote:I remember that Legends Tour that was on TV with Dave Whitcombe and a few more, but it was panned after a year I think
Keith Deller won the last one,it if I'm not mistaken I think Bob Anderson won one
It was on Santana Sports,think there was some contractual issues with the PDC or Sky
Canuck_bully
The Ton Club

Post by Canuck_bully »

el_ringo wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote: It used to be 6k plus VAT........who the hell would pay 10k

As history has already show

A hell of a lot more people will pay it than ones who would pay a hell of a lot less to have Wolfie & Trina do one
At what size venues does Taylor exhibit at? I'm assuming it's like larger venues 500+ people and not small pubs. Even at $10k it would be quite easy to cover that fee and still make the venue a nice profit with ticket sales along with drinks/food sales.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

rabsmith2 wrote:
It was on Santana Sports,think there was some contractual issues with the PDC or Sky
Sentanta went out of business after showing the first years of what was meant to be a 2 or 3 year deal.

The PDPA members who played in it had to resign from the PDPA in order to play in a televised event not under their auspice

Judas Gregory was also allegedly meant to have been a part of it but other players refused to take part if the Tungsten Benedict Arnold participated
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Canuck_bully wrote:
At what size venues does Taylor exhibit at? I'm assuming it's like larger venues 500+ people and not small pubs. Even at $10k it would be quite easy to cover that fee and still make the venue a nice profit with ticket sales along with drinks/food sales.
I always presumed that he mostly did corporate work rather than the traditional club type exbo.

I know he just did one on the IOW at the Medina Theatre which has a capacity of around 425 bear in mind it was a 4 man tournament along with local Keegan Brown, Mark Webster & Simon Whitlock and Bobby George as well in attendance for good measure. I am not 100% sure but think tickets were around the £30 mark.

A signed framed photo with Mr Taylor was an available option for £35 with apparently no end of takers
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

It has a very short shelf life as a novelty event. If it had gone past a year, without new names, it would have bombed.

Look at Masters Football, for one example.

Taylor did a Sportsman's Dinner I was at once. Did a Q&A, photos with everyone and they auctioned off a few legs of darts. He was very good with the people there. Think he enjoyed the respect (and fee, of course.)
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Taylor's retirement

Post by Ginge »

markymark wrote:
It has a very short shelf life as a novelty event. If it had gone past a year, without new names, it would have bombed.

Look at Masters Football, for one example.

Taylor did a Sportsman's Dinner I was at once. Did a Q&A, photos with everyone and they auctioned off a few legs of darts. He was very good with the people there. Think he enjoyed the respect (and fee, of course.)
Hearn scoffed at the idea of a PDC legends tour the other werk to someone on Twitter. Won't be happening, well not under the PDC banner anyway.
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

el_ringo wrote:
Canuck_bully wrote:
I always presumed that he mostly did corporate work rather than the traditional club type exbo.

I know he just did one on the IOW at the Medina Theatre which has a capacity of around 425 bear in mind it was a 4 man tournament along with local Keegan Brown, Mark Webster & Simon Whitlock and Bobby George as well in attendance for good measure. I am not 100% sure but think tickets were around the £30 mark.

A signed framed photo with Mr Taylor was an available option for £35 with apparently no end of takers
There are some very sad people around.......£30.00 for an autograph.....they must be deranged.....
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
el_ringo wrote:
Canuck_bully wrote:

There are some very sad people around.......£30.00 for an autograph.....they must be deranged.....
I paid £20 for a photo of Mrs devo and myself, with Bristow - Deller - and the trophy of course. Signed as well! I'll try and put a piccie on FB.

Was it worth it?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

devosteve wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
el_ringo wrote:
Canuck_bully wrote:

I paid £20 for a photo of Mrs devo and myself, with Bristow - Deller - and the trophy of course. Signed as well! I'll try and put a piccie on FB.

Was it worth it?
Not really I got a pic with the same two for nought.......... you've been caught in the consumerism trap, wake up.

On another note I take it you've backed out of the trip to Mecca this year?
paolo2144
Steady Sixties

Post by paolo2144 »

I would like to see taylor now return to playing with his trusty old phase 5's now that he has retired from main tour.

Whilst his decline in form over last few years is down to age, length of career at top and lack of practice i still think he played his best darts ever with the phase 5's from Unicorn
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Canuck_bully wrote:
Taylor would obviously walk it, still would be good to see how good the rest of the old gang still are.

I thought they tried a legends thing on TV once before...poor old Bristow averaging about 55.
Would love a seniors event I know a 58 year old lady who would love a go.