Taylor's retirement

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The Jolly Man
County Player

Re: Taylor's retirement

Post by The Jolly Man »

Back end of year 55+ to enter as this could allow Terry Jenkins in. Looking at DD think you could have a decent field especially if they attracted the likes of Adams, Warren and Monty to it. At least one woman and invite the likes of Sinnave and Butler over from North America to give a World Champ field.
Mgt
Superleague Player

Post by Mgt »

Darts has an age range of 20-55'ish already. Anybody who thinks a 'legends tour' has any commercial viability outside small clubs for diehard darts fans is deluding themself.

If you want to go watch Bristow, Lowe, Deller etc., than buy a ticket to an exbo, plenty of those around.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Mgt wrote:Darts has an age range of 20-55'ish already. Anybody who thinks a 'legends tour' has any commercial viability outside small clubs for diehard darts fans is deluding themself.

If you want to go watch Bristow, Lowe, Deller etc., than buy a ticket to an exbo, plenty of those around.
Oh i'm not so sure when people are prepared to pay 10k for one Taylor exhibition nothing surprises me, what is the world coming to..........
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Bram_1900
County Player

Post by Bram_1900 »

The problem with a senior tour is that these players hardly practise. They do exbo's, show some tricks, but arent on their top level any more. If you would do a senior the averages will be quite low as you saw with a tour that was done a few years ago. This legends tour in 2008 had matches with averages like these:

(78.75) Cliff Lazarenko England 7 - 3 England Eric Bristow (68.94)
(61.95) Eric Bristow England 1 - 7 England Keith Deller (75.66)
(72.93) Cliff Lazarenko England 7 - 4 England Dave Whitcombe (69.12)

Wonder if you would make someone happy with matches like that. Of course Taylor will still throw well, as goes for Jenkins but the likes of Priestley or Ovens are long retired and wont play so well any more.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

I think a tour is off the cards. As people say there are exbos out there. But I am sure that one off World Masters events are a possibility. Now that Taylor has retired I think it makes it a real possibility. The PDC know that fans will pay to come and watch Taylor again no matter wether he practices or not for the next 3-5 years easily.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Don't need a 'tour' or anything when they all do exbo's anyway. Pointless unless by some miracle a TV channel wanted to pick it up again.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Bram_1900 wrote:The problem with a senior tour is that these players hardly practise. They do exbo's, show some tricks, but arent on their top level any more. If you would do a senior the averages will be quite low as you saw with a tour that was done a few years ago. This legends tour in 2008 had matches with averages like these:

Wonder if you would make someone happy with matches like that. Of course Taylor will still throw well, as goes for Jenkins but the likes of Priestley or Ovens are long retired and wont play so well any more.
All on telly? Need to add them to the sub-70 thread if so.
Big Jock Knew
Kyeavfc
The Ton Club

Post by Kyeavfc »

Article below off the BBC Sports website:

Phil Taylor: Darts says farewell to sport's unlikely revolutionary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/42332921
Bram_1900
County Player

Post by Bram_1900 »

Ginge wrote:
Bram_1900 wrote:The problem with a senior tour is that these players hardly practise. They do exbo's, show some tricks, but arent on their top level any more. If you would do a senior the averages will be quite low as you saw with a tour that was done a few years ago. This legends tour in 2008 had matches with averages like these:

All on telly? Need to add them to the sub-70 thread if so.
"In Australia and the UK, Setanta Sports broadcast the League of Legends"

See for all the results:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BetFred_League_of_Legends
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Bag Carrier wrote:Will he play some soft tip in Japan ;-)

SUPER DARTS 2018 “The Power” plays Alex Reyes first round in 1st Round at Akasaka on March 15th.
Attachments
IMG_20180222_144017.jpg
IMG_20180222_144017.jpg (92 KiB) Viewed 910 times

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

I thought he retired? just goes to show you can't believe a word he says.....
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Paddy McGinty wrote:I thought he retired? just goes to show you can't believe a word he says.....
He retired in 1993
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

ifm wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:I thought he retired? just goes to show you can't believe a word he says.....
He retired in 1993
:WWWW:
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (9.14 KiB) Viewed 852 times

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

ifm wrote:
He retired in 1993
Yes but he was still playing exhibitions up until last year.
Canuck_bully
The Ton Club

Post by Canuck_bully »

He has, he's just helping promote the growth of the PDC even further in Asia. Exciting times in the PDC over the next couple of decades for sure...enjoy Paddy! :CCCCC:
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: Taylor's retirement

Post by ifm »

Canuck_bully wrote:
He has, he's just helping promote the growth of the PDC even further in Asia. Exciting times in the PDC over the next couple of decades for sure...enjoy Paddy! :CCCCC:
Isn't that soft tip?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Canuck_bully
The Ton Club

Post by Canuck_bully »

ifm wrote:
Canuck_bully wrote:
Isn't that soft tip?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Probably :grin: , all about encouragiing the soft tippers to take up the steel tip game? How is Taylor going to do cause he wont be able to use 26g soft tip darts?
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Canuck_bully wrote:
There's too much of it.....people are getting fed up.....Isee sky are showing it for free again on 121......
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Canuck_bully wrote:
There's too much of it.....people are getting fed up.....Isee sky are showing it for free again on 121......
Only to sky subscribers
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

ssjsa wrote:
Bag Carrier wrote:Will he play some soft tip in Japan ;-)

SUPER DARTS 2018 “The Power” plays Alex Reyes first round in 1st Round at Akasaka on March 15th.
Who would have thought this. Maybe my crystal ball still works.
JFT97