Will there be a BDO world champs in 2019?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 37

MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

With so much talk about losing C4, leaving lakeside and most the players leaving or wanting to leave etc. Will there even be a BDO worlds in 2019 and if so what state will it be in...
Dannyboy
International

Re: Will there be a BDO world champs in 2019?

Post by Dannyboy »

Yes there will be. But on Eurosport, with the same prize money, perhaps not at Lakeside and on a vastly cut production budget.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Will there be a BDO world champs in 2019?

Post by Ginge »

MancheStar wrote:With so much talk about losing C4, leaving lakeside and most the players leaving or wanting to leave etc. Will there even be a BDO worlds in 2019 and if so what state will it be in...
Well if it isn't there (And I think it will be there because quite frankly Potter would be nuts to give it up) there has apparently been a guarantee the 2019 event will have at least the same money. So a new funding stream would be needed.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

I hope its still at Potters, for the simple reason there will be another meet next year.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:I hope its still at Potters, for the simple reason there will be another meet next year.
And that brings me on to the obvious question: if its at a different venue, why not just go to it there instead?
Big Jock Knew
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

If it’s on Eurosport etc next year Durrant would be crazy to stay on he’s in his prime deffo needs to move before the ship sinks.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

It will be at Lakeside I would think.
The question mark is TV. And unless it's announced in the next 3 days (the obvious time if Ch4 are happy with it) then it will be months of speculation.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

It’s not Potter that wants to give it up it seems
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:It’s not Potter that wants to give it up it seems
Well I will rephrase my earlier statement then: quite frankly the BDO would be nuts to give it up. Unless they have found another sponsor willing to stump up over £300k to pay for prizes or are expecting another venue to provide the fund through its ticket sales....
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

BlueSpark wrote:I hope its still at Potters, for the simple reason there will be another meet next year.
Sparky warming to the BDO now........I knew watching real darts would convert him.....
Last edited by Paddy McGinty on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote:
oche balboa wrote:It’s not Potter that wants to give it up it seems
Well I will rephrase my earlier statement then: quite frankly the BDO would be nuts to give it up. Unless they have found another sponsor willing to stump up over £300k to pay for prizes or are expecting another venue to provide the fund through its ticket sales....
Agreed. For all its faults, giving up Lakeside would mean the BDO Board would need lynching, I have no doubt that 80% of the reason Ch4 took it on was because it was at Lakeside. Plus the fact that Lakeside comes across well on TV when only half full, the layout, low ceiling, balconies etc make it look good on TV. QUite frankly to move by choice would be 100% madness
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Ginge wrote:
And that brings me on to the obvious question: if its at a different venue, why not just go to it there instead?
I could and probably will
However it is only a 30 minute drive up the road at the moment :grin:
Si Robin
Pub Champion

Post by Si Robin »

There will be a BDO World Champs, and I think it'll stay at Lakeside.

Murphio, I think it was, said yesterday and I agree with him - the BDO would be absolutely bonkers to leave Lakeside. The history of the place is one of the main reasons the BDO still has appeal. The commentators and presenters are consistently banging on about the feel of Lakeside and the atmosphere that's generated.

If they leave Lakeside, then the BDO World Champs will look like all do the previous WDTs - hardly anyone in the audience and less atmosphere than the moon.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Dear lord.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ifm wrote:Dear lord.
do you actually have an opinion on this? Or would that expose you to potentially being wrong in the future?
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Skewball wrote:
do you actually have an opinion on this? Or would that expose you to potentially being wrong in the future?
I said on the other thread when Nikki confirmed it was going ahead next year that it will definitely stop you lot speculating on it not going ahead ;-)
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

100% yes. And if oche is right re Potter then 100% at lakeside.

The history and tradition of the place is a major plus for the BDO.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ifm wrote:
Skewball wrote:
I said on the other thread when Nikki confirmed it was going ahead next year that it will definitely stop you lot speculating on it not going ahead ;-)
on that I can agree, ridiculous title of this thread. The debate is just around where on TV I should think.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Nick only confirmed it would have at least the same money, didnt he? Not where it was ;)
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Another scaremongering thread by the BDO's biggest hater.......
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"