PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 10th-18th November 2018- Wolverhampton

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ChrisW
International

Re: PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 10th-18th November 2018- Wolverhampton

Post by ChrisW »

ssjsa wrote:
thelad1985 wrote:The BDO lads always do better than you think - Maybe they will surprise themselves again this year - Duzza is one of 4 players that can win it - One of the best all round shooters in the businesss -

Robson
Well given they have done poorly over the last 4 years, with Durrant's last 16 win over Chisnall being the only knockout round victory by a BDO player, it is pretty difficult to imagine they have done better than you think, unless you are a seriously deluded individual. :WWWW:
I know he is a troll. But do you honestly think if it was a level playing field it would not be a closer set of results?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Interesting thought. You could argue that all football games are played on a similar field. But home advantage does seem to have an effect (positive and negative btw).

A troll comment up above. But does this thought apply to darts? Play gsod at lakeside and the bdo players would do better?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

ChrisW wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
thelad1985 wrote:The BDO lads always do better than you think - Maybe they will surprise themselves again this year - Duzza is one of 4 players that can win it - One of the best all round shooters in the businesss -

Robson
Well given they have done poorly over the last 4 years, with Durrant's last 16 win over Chisnall being the only knockout round victory by a BDO player, it is pretty difficult to imagine they have done better than you think, unless you are a seriously deluded individual. :WWWW:
I know he is a troll. But do you honestly think if it was a level playing field it would not be a closer set of results?
How could the playing field be levelled more?

16 players from the BDO instead of the current 8 and replacing the PDC qualifiers?

Surely this would also mean the PDC Workd Youth Champion and runner up would not qualify, nor would the World Cup representatives,

The best 8 the BDO have to offer have been poor over the last 4 years, can you honestly see the Top 16 from the BDO doing any better if they were up against the Top 16 in the PDC.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

If they want half the spots they should offer up half the prize fund...

They are lucky to get 8 ffs. Can't have yer cake and eat it.
You wonder how long the current arrangement will last as the BDO vanishes into more obscurity year on year.
Big Jock Knew
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote:If they want half the spots they should offer up half the prize fund...

You wonder how long the current arrangement will last as the BDO vanishes into more obscurity year on year.
So very much this ^^^^^^^^
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

ssjsa wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

Robson

16 players from the BDO instead of the current 8 and replacing the PDC qualifiers?

Surely this would also mean the PDC Workd Youth Champion and runner up would not qualify, nor would the World Cup representatives,

The best 8 the BDO have to offer have been poor over the last 4 years, can you honestly see the Top 16 from the BDO doing any better if they were up against the Top 16 in the PDC.
I think if you set up the top 16 in the BDO against whatever the PDC put in they would fare better than the current weighting.
I still think the PDC players would do better. But you would get more BDO players in the last 16.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

ChrisW wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

Robson

I think if you set up the top 16 in the BDO against whatever the PDC put in they would fare better than the current weighting.
I still think the PDC players would do better. But you would get more BDO players in the last 16.
My point is Chris that if the Top 16 in the BDO were allowed in, there would be no place for the weaker elements of the PDC representation.

No Youth, no WC pairs and no qualifiers. If it were strictly Top 16 from each code, I think the last 16 knockout winners and subsequent quarter finalists would in all likelihood all be the PDC players.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Ginge wrote:If they want half the spots they should offer up half the prize fund...

Think this will be the last year. Especially as you would think all 8 who may qualify next year will have been to q-school.

I keep saying it but think the PDC can use the extra 8 spots to bring in Champions from around the world.

Make the Worlds qualification as OOM only and the winners of one off tournaments qualify for this. So for example the NA Champ (Jeff Smith this year) would go to GSOD and not the Worlds. Oceanic Masters already exists. I’m sure they could create an Asian tournament for top 32 etc.
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

The Jolly Man wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:

Think this will be the last year. Especially as you would think all 8 who may qualify next year will have been to q-school.

I keep saying it but think the PDC can use the extra 8 spots to bring in Champions from around the world.

Make the Worlds qualification as OOM only and the winners of one off tournaments qualify for this. So for example the NA Champ (Jeff Smith this year) would go to GSOD and not the Worlds. Oceanic Masters already exists. I’m sure they could create an Asian tournament for top 32 etc.
Can't see this happening anytime soon, the Worlds is the flagship tournament, by far the biggest they have. The PDC needs the international qualifiers there, and they add to the event as well, better to watch those players than someone ranked around 70-80 in the OoM
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

ChrisW wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

Robson

So if the BDO sent 16 players instead of 8, they'd have more in the last 16. Not exactly a bold statement, is it?
Deleted User

Re: RE: Re: PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 10th-18th November 2018- Wolverhampton

Post by Deleted User »

26scored wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

So if the BDO sent 16 players instead of 8, they'd have more in the last 16. Not exactly a bold statement, is it?
They might have more in the last 16. Or maybe not.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Not meant to be a bold statement just a matter of fact. It is 24 v 8. It will never be a test of the codes. Unfortunately.
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

Bdo would probably do worse overall in that case as youd replace the weaker PDC players with weaker BDO players making it harder for the top few BDO players to find someone they could beat.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ChrisW wrote:Not meant to be a bold statement just a matter of fact. It is 24 v 8. It will never be a test of the codes. Unfortunately.
What, you think there needs to be a test of the codes??!!! Apart from literally maybe 3 bdo players any test would be a waste of time.
That boat sailed about 10 years ago.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Astonvilla wrote:Bdo would probably do worse overall in that case as youd replace the weaker PDC players with weaker BDO players making it harder for the top few BDO players to find someone they could beat.
Spot on.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Skewball wrote:
Astonvilla wrote:Bdo would probably do worse overall in that case as youd replace the weaker PDC players with weaker BDO players making it harder for the top few BDO players to find someone they could beat.
Spot on.
And currently as it stands this , and the UK Open, are the only opportunities for a BDO player to appear on TV if this doesn't change very soon then there is no way there will be any need or use for 8 BDO spots in a PDC Major.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

GSOD group stage matches involving the PDC's 8 seeded players and the 8 BDO players, with the current qualifying structure for the BDO (major winners + top from ranking):

2016:

Michael van Gerwen 5-2 Martin Adams
Robert Thornton 5-3 Scott Waites
Peter Wright 5-1 Jeff Smith
Phil Taylor 5-1 Darryl Fitton
Gary Anderson 5-4 Glen Durrant
Mensur Suljovic 3-5 Danny Noppert
James Wade 5-3 Jamie Hughes
Adrian Lewis 1-5 Scott Mitchell

2017:

Michael van Gerwen 5-1 Ross Montgomery
Raymond van Barneveld 5-1 Jamie Hughes
Phil Taylor 5-1 Peter Machin
Daryl Gurney 5-1 Danny Noppert
Peter Wright 2-5 Glen Durrant
Dave Chisnall 5-2 Scott Mitchell
Mensur Suljovic 5-2 Mark McGeeney
Gary Anderson 5-3 Cameron Menzies

Total record: 13-3

GSOD group stage matches involving the PDC's 8 second-pot players and the 8 BDO players:

2016:

Brendan Dolan 5-3 Martin Adams
Gerwyn Price 5-2 Scott Waites
Simon Whitlock 4-5 Jeff Smith
Ian White 4-5 Darryl Fitton
Alan Norris 1-5 Glen Durrant
Raymond van Barneveld 5-2 Danny Noppert
Dave Chisnall 1-5 Jamie Hughes
Benito van de Pas 5-1 Scott Mitchell

2017:

Rob Cross 5-2 Ross Montgomery
Gerwyn Price 1-5 Jamie Hughes
James Wade 5-1 Peter Machin
Darren Webster 5-2 Danny Noppert
Alan Norris 3-5 Glen Durrant
Stephen Bunting 5-4 Scott Mitchell
Michael Smith 5-4 Mark McGeeney
Simon Whitlock 2-5 Cameron Menzies

Total record: 9-7

I'm sure bringing in 8 additional BDO players who are worse than the ones already there is really going to help to close the gap. Chris Landman for GSOD!

On a side note, 5 of those 10 BDO wins were achieved by players who have since moved to the PDC. Technically 6, but I guess Fitton's headed back in October, and didn't really do anything in the PDC this year anyway. Glen Durrant had 3 of the remaining 4 wins. (Glen Durrant is the only non-difference between the codes. :))
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

26scored wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:

Can't see this happening anytime soon, the Worlds is the flagship tournament, by far the biggest they have. The PDC needs the international qualifiers there, and they add to the event as well, better to watch those players than someone ranked around 70-80 in the OoM
When I say oom I meant from the regional oom. So the CDC would have 3 qualifiers instead of two this year.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Zeyes wrote:GSOD group stage matches involving the PDC's 8 seeded players and the 8 BDO players, with the current qualifying structure for the BDO (major winners + top from ranking):

2016:

Michael van Gerwen 5-2 Martin Adams
Robert Thornton 5-3 Scott Waites
Peter Wright 5-1 Jeff Smith
Phil Taylor 5-1 Darryl Fitton
Gary Anderson 5-4 Glen Durrant
Mensur Suljovic 3-5 Danny Noppert
James Wade 5-3 Jamie Hughes
Adrian Lewis 1-5 Scott Mitchell

2017:

Michael van Gerwen 5-1 Ross Montgomery
Raymond van Barneveld 5-1 Jamie Hughes
Phil Taylor 5-1 Peter Machin
Daryl Gurney 5-1 Danny Noppert
Peter Wright 2-5 Glen Durrant
Dave Chisnall 5-2 Scott Mitchell
Mensur Suljovic 5-2 Mark McGeeney
Gary Anderson 5-3 Cameron Menzies

Total record: 13-3

GSOD group stage matches involving the PDC's 8 second-pot players and the 8 BDO players:

2016:

Brendan Dolan 5-3 Martin Adams
Gerwyn Price 5-2 Scott Waites
Simon Whitlock 4-5 Jeff Smith
Ian White 4-5 Darryl Fitton
Alan Norris 1-5 Glen Durrant
Raymond van Barneveld 5-2 Danny Noppert
Dave Chisnall 1-5 Jamie Hughes
Benito van de Pas 5-1 Scott Mitchell

2017:

Rob Cross 5-2 Ross Montgomery
Gerwyn Price 1-5 Jamie Hughes
James Wade 5-1 Peter Machin
Darren Webster 5-2 Danny Noppert
Alan Norris 3-5 Glen Durrant
Stephen Bunting 5-4 Scott Mitchell
Michael Smith 5-4 Mark McGeeney
Simon Whitlock 2-5 Cameron Menzies

Total record: 9-7

I'm sure bringing in 8 additional BDO players who are worse than the ones already there is really going to help to close the gap. Chris Landman for GSOD!

On a side note, 5 of those 10 BDO wins were achieved by players who have since moved to the PDC. Technically 6, but I guess Fitton's headed back in October, and didn't really do anything in the PDC this year anyway. Glen Durrant had 3 of the remaining 4 wins. (Glen Durrant is the only non-difference between the codes. :))

Fitton played PDC and then had a back op so that’s a misnomer to begin with

PDC players are ultimately going to be better as they are the professional. Like the FA Cup (prem sides are better then championship ones) in Europe (the rump of the champions league sides would beat the Europa League guys) etc

BDO Have never has the top 8 in their rankings. This year they will. Not saying it will be any better but we may see different results. BDO were realistically 4 legs away from beating the PDC players(Group stages) last year (Monday when Mitchell, Menzies, Durrant & McGeeney)
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

And has for this being the last year this rhetoric has been said for years

Sky love it, Hearn loves it, fans love it & the players speak in favour of it

BDO may be in a mess but next year you could feebly see EX-PDC players competiting for the BDO
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021