Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ssjsa
International

Re: RE: Re: PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 10th-18th November 2018- Wolverhampton

Post by ssjsa »

DavidB wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
The Crusader wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:An utter joke these players get into the slam from a qualifier. They really need to knock this idea on the head and give it to more deserving players.
I dont mind it. Only thing I would change is allow a certain number of BDO players to enter today too.
Agree with Sparky in the main, in that Mervyn King, De Zwaan, Noppert, Mansell and Aspinall deserve to be there given they all won tournaments this season. Would have no issue with the remaining 3 spots being given to floor qualifiers rather than the next 3 in the OOM not already qualified.

In relation to the BDO qualifiers, I think that their inclusion is the usp of the GSOD, and differentiates this event from the rest of the PDC Majors, but the quality of the BDO players has been diluted over the years, despite their qualifying criteria over the past 2 years providing the strongest 8 players within the organisation to represent them, and perhaps it is time to reduce their number to a level that is commensurate with their ability to provide players who can be competitive.

Anyway, all that being said I am looking forward to the tournament starting on Saturday, and as always will be hoping the BDO players do themselves justice and do well.

Will the PDC top 4 do themselves justice is the question you should be asking...
Why should I be asking that question?

MVG and Ando still smashing in ton plus averages, even when losing, and whilst both Snakebite and Rob Cross have been far from their best, they don't need to be to deal with the likes of Steve Hine, Joe Murnan, Gary Robson and Adam Smith-Neale.

No disrespect intended to the players I've mentioned above, as they have qualified, but can you realistically see any of them giving even an out of form Wright or Cross a scare.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

ssjsa wrote:
DavidB wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
The Crusader wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:An utter joke these players get into the slam from a qualifier. They really need to knock this idea on the head and give it to more deserving players.
I dont mind it. Only thing I would change is allow a certain number of BDO players to enter today too.
Agree with Sparky in the main, in that Mervyn King, De Zwaan, Noppert, Mansell and Aspinall deserve to be there given they all won tournaments this season. Would have no issue with the remaining 3 spots being given to floor qualifiers rather than the next 3 in the OOM not already qualified.

In relation to the BDO qualifiers, I think that their inclusion is the usp of the GSOD, and differentiates this event from the rest of the PDC Majors, but the quality of the BDO players has been diluted over the years, despite their qualifying criteria over the past 2 years providing the strongest 8 players within the organisation to represent them, and perhaps it is time to reduce their number to a level that is commensurate with their ability to provide players who can be competitive.

Anyway, all that being said I am looking forward to the tournament starting on Saturday, and as always will be hoping the BDO players do themselves justice and do well.

Will the PDC top 4 do themselves justice is the question you should be asking...
Why should I be asking that question?

MVG and Ando still smashing in ton plus averages, even when losing, and whilst both Snakebite and Rob Cross have been far from their best, they don't need to be to deal with the likes of Steve Hine, Joe Murnan, Gary Robson and Adam Smith-Neale.

No disrespect intended to the players I've mentioned above, as they have qualified, but can you realistically see any of them giving even an out of form Wright or Cross a scare.

Take the blinkers off mate - if Wright and Cross continue to average 70 and 80 then even you could beat them !!!

So yes you should be asking the question - as it stands none of MvG, Anderson, Wright and Cross are in any immediate shape of form to win a week long tough event. It’s indeed an interesting sub plot as far as many are concerned, even if you don’t agree ;-)
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

ssjsa wrote:
in a group game cos fo the short format a quick break of throw someone can easy be 3-0 up in a race to 5 against anyone and then its just a case of hanging on for a win and that's happened plenty of times in the GSOD over the years.

Are they going to be able to compete over a longer best of 21 legs and more game with a top PDC pro ? nah no chance in hell
Little Lonely Garry
International

Re: PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 10th-18th November 2018- Wolverhampton

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Just catching up on this
If this is not validation for everything i have ever said on all that is wrong with the pdc qualification for the grand lam then nothing is.

When proper top 16 players like dave chisnall , adrian lewis etc are sat at home and steve hine and others are in the grand slam then something is seriously wrong with the qualification criteria.

This not knocking those who won today and earned their place, but the process that was in place that made it so.
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ChrisW wrote:The 8 qualifiers.

Martin Schindler
Stephen Bunting
Andrew Gilding
Steve Hine
Mark Webster
Joe Murnan
Keegan Brown
Ryan Searle
An abomination. More deserving players out there based on their ProTour results.

Hine? Dear lord.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

PVDarts501 wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
PVDarts501 wrote:At least BDO players have a chance now to become third in group.
Ha!
How was your development tour experience this weekend?
Magical. Full story wednesday.
No rush.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Can't wait.
PVDarts501
Steady Sixties

Post by PVDarts501 »

I read on Facebook John Part was in the venue, but disqualified for some reason. Post said he had an argument with Peter Manley & Robert Thornton.
TROUBLEAGAIN
Superleague Player

Post by TROUBLEAGAIN »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
ChrisW wrote:The 8 qualifiers.

Martin Schindler
Stephen Bunting
Andrew Gilding
Steve Hine
Mark Webster
Joe Murnan
Keegan Brown
Ryan Searle
An abomination. More deserving players out there based on their ProTour results.

Hine? Dear lord.

First year i have missed so glad as well.
fling
County Player

Post by fling »

ChrisW wrote:How many do we think will make it through the group stage?
Depending on the draw, possibly Searle & Bunting.
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

PVDarts501 wrote:
phil davies wrote:Very good day for Martin Schindler then. Also should see Gilding keep his tour card by remaining in the top 64.
Might also qualify for the worlds if Cadby pulls out.
I would bet me house on it he is in then. Cadby has pulled out of everything lately so cant see him being in the worlds in the next 6 weeks
JFT97
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Bag Carrier wrote:
PVDarts501 wrote:
phil davies wrote:Very good day for Martin Schindler then. Also should see Gilding keep his tour card by remaining in the top 64.
I would bet me house on it he is in then. Cadby has pulled out of everything lately so cant see him being in the worlds in the next 6 weeks
Well indeed. You try chucking with a pretend broken arm.
SAFC
Superleague Player

Post by SAFC »

Anyone know what time the draw is
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Bag Carrier wrote:
PVDarts501 wrote:
Well indeed. You try chucking with a pretend broken arm.
He doesn't even have to chuck with a pretend broken arm. Just hold his darts with it.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

3:30 today is the draw
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

I will get the comp thread up when I get home from work if the draw has been sorted.
fling
County Player

Post by fling »

BlueSpark wrote:I will get the comp thread up when I get home from work if the draw has been sorted.
The draw is on at 3.30pm live on PDC Facebook page.
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

Fanatics are rushing home to watch. It better be on time.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Christopher Kempf, the statistical analyst of the PDC, takes a look at the most consistent performers in last-leg deciders.

The deciding leg is the true test of a professional dart player, in which an 11-leg, 21-leg or even longer match is at the mercy of the player who can seize the advantage in 90 seconds' worth of darts.

The pressure can often be immense, as even the advantage of throwing first, a 180, and five match-darts in the final leg were not enough to secure the bwin World Series of Darts Finals title for Michael Smith.

At the Grand Slam of Darts, strong performances in deciding legs become even more crucial as players fight to earn points and gain a favourable seeding in the knockout round.

Since the format of the group matches is so short (best of nine legs), the odds that any given match will proceed to the ninth leg are very high - at last year's event, 14 of the 48 group matches were played to their full length.

It is therefore crucial for the qualified players that they are prepared to throw their best darts with two points and possible group elimination on the line. So, who is best - and least - prepared for this challenge?

Having played 30 deciding legs and lost 17 of them, Gerwyn Price will be disappointed with his last-leg return, averaging just 87 with throw.

The dramatic quarter-final decider at the European Championship two weeks ago was a case in point; the Welshman squandered three darts at double and could not hold throw in 18 darts as James Wade rolled on to the title. 

No player has contested more last-leg deciders than Rob Cross - 41 in total this year. But while the World Champion is deadly when throwing first (21 wins in 27 matches), his average plummets against the throw (92.61 - some 5 points below his overall average).

Consequently he has only broken throw in a deciding leg three times in 14 attempts. In a last-leg against Jamie Lewis at the World Series Finals for instance, Cross could not reach a finish within 12 darts and was eliminated in his first match.

Michael van Gerwen derives most of his advantage in the darts world from not needing to play deciding legs in the first place, but he has won eight out of 10 last-leg deciders this year, including three on the European Tour.

James Wade, who arrives in Wolverhampton with two consecutive televised titles to his name, is enjoying a career renaissance this year, thanks in part to his mastery of the last-leg decider.

While Wade's 93.93 average with throw in deciding legs does not suggest dominance, he has nonetheless held throw in 94% of legs and broken in 58%, where he averages 98.47.

As 'The Machine' has demonstrated in both of his 2018 title successes, victories can be won by waiting for one's opponent to make a mistake, and then by punishing ruthlessly when given the opportunity.

The 23 deciding legs (79% win rate) won by Wade in 2018 have earned him many thousands of pounds this year and a re-found respect as one of the most dangerous players in darts. 

A deciding leg is not just a leg; it's a best-of-one match. With that mentality, the best players are able to put any miscues or match darts behind them and concentrate their best efforts into those critical final few seconds that can make or break their careers.
Attachments
LastLegStats.jpg
LastLegStats.jpg (447.78 KiB) Viewed 1157 times

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
BOOM
Superleague Player

Post by BOOM »

Looks like a really weak event this year.