PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 10th-18th November 2018- Wolverhampton

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
DavidB
International

Re: PDC Grand Slam of Darts- 10th-18th November 2018- Wolverhampton

Post by DavidB »

Mgt wrote:
ChrisW wrote:Mitchell and durrant biggest chance for me.
I'm a bit surprised by all these people thinking Mitchell has a good chance actually. I think it's quite a tough group. Mensur is one of the world's better players, Bunting has the ability and experience and is getting back into some form and Schindler has gained quite some stage experience this year, regularly getting to the last 16 of eurotour events. Mitchell has got his work cut out for him as far as I'm concerned.

Because the flip side Mensur is not playing well at present, Bunting has been hit and miss, Schindler barely wins a game on tv and Mitchell is due to get out of the group sometime soon!
Mgt
Superleague Player

Post by Mgt »

DavidB wrote:
Mgt wrote:
I'm a bit surprised by all these people thinking Mitchell has a good chance actually. I think it's quite a tough group. Mensur is one of the world's better players, Bunting has the ability and experience and is getting back into some form and Schindler has gained quite some stage experience this year, regularly getting to the last 16 of eurotour events. Mitchell has got his work cut out for him as far as I'm concerned.

Because the flip side Mensur is not playing well at present, Bunting has been hit and miss, Schindler barely wins a game on tv and Mitchell is due to get out of the group sometime soon!
The two games Schindler lost in majors this year were against Cadby at the UK open (eventual runner up) and Wade at the European Championship (eventual winner) though. I think it's about 50/50 between them. Mensur and Bunting are both still favourites against Mitchell in my book.
Si Robin
Pub Champion

Post by Si Robin »

Smith-Neale does look to have the hardest draw out of the BDO boys, but then his draw throughout the Masters was extremely tough as well. It'll be on him to prove that the Masters wasn't a flash in the pan.

I think Durrant has a good draw, and Mitchell is more than capable of getting through his group - although I agree with Mgt it's not as easy a draw as some are suggesting.

I think Jim Williams has a bit of a decent chance, Wright is throwing nails at the moment and Hopp and Payne wouldn't exactly strike the fear of God into anyone. Williams has shown he can throw a mean dart, and in a race to 5 I think he has a great chance.

McGeeney will be thinking he has something to prove after his disaster last year and, again, I don't think he will be scared of anyone in his group. Robson will need to find some consistency, but he has a chance of coming second in his group (MVG will sleepwalk through that one), Unterbuchner I think won't have enough to overcome White and Anderson, and Harms I can't recall playing well for a long time now.

Prediction for the BDO boys - 3 to get through - Durrant, Williams and McGeeney.
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

First to 5 is a bit of a toss up. They could all qualify with the probable exception of Harms.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Mgt wrote:
DavidB wrote:
Mgt wrote:

The two games Schindler lost in majors this year were against Cadby at the UK open (eventual runner up) and Wade at the European Championship (eventual winner) though. I think it's about 50/50 between them. Mensur and Bunting are both still favourites against Mitchell in my book.

Funny how Bunting gets some (unfair) stick but put him up vs Mitchell and he’s suddenly a massive favourite...

As for Schindler, his tv record is dreadful - never past a last 32 and you think he’s suddenly favourite to beat two word champions??
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Astonvilla wrote:First to 5 is a bit of a toss up. They could all qualify with the probable exception of Harms.

Of course it’s anyone’s game best of 5 which makes it great to watch!

As for Harms, he has played well in the GSoD before so it will be interesting. Given how bad Keegan Brown has been on tv of late and that Mark Webster has barely played on tv this year then Harms has a real chance of getting through...
Mgt
Superleague Player

Post by Mgt »

DavidB wrote:
Mgt wrote:
DavidB wrote:
Mgt wrote:

Funny how Bunting gets some (unfair) stick but put him up vs Mitchell and he’s suddenly a massive favourite...

As for Schindler, his tv record is dreadful - never past a last 32 and you think he’s suddenly favourite to beat two word champions??
Bunting gets stick because some idiots pretended he was close to the PDC top players when he was still in the BDO, which he clearly wasn't. That doesn't mean he isn't better than Mitchell who is also nowhere near the PDC top.

Schindler's tv record is extremely short as he is still quite young, and as I explained to you before he hasn't had the easiest draws.

Where did I say Schindler is favourite to beat two world champions? I said he is equal to Mitchell and Bunting and Suljovic are both favourites to beat Mitchell.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

DavidB wrote:
Astonvilla wrote:First to 5 is a bit of a toss up. They could all qualify with the probable exception of Harms.

Of course it’s anyone’s game best of 5 which makes it great to watch!

As for Harms, he has played well in the GSoD before so it will be interesting. Given how bad Keegan Brown has been on tv of late and that Mark Webster has barely played on tv this year then Harms has a real chance of getting through...
Odds on the BDO players getting through their groups:

Group A Gary Robson 5/2
Group B Adam Smith-Neale 7/2
Group C Wesley Harms 7/4
Group D Michael Unterbuchner 7/4
Group E Jim Williams 2/1
Group F Glen Durrant 1/2
Group G Scott Mitchell 7/4
Group H Mark McGeeney 7/4

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Kinks
Steady Sixties

Post by Kinks »

Really good opportunities for the Bdo players this year to advance, only one who looks like they have a real uphill struggle is Adam Smith Neale.

Mitchell has a tough draw but if he can average mid-high 90’s like he seems to a lot of games here he’s got a chance in a harder group.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Odds to win their respective groups.

2018 bwin Grand Slam of Darts
Group A

(1) Michael van Gerwen 1/8
Jonny Clayton 7/1
Joe Murnan 20/1
Gary Robson 20/1

Group B
(8) Michael Smith Evens
Raymond van Barneveld 2/1
Krzysztof Ratajski 7/2
Adam Smith-Neale 16/1

Group C
(5) James Wade 8/15
Keegan Brown 11/2
Mark Webster 5/1
Wesley Harms 6/1

Group D
(4) Gary Anderson 1/3
Ian White 7/2
Steve Hine 8/1
Michael Unterbuchner 6/1

Group E
(2) Peter Wright 4/7
Max Hopp 7/2
Josh Payne 6/1
Jim Williams 8/1

Group F
(7) Simon Whitlock 2/1
Gerwyn Price 2/1
Andrew Gilding 14/1
Glen Durrant 13/8

Group G
(6) Mensur Suljovic 4/5
Stephen Bunting 7/2
Martin Schindler 9/2
Scott Mitchell 11/2

Group H
(3) Rob Cross 5/6
Dimitri Van den Bergh 9/4
Ryan Searle 13/2
Mark McGeeney 13/2

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

DavidB wrote:
WizardofozFan wrote:Simon Whitlock seeded 7th & Michael Smith seeded 8th have the toughest group draws by an absolute country mile. Not sure either the Wizard or Bully Boy will get through, both been hard done-by here by having to face two lower seeded opponents who are bang in form.

MVG, Anderson, Wright & especially James lucky Wade have extremely nice groups, expect them all to qualify with a game to spare.

Certainly Groups B, F, G & H hold the interest levels for me.

I know it’s the luck of the draw but as the 2 x lowest seeds that’s fair enough really - if they were seeded 1 and 2 then it would be harsh!
Yh that's kind of why I made the comment about them being seeded 7th & 8th. Just feel like Simon never gets the kind of group like Wade or MVG have got this year, but there you go. Another group stage exit for the Aussie cometh.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Bradders is hoping no BDO players gets through
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Mgt
Superleague Player

Post by Mgt »

oche balboa wrote:Bradders is hoping no BDO players gets through
Award-Winning-Mind-Reader-[Main].jpg
Award-Winning-Mind-Reader-[Main].jpg (47.53 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Mitchell is a great bet to win that group.
robot
Superleague Player

Post by robot »

Used to get really excited about this tournament, but not so much these days. Probably due to the near saturation point of darts on TV now and other tournaments such as the CLOD replicating group stages.
Having said that will be watching plenty. I reckon all the big guns will much more focused for this major.
2010 TSOD Grand Slam of Darts Prediction Competition - Overall Winner
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Thanks to the 8 PDC wild-card qualifiers this looks like the worst GSoD field ever.

This does give the BDO guys a chance I guess, but I'm not excited by this event like I used to be.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Honestly Group A looks an MVG procession.
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

Dannyboy wrote:Honestly Group A looks an MVG procession.
i would have totally agreed but the guy isnt looking bothered when he looses the last 2 weekends, the reaction / body language wasnt right (my view), i no class is permenent but something doesnt sit right, i feel a few zlotys on big robbo to turn him over, he has played on big stages big crowds in holland before & won dont forget (yes a few years ago), mvg will still be sniffing around the later end of tourny i feel but he isnt the shoe in at the moment for some reason,
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

only85 wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:Honestly Group A looks an MVG procession.
i would have totally agreed but the guy isnt looking bothered when he looses the last 2 weekends, the reaction / body language wasnt right (my view), i no class is permenent but something doesnt sit right, i feel a few zlotys on big robbo to turn him over, he has played on big stages big crowds in holland before & won dont forget (yes a few years ago), mvg will still be sniffing around the later end of tourny i feel but he isnt the shoe in at the moment for some reason,

But but but it's the PDC top players, they will perform because they are the best in the world, form doesn't come into it or so we're told... :grin:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

If people on here genuinely believe Robson will get out of that group, I assume you have all ploughed into the 5/2 (?) available for him to do so? Can we see screenshots of your betting slips please?
Big Jock Knew