Heard a rumour? - Post it here
slymaster
International

Re: World Champions down the years: BDO v Taylor

Post by slymaster »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:Firstly, this was my post on Real fanatics

Secondly, I miscounted and there's actually 25 not 26 potential matchups

Thirdly, I wasn't trolling and I'll tell you why

94 Priestley v Part - Priestley comfortably. Part won in a depleted BDO field and Dennis was class. 1-0
95 Taylor v Burnett - Taylor playing yanks and Tommy Cox's contacts list. Burnett was immense for a spell in the mid 90's. 1-1
96 Taylor v Beaton - As much as I love Steve Beaton I think Taylor's steely nerve would hold better. 2-1
97 Taylor v Wallace - Nobody was beating Les Wallace that year at Lakeside. PDC Worlds still lacklustre in comparison. 2-2
98 Taylor v Barneveld - Poor PDC Worlds. Barney getting over the line. Just. 2-3
99 Taylor v Barneveld - Taylor beat Barney in the H2H. So there's evidence there. Taylor wins. 3-3
00 Taylor v Hankey - Like Wallace, Ted was immaculate that year in the much stronger field. Fancy Ted to pip Taylor (with a 170?) 3-4
01 Taylor v Walton - Sounds like a broken record at present but Walton unbeatable for a time in the stronger field. 3-5
02 Taylor v David - For David read Walton. Think it'd be close though. 3-6
03 Part v Barneveld - Barney the better player at this time and should win. 3-7
04 Taylor v Fordham - Taylor won the H2H and was the better player. 4-7
05 Taylor v Barneveld - Think Taylor wins this as Barney remembers the h2h loss in 99. 5-7
06 Taylor v Klaasen - Taylor wins easily. Klaasen too eratic and scoring not strong enough. 6-7
07 Barneveld v Adams - Barney winning the best final ever and Adams finally winning the big one. Barney wins 7-7
08 Part v Webster - A strange PDC Worlds sees all the fancied players falter. Webster wins a close game. 7-8
09 Taylor v Hankey - Taylor. To nil. 8-8
10 Taylor v Adams - Taylor wins comfortably. 9-8
11 Lewis v Adams - Adams beat Lewis often in their exhibition tour. He does again in official competition. 9-9
12 Lewis v Kist - Lewis to win despite not being at his best. Kist possibly a flash in the pan? 10-9
13 Taylor v Waites - St. Scotty channels the spirit of his grand slam win to take Taylor all the way and pip him. 10-10
14 Van Gerwen v Bunting - Today's Van Gerwen beats 2014 Bunting. 2014 versions are very close. Bunting wins 10-11
15 Anderson v Mitchell - Mitchell beat Anderson on Talksport. Have to use this as evidence. 10-12
16 Anderson v Waites - Anderson wins very comfortably. 11-12
17 Van Gerwen v Durrant - Glen fights hard but can never get in front. Van Gerwen too strong 12-12
18 Cross v Durrant - Durrant's experience a key factor. Pinches a close one 12-13 to the BDO
WOW :omg: :omg: - is this really your honest assessment?

95 Taylor v Burnett - Taylor playing yanks and Tommy Cox's contacts list. Burnett was immense for a spell in the mid 90's. 1-1
96 Taylor v Beaton - As much as I love Steve Beaton I think Taylor's steely nerve would hold better. 2-1
97 Taylor v Wallace - Nobody was beating Les Wallace that year at Lakeside. PDC Worlds still lacklustre in comparison. 2-2
98 Taylor v Barneveld - Poor PDC Worlds. Barney getting over the line. Just. 2-3
99 Taylor v Barneveld - Taylor beat Barney in the H2H. So there's evidence there. Taylor wins. 3-3
00 Taylor v Hankey - Like Wallace, Ted was immaculate that year in the much stronger field. Fancy Ted to pip Taylor (with a 170?) 3-4
01 Taylor v Walton - Sounds like a broken record at present but Walton unbeatable for a time in the stronger field. 3-5

According to your opinion Taylor goes 2-6.
Sorry, Sir, but this is NUTZ!!!!! :WWWW:
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

Bait as bad as that doesnt deserve a bite.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

In finals alone - not much to take away from Taylor.
Tournaments in a unified field - Taylor would have stumbled a few times.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

slymaster wrote:In finals alone - not much to take away from Taylor.
Tournaments in a unified field - Taylor would have stumbled a few times.
The times if Taylor had stumbled then either Priestly or Harrington would of won a unified field title no way on earth any Lakeside winner form 94 - 2003 would of won any unified field World Title.

You have to remember a lot of the people who appeared at Lakeside in the period after the split would never of qualified for it in a unified 32 man field let alone win in !!!
BOOM
Superleague Player

Post by BOOM »

devosteve wrote:94 Priestley v Part
95 Taylor v Burnett
96 Taylor v Beaton
97 Taylor v Wallace
98 Taylor v Barneveld
99 Taylor v Barneveld
00 Taylor v Hankey
01 Taylor v Walton
02 Taylor v David
03 Part v Barneveld
04 Taylor v Fordham
05 Taylor v Barneveld
06 Taylor v Klaasen
07 Barneveld v Adams
08 Part v Webster
09 Taylor v Hankey
10 Taylor v Adams
11 Lewis v Adams
12 Lewis v Kist
13 Taylor v Waites
14 Van Gerwen v Bunting
15 Anderson v Mitchell
16 Anderson v Waites
17 Van Gerwen v Durrant
18 Cross v Durrant

The original post from real fanatics. The poster reckoned on a head to head basis it would be 13-13.

obviously some folks on there just point scoring but like op on here interesting subject.
The only 2 of those I'd even consider giving the BDO is 03 and 08 with Part. None of them are beating Taylor for me and the recent ones (2011 onwards) are PDC easily
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: World Champions down the years: BDO v Taylor

Post by ifm »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:Firstly, this was my post on Real fanatics

Secondly, I miscounted and there's actually 25 not 26 potential matchups

Thirdly, I wasn't trolling and I'll tell you why

94 Priestley v Part - Priestley comfortably. Part won in a depleted BDO field and Dennis was class. 1-0
03 Part v Barneveld - Barney the better player at this time and should win. 3-7
04 Taylor v Fordham - Taylor won the H2H and was the better player. 4-7
05 Taylor v Barneveld - Think Taylor wins this as Barney remembers the h2h loss in 99. 5-7
06 Taylor v Klaasen - Taylor wins easily. Klaasen too eratic and scoring not strong enough. 6-7
07 Barneveld v Adams - Barney winning the best final ever and Adams finally winning the big one. Barney wins 7-7
08 Part v Webster - A strange PDC Worlds sees all the fancied players falter. Webster wins a close game. 7-8
09 Taylor v Hankey - Taylor. To nil. 8-8
10 Taylor v Adams - Taylor wins comfortably. 9-8
11 Lewis v Adams - Adams beat Lewis often in their exhibition tour. He does again in official competition. 9-9
12 Lewis v Kist - Lewis to win despite not being at his best. Kist possibly a flash in the pan? 10-9
13 Taylor v Waites - St. Scotty channels the spirit of his grand slam win to take Taylor all the way and pip him. 10-10
14 Van Gerwen v Bunting - Today's Van Gerwen beats 2014 Bunting. 2014 versions are very close. Bunting wins 10-11
15 Anderson v Mitchell - Mitchell beat Anderson on Talksport. Have to use this as evidence. 10-12
16 Anderson v Waites - Anderson wins very comfortably. 11-12
17 Van Gerwen v Durrant - Glen fights hard but can never get in front. Van Gerwen too strong 12-12
18 Cross v Durrant - Durrant's experience a key factor. Pinches a close one 12-13 to the BDO
QED

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

The problem is averages cannot be used after the eclipse was released so there is no barometer aside from exhibition play.

"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

ifm wrote:The problem is averages cannot be used after the eclipse was released so there is no barometer aside from exhibition play.

Yep. They don't write averages on trophies.
UKDA 4 Life
paolo2144
Steady Sixties

Post by paolo2144 »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:
ifm wrote:The problem is averages cannot be used after the eclipse was released so there is no barometer aside from exhibition play.

No they don't but what was clear to nearly every player, pundit and darts fan around back then and who were lucky enough to see both World championships is that between 98-02 taylor was playing at a different level to anyone else and if he had met hankey or John Boy he would almost certainly have destroyed them
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

paolo2144 wrote:
Moongoose McQueeen wrote:

No they don't but what was clear to nearly every player, pundit and darts fan around back then and who were lucky enough to see both World championships is that between 98-02 taylor was playing at a different level to anyone else and if he had met hankey or John Boy he would almost certainly have destroyed them
Thanks for highlighting the problem with this sort of question, "almost certainly" so he might have lost.

Madsocks
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

paolo2144 wrote: No they don't but what was clear to nearly every player, pundit and darts fan around back then and who were lucky enough to see both World championships is that between 98-02 taylor was playing at a different level to anyone else and if he had met hankey or John Boy he would almost certainly have destroyed them
We also have proof from in the period that the BDO winner would not have beaten Taylor as several of the Matchplay's and Grand Prix were played in Unified fields and not a single one was won by a BDO player.

Taylor won both te Matchplays in 2000 & 2001

And Warriner won the 2001 World Gran Prix
Minty26
Brass Darts

Post by Minty26 »

Think Burnett, Beaton, Barney and Part win for BDO in the 90's.
Field was arguably stronger at Lakeside until early 00's but Taylor still takes most,
Wolfie has a squeak v Adie too.
No way John Part is losing in 2003 he bet prime Taylor and was threatening to do it for a while.
2003 Part wins most years on that board for sure.
FoundSidInTheBar
Steady Sixties

Post by FoundSidInTheBar »

el_ringo wrote:
paolo2144 wrote: No they don't but what was clear to nearly every player, pundit and darts fan around back then and who were lucky enough to see both World championships is that between 98-02 taylor was playing at a different level to anyone else and if he had met hankey or John Boy he would almost certainly have destroyed them
We also have proof from in the period that the BDO winner would not have beaten Taylor as several of the Matchplay's and Grand Prix were played in Unified fields and not a single one was won by a BDO player.

Taylor won both te Matchplays in 2000 & 2001

And Warriner won the 2001 World Gran Prix
It's a good point, but not every BDO player entered.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Taylor still holds the record for a BDO final!
1990 - Phil Taylor 97.47
1992 - Phil Taylor 97.59

Fordham - 97.08..........2004 Taylor won the H2H, annihilated him at Masters of Darts
Barney - 96.78.............2005 Taylor was 6-1 vs Barney that year
Walton - 95.55............2001 Taylor was nearly at his very best vs Part (107.46)
Adams - 95.01............2010 Taylor with a finishing clinic in the final and a great tournament overall
Barney - 94.65.......... .1999 Taylor crushed him in the Champ vs Champ
Barney - 93.96...........1998 Taylor was +13AVE vs Priestley and flying
Burnett - 93.63..........1995 could have been close, Taylor won the Battle of the Champions but this was 2 years later...
David - 93.57............2002 Taylor was in fine form vs Manley 7-0, see nothing pointing in Davids direction
Wallace - 92.19.........1997 first time Taylor won with a 100AVE
Hankey - 92.40.........2000 Taylor again flying with 4x+100AVEs and Hankey not consistent enough, double problems
Hankey - 91.46.........2009 Taylor at his very best in a final
Klaasen - 90.42.........2006 Taylor crushed Manley with an AVE of 107
Beaton - 90.27.........1996 no way for Beaton
Waites - 86.43..........2013 please...

Taylor imo could have lost 2-3 finals.
But again - Taylor would not have reached all those finals!
Overall my guess is that Taylor would have won 10/11 titles in a unified field.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

People saying about the Adams beating Lewis at Lakeside should remember than on a 150 finish Lewis went 3 bulls...I don't think he'd do that in a title match...and they don't mention Lewis won at other venues.....that said ..it wouldn't be a nailed on Lewis win but I'd still expect Lewis at that time to win most of their meetings..
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

trotter wrote:People saying about the Adams beating Lewis at Lakeside should remember than on a 150 finish Lewis went 3 bulls...I don't think he'd do that in a title match...and they don't mention Lewis won at other venues.....that said ..it wouldn't be a nailed on Lewis win but I'd still expect Lewis at that time to win most of their meetings..
Not desperate at all lol

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: World Champions down the years: BDO v Taylor

Post by Ginge »

ifm wrote:
trotter wrote:People saying about the Adams beating Lewis at Lakeside should remember than on a 150 finish Lewis went 3 bulls...I don't think he'd do that in a title match...and they don't mention Lewis won at other venues.....that said ..it wouldn't be a nailed on Lewis win but I'd still expect Lewis at that time to win most of their meetings..
Not desperate at all lol

And yet the person using someone winning one leg on the radio as evidence isn't? ;)
Big Jock Knew
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

The Adams win over Lewis in an exhibition is one of the dullest lines of any of those from trolls on either side of the divide.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

markymark wrote:The Adams win over Lewis in an exhibition is one of the dullest lines of any of those from trolls on either side of the divide.
How about Mitchell beating Anderson in one leg on the radio? :D
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Sorry Mongoose but if this is what you genuinely believe it's no wonder Gaz calls you a mushro* m; Taylor would not have won as many titles as he did. No way of proving that but the evidence post 2005 tends to suggest that is the case. But some of your logic is beyond laughable and is based on your self admitted bias.