2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ssjsa
International

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by ssjsa »

As a Gary Anderson fan, tonight has been amazing.

On the champagne, and following draining the bottle, will be on the Becks big style.

Has been great this year with Gary winning the first 2 ranking Majors.

It is all the sweeter, when I remember Gary losing Major finals since switching from the BDO, especially the last leg defeats to Taylor in the Players Championship Finals and MVG in the European Championship Final.

Looking for Gary to now win the WGP, Grand Slam to leave the European Championships as the only ranking Major he would still need to win.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

Despite the absence of Phil The Power Taylor for the first time, and the world number one Michael van Gerwen after the first night, this has been the best darts tournament I can ever remember.

Always been my favourite on the circuit...
First round we saw Lewis-Wilson in a nervy 10-8 opener, MVG get well beaten by Jeffrey De Zwaan in a surprise but not a shock, Steve West score superbly but miss 11 match darts to lose 12-10 to lucky Gurner, Wade outlast Wattimena 12-10 in one of the strangest matches ever, and Huybrechts-Henderson in an all-time classic in a deciding leg - the first time this has happened at the Matchplay.
Last 16 we saw Lewis lose with a 104 average to an inspired Jeffrey, Chisnall come from 7-1 down to win 10/11 legs and beat Smith in an immense contest of scoring, Anderson come from 4-0 down to outlast Barney 11-9 and a 104 average, Wright turn up with a 105.6 average against Huybrechts, Wizard knock Wade out (delightful for me personally), Mensur fight off a White comeback 11-8, and the World Champion beaten despite a good display to the consistent Darren Webster.
1/4 finals we've seen Jeffrey & Chizzy produce fireworks, Anderson hit a 9-darter in the best game of the tournament in beating unlucky Joe Cullen in extra-time 19-17, and Snakebite display the finest finishing ever seen in a long-format darts match.
1/2 finals Jeffrey again played out of his skin but undone by a 106 average from Anderson.

And then this final, the longest ever in Matchplay history, spanning 23 years, as Anderson wins the title for the first time & becomes only the 8th different winner of the event.

Full credit to most of the 32-player field, especially those mentioned above. But especially to Mensur & Gary for a match played at the highest of levels from the first session all the way through with nothing but respect for each other.
MrLil8
Pub Champion

Post by MrLil8 »

WizardofozFan wrote:Despite the absence of Phil The Power Taylor for the first time, and the world number one Michael van Gerwen after the first night, this has been the best darts tournament I can ever remember.

First round we saw Lewis-Wilson in a nervy 10-8 opener, MVG get well beaten by Jeffrey De Zwaan in a surprise but not a shock, Steve West score superbly but miss 11 match darts to lose 12-10 to lucky Gurner, Wade outlast Wattimena 12-10 in one of the strangest matches ever, and Huybrechts-Henderson in an all-time classic in a deciding leg - the first time this has happened at the Matchplay.
Last 16 we saw Lewis lose with a 104 average to an inspired Jeffrey, Chisnall come from 7-1 down to win 10/11 legs and beat Smith in an immense contest of scoring, Anderson come from 4-0 down to outlast Barney 11-9 and a 104 average, Wright turn up with a 105.6 average against Huybrechts, Wizard knock Wade out (delightful for me personally), Mensur fight off a White comeback 11-8, and the World Champion beaten despite a good display to the consistent Darren Webster.
1/4 finals we've seen Jeffrey & Chizzy produce fireworks, Anderson hit a 9-darter in the best game of the tournament in beating unlucky Joe Cullen in extra-time 19-17, and Snakebite display the finest finishing ever seen in a long-format darts match.
1/2 finals Jeffrey again played out of his skin but undone by a 106 average from Anderson.

And then this final, the longest ever in Matchplay history, spanning 23 years, as Anderson wins the title for the first time & becomes only the 8th different winner of the event.

Full credit to most of the 32-player field, especially those mentioned above. But especially to Mensur & Gary for a match played at the highest of levels from the first session all the way through with nothing but respect for each other.
Excellent recap, when can we buy the DV Bloody D! :D
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

Brilliant match. Had to go to work so listened to the end on the radio, the commentary was really great.
Dreamboy501
Brass Darts

Post by Dreamboy501 »

What a final my friends!!!!

Gary deserved to win and seal his place forever in the history of Darts as he played better during this week but fair play and massive respect to Mensur for fighting until the very end.Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

MrLil8 wrote:
WizardofozFan wrote:Despite the absence of Phil The Power Taylor for the first time, and the world number one Michael van Gerwen after the first night, this has been the best darts tournament I can ever remember.

Excellent recap, when can we buy the DV Bloody D! :D
Haha, thanks! I struggled to fit it into that short a space to be honest! It was that entertaining a tournament.
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

The standard was never going to be around the 100 average every game, no tournament achieves that. The 1st & 2nd rounds had lots of great displays and tight tungsten tussles which had the crowd hooked. Besides apparent "littering of 70 and 80 averages" as posted elsewhere - there was just 1 in the 70s (Keegan Brown giving up basically) & 12x 80s - yes maybe a couple more than usual, but that still means there were 49 averages in the 90s & 100s, and there was the hottest summer since the tournament began in 1995 factored in.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Dreamboy501 wrote:What a final my friends!!!!

Gary deserved to win and seal his place forever in the history of Darts as he played better during this week but fair play and massive respect to Mensur for fighting until the very end.Image

Great final. Atmosphere at Blackpool fantastic, but wait until you come over for the PL at the Hydro next year. You will never experience an environment at the any darts event like you will in Glasgow.

Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Listened to it on talksport2. No Taylor on there you see
UKDA 4 Life
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Tungsten Tales interview with Suljovic.

gm180
Pub Champion

Post by gm180 »

What a great final shame there had to be a loser, full respect to Mensur, i've always said he plays better when he plays a bit quicker
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ah that could be done better.
He played a blinder mind.
Dreamboy501
Brass Darts

Re: RE: Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by Dreamboy501 »

ssjsa wrote:
Dreamboy501 wrote:What a final my friends!!!!

Great final. Atmosphere at Blackpool fantastic, but wait until you come over for the PL at the Hydro next year. You will never experience an environment at the any darts event like you will in Glasgow.
Bring it on ssjsa....

Am waiting for the dates to come out actually....

It will be a blast I'm sure...

Hirsti
Steady Sixties

Post by Hirsti »

Hirsti wrote:Anybody got any bets on so far for the matchplay? I usually have a flutter on G Anderson and someone i think will be a good ew bet to make the final but so far aint placed a bet

Will probs do some accas and correct scores for the opening round

Sods law that i didnt back him this tourney
thecat
Steady Sixties

Post by thecat »

On the PDC Write up last night and on BBC sport this morning they’re saying he’s completed the triple crown? Is that WC, premier league and Matchplay? :/ surely any Darts triple crown would be the world events. WC, Matchplay and Grandprix
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

WizardofozFan wrote:
Black Velvet wrote:Mensur’s tactics only getting him so far
Pathetic comment, be ashamed of yourself, unless this is meant to be a joke of course.
Oh my.
robot
Superleague Player

Post by robot »

Just musing how good was Mensurs scoring last night. Doubling was nothing great but to average over 104 in spite of that over 40 legs in the biggest match of his life is so impressive
2010 TSOD Grand Slam of Darts Prediction Competition - Overall Winner
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

If Mensur concentrated on his darts instead of his tactics he could have pissed this.......
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Correct.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

GARY ANDERSON believes his magnificent victory at the BetVictor World Matchplay ranks among his greatest achievements in darts.

The two-time World Champion claimed his first Blackpool win at the tenth attempt on Sunday night, defeating Mensur Suljovic 21-19 in one of the most incredible matches ever seen on the famous Winter Gardens stage.

Reflecting on his achievements of the last nine days, which included a sensational nine-dart finish against Joe Cullen in the quarter-finals, Anderson was proud to lift the Phil Taylor Trophy in the face of such strong competition.

"Winning this tournament at my age means a lot to me with the talent we've got coming through," said Anderson, who saw off rising Dutch star Jeffrey de Zwaan in the semi-finals.

"We've seen Jeffrey break through this week, he's gone from a boy to a man and I think he is going to have a brilliant career.

"He was fantastic, my player of the week, so it just shows you the standard we're up against these days, but the final way between Mensur and myself which shows the old boys can still do it!

"It's been an incredible week, I've loved playing up there and, of course, it's always nice to hit a nine-darter."

Before this week, the Blackpool event hadn't been a happy hunting ground for Anderson, whose best performances came in 2014 and 2016 when he made the semi-finals on both occasions.

However, after a long drive up from Somerset, Anderson made the trip worthwhile with wins over Stephen Bunting, Raymond van Barneveld, Cullen, De Zwaan and Suljovic.

Me and Mensur are two old boys who just wanted a lie down!

"It took me 11 hours to get up here and I'm shattered after this week and such a long final," Anderson added.

"Me and Mensur are two old boys who just wanted a lie down and put our feet up after that game!

"We're used to playing first to six legs so when you get up there and play 40 legs it is a bit of a culture shock.

"This is a special place for me now and I'll look forward to coming back here next year to defend my title.

"It's also been nice to see Phil back in Blackpool this week and the crowd have been fantastic."

Anderson will now jet off to Auckland for the start of three World Series events Down Under, with events in Melbourne and Brisbane to follow.

"I'm not looking forward to the plane journey!" Anderson laughed.

"But I am looking forward to visiting and playing in Auckland, Melbourne and Brisbane - especially Brisbane because we've never been there before and it will be good to play in a new city and spread the game."