Durrant Parts With Mac

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Re: Durrant Parts With Mac

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Si Robin wrote:I listened to his interview on the Weekly Dartscast the week after he won Lakeside and he made a point that he’s got 30 years of pension behind him at work, is not the youngest guy, and confirmed it’s a massive risk to go full-time pro.

I don’t, for a second, understand how pensions work (mines all sorted for me) but if that’s at risk when potentially switching because he’d have to give his job up to put the time to practicing, then you can see his point. He’s not in his early 20s. If he fails in the PDC (and I don’t think he would), then what does he go back to. His job will likely be taken.

It’s easy to say he’ll make a mint, but he may have had a shocking 4 days at Q-school, just got a tour card and then lose form altogether. Look at Stephen Bunting’s second year.

I wanted Glen to go over, to show he could mix it with the big boys on a regular basis, but I can fully understand why he hasn't, and it's not as simple as just bottling it in my view.
If he quit his job he would defer his pension which means he would not be able to take it until he’s 65.

He could of course take it out of his current pension by getting a financial expert to request a transfer value and reinvest it, you would think someone who has earnt 150k on top of his yearly earnings would have a financial advisor.

I think his main issue is he knows he on for an easy winner for the next 3 or 4 years, unless someone comes out of nowhere he can do exhibitions and chill out until September, do masters, grand slam, finders and the bdo worlds and if he gets to the semis at least he can rinse and repeat until he either gets bored or is happy with the money he has earnt.
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

Si Robin wrote:I listened to his interview on the Weekly Dartscast the week after he won Lakeside and he made a point that he’s got 30 years of pension behind him at work, is not the youngest guy, and confirmed it’s a massive risk to go full-time pro.

I don’t, for a second, understand how pensions work (mines all sorted for me) but if that’s at risk when potentially switching because he’d have to give his job up to put the time to practicing, then you can see his point. He’s not in his early 20s. If he fails in the PDC (and I don’t think he would), then what does he go back to. His job will likely be taken.

It’s easy to say he’ll make a mint, but he may have had a shocking 4 days at Q-school, just got a tour card and then lose form altogether. Look at Stephen Bunting’s second year.

I wanted Glen to go over, to show he could mix it with the big boys on a regular basis, but I can fully understand why he hasn't, and it's not as simple as just bottling it in my view.

Nobody can take away the pension he has accrued,
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

With most pro-tour events being on a weekend, and most Lakeside point accruing events (and I know he has exemption, but still) being on weekends, are we saying he couldn't work, do what he does now practice wise, and still not earn decent money on the PT AND stay in a full-time job, as, we're told, many PDC "pros" do anyway?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

markymark wrote:With most pro-tour events being on a weekend, and most Lakeside point accruing events (and I know he has exemption, but still) being on weekends, are we saying he couldn't work, do what he does now practice wise, and still not earn decent money on the PT AND stay in a full-time job, as, we're told, many PDC "pros" do anyway?
he could have done , no problem at all. The issue for him, and others (like Scot Mitchell) is that they felt that in order to give the PDC full justice and to give themselves the best chance of competing was to go Full Time and practice more. They both have said this. I think it fair enough for dart players of their experience and standing.
For others starting out then trying to get on the Pro Tour and see how you get on before giving up your job and committing full time seems the right approach.
Horses for Courses I suppose.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

ifm wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Not a hope in hell of this happening.
A bit like not a hope in hell of that Rob Cross fella winning?
Rob Cross is a much better player than Glen. Rob is getting used to playing with the big boys every week, beating them as well, not County Superior Men's and people at a holiday camp for a weekend on the piss. Not at any point have I ever been anything other than complimentary about Cross. After seeing him play at Hayling the other year, I knew he would be a top star in the PDC. Just the speed of how he has done it is what has been remarkable.
I stopped reading after that
You didn't miss anything.
Didn't think so, there is an old saying of "your name is on the trophy" that describes a year when everything went your way, this was Cross' year. The 7-2 drubbing he had in the PL is a reminder that this is a new year.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

markymark wrote:With most pro-tour events being on a weekend, and most Lakeside point accruing events (and I know he has exemption, but still) being on weekends, are we saying he couldn't work, do what he does now practice wise, and still not earn decent money on the PT AND stay in a full-time job, as, we're told, many PDC "pros" do anyway?
We're not saying anything! He's saying that to be at the top end of the PDC he will need to go full time, and if he's not committed to doing that, why bother switching?
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Addicks Fan wrote:
We're not saying anything! He's saying that to be at the top end of the PDC he will need to go full time, and if he's not committed to doing that, why bother switching?
Precisely, he has said multiple times he doesn't feel he would be on a level playing field working for a living and he's probably right, add to that how soon q school is after Lakeside and it makes sense, all this crap about he'll win lakeside every year is just stupid.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Astonvilla wrote:

Yes you can.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

ChrisW wrote:
Astonvilla wrote:

Yes you can.
Mr Maxwell is that you?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

I'm a big supporter of Durrant but I don't think there's any doubt that Rob Cross is the better player...or certainly has been over the past 12 months....Durrant is way ahead of the current BDO lot but is not at the level that Bunting was achieving prior to his switch...winning the Winmau without dropping one set is an amazing achievement...so the BDO field at the top elite is constantly weakening..the new players are not at the level.of the players constantly leaving so you'd have to heavily back Durrant to win more Lakesides....but obviously it's not nailed on
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

ifm wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:
Precisely, he has said multiple times he doesn't feel he would be on a level playing field working for a living and he's probably right, add to that how soon q school is after Lakeside and it makes sense, all this crap about he'll win lakeside every year is just stupid.
Not every year but hes immediately favorite for next year, look at the top 16 currently on the BDO rankings (bar Duzza obviously)

Men's Invitational Table at 30/01/2018
Mark McGeeney (England)
Scott Mitchell (England)
Ross Montgomery (Scotland)
Jim Williams (Wales)
Willem Mandigers (Netherlands)
Martin Phillips (Wales)
Richard Veenstra (Netherlands)
Scott Waites (England)
James Hurrell (England)
Wesley Harms (Netherlands)
Andy Baetens (Belgium)
Dean Reynolds (Wales)
Geert de Vos (Belgium)
Kyle McKinstry (Northern Ireland)
Conan Whitehead (England)

Im not taking any of them to beat him over 7,8,9,11 or 13 sets.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

MVG is head and shoulders above every other player in the PDC, nobody is anywhere near his standard yet he doesn't win it every year does he?
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

ifm wrote:MVG is head and shoulders above every other player in the PDC, nobody is anywhere near his standard yet he doesn't win it every year does he?
No he is not.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Yes he is
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

No he isnt.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Ginge he is. Look at his dominance ffs
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

oche balboa wrote:Yes he is
Of course he is not head and shoulders above the rest. He would win every tournament if he was.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Durrant Parts With Mac

Post by Ginge »

Booji Boy wrote:
Of course he is not head and shoulders above the rest. He would win every tournament if he was.
Indeed. Better, yes. Head and shoulders, no.
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Booji Boy wrote:
So Glen does then?
I think you just defeated your own argument.

Madsocks
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

ifm wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:
So Glen does then?
I think you just defeated your own argument.
Eh?

I am not talking about Glen, I am taking you to task on your mvg comment.