Total votes: 34

Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Re: 45th Winmau World Masters 3-7 October 2018

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

devosteve wrote:
Ginge wrote:
devosteve wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:I thought the preston deal was for all tournaments not just the WDT?
Surely they were not thinking of having wdt, winmau and the world's at Preston? That doesn't make sense.
This is the same organisation that held the 2016 running of all those events at the same venue you are talking about here...
Yes but that was lakeside (the venue in may players/fans eyes). Can't see them having all 3 at the guild hall. Who would go to all 3 events?
The family?

It does kinda make sense to organise all 3 at the same place, gives you a home and it also means you can get a better rate if your showing that you want to use the venue for a good number of days And want to repeat that for a number of years.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

WCDPA wrote:
Zeyes wrote:Doubt the liquidators will be wearing white.
Unless we lost 500K+ since AGM I wouldn't expect to see liquidators
You're in the fanboy fantasy universe right now, everything is made up.
It's all a gamble LOL
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

devosteve wrote:
Ginge wrote:This is the same organisation that held the 2016 running of all those events at the same venue you are talking about here...
Yes but that was lakeside (the venue in may players/fans eyes). Can't see them having all 3 at the guild hall. Who would go to all 3 events?
Based on the last few years of attempting to stage events away from the Lakeside, the more pertinent question is: Who would go to any of them?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
devosteve wrote:
Ginge wrote:
devosteve wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:I thought the preston deal was for all tournaments not just the WDT?
Surely they were not thinking of having wdt, winmau and the world's at Preston? That doesn't make sense.
This is the same organisation that held the 2016 running of all those events at the same venue you are talking about here...
The family?

It does kinda make sense to organise all 3 at the same place, gives you a home and it also means you can get a better rate if your showing that you want to use the venue for a good number of days And want to repeat that for a number of years.

The wider implications of moving the Worlds from Lakeside to anywhere else are so massive and fundamentally bad that it would completely outweigh any benefits from holding three events in one venue (that isn't Lakeside) . In my view moving from Lakeside could potentially kill off the event as a significant Darts event on TV. They woudl lose Ch4 in a heartbeat woudl be my guess. And which is also why Ch4 will not/have not sign up again until it is 100% confirmed as being back at Lakeside - Which, i think for 2019/2020 is a 90 % certainty. I can imagine much changing on that front for a few years yet.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

A TSOD exclusive there folks, C4 will only renew the contract if the World Professional Darts Championships are at Lakeside. :-)
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: 45th Winmau World Masters 3-7 October 2018

Post by Ginge »

ifm wrote:A TSOD exclusive there folks, C4 will only renew the contract if the World Professional Darts Championships are at Lakeside. :-)
Ignoring if that statement is accurate or not; do you not think the venue in this instance adds an interest to a broadcaster?
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:
ifm wrote:A TSOD exclusive there folks, C4 will only renew the contract if the World Professional Darts Championships are at Lakeside. :-)
Ignoring if that statement is accurate or not; do you not think the venue in this instance adds an interest to a broadcaster?
I don't see what difference the venue makes to a broadcaster outside of logistics, i actually think all comps should be more central purely because they will get better patronage.

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 45th Winmau World Masters 3-7 October 2018

Post by Ginge »

ifm wrote:
Ginge wrote:
I don't see what difference the venue makes to a broadcaster outside of logistics, i actually think all comps should be more central purely because they will get better patronage.
So you don't think a broadcaster would be more interested in holding an event at the self proclaimed "Home of World Darts" rather than, let's say, a random cinema/community arts centre in South Wales?

Interesting. I'll respectfully disagree with you.
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:
ifm wrote:
Ginge wrote:
So you don't think a broadcaster would be more interested in holding an event at the self proclaimed "Home of World Darts" rather than, let's say, a random cinema/community arts centre in South Wales?

I'd say the broadcaster is more interested in how far they need to move their equipment, is there sufficient power, is the internet good etc. than the name on the door.

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I would say those are also considerations but there will be more lure for a broadcaster to want to show a darts event from Lakeside than the Memo Arts Centre. But we don't agree, that's fine, we shall leave it there.
Big Jock Knew
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

The Lakeside name is the main thing that the BDO still have ...sure other venues may be newer and actually better...but they are not Lakeside...Lakeside still draws people there because of what it is and it's history...and it's promoted by that single name now......moving from Lakeside would be a big risk regardless of what anybody says
Last edited by trotter on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 45th Winmau World Masters 3-7 October 2018

Post by Skewball »

ifm wrote:
Ginge wrote:
ifm wrote:
Ginge wrote:

I'd say the broadcaster is more interested in how far they need to move their equipment, is there sufficient power, is the internet good etc. than the name on the door.
That is actually funny. CH4 dont care where there sporting event is held as the drive up the m1 isn't too far and the wiring is decent. You heard it here folks :)
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Lakeside is definitely good for broadcasters content wise. They have an immediate talking point. The place and carpets are steeped in history.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

trotter wrote:The Lakeside name is the main thing that the BDO still have ...sure other venues may be newer and actually better...but they are not Lakeside...Lakeside still draws people there because of what it is and it's history...and it's promoted by that single name now......moving from Lakeside would be a big risk regardless of what anybody says
I agree but we are talking specifically about a broadcasters preference, nothing else at all.

Madsocks
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ifm wrote:
trotter wrote:The Lakeside name is the main thing that the BDO still have ...sure other venues may be newer and actually better...but they are not Lakeside...Lakeside still draws people there because of what it is and it's history...and it's promoted by that single name now......moving from Lakeside would be a big risk regardless of what anybody says
I agree but we are talking specifically about a broadcasters preference, nothing else at all.
And you believe the broadcaster doesn't give a shit about the history or how it looks on TV. Just the internet connection.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Skewball wrote:
ifm wrote:
And you believe the broadcaster doesn't give a shit about the history or how it looks on TV. Just the internet connection.
Do you think the pdc and sky gave a shit about the venue when they moved to ally pally?

Madsocks
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ifm wrote:
Skewball wrote:
ifm wrote:
Do you think the pdc and sky gave a shit about the venue when they moved to ally pally?
Yes.
billyd
Pub Champion

Post by billyd »

ifm wrote:
Skewball wrote:
ifm wrote:
Um yes as it was being held at the circus tavern before and is an absolute dive. The ally pally is a massive step up believe it or not
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Skewball wrote:
ifm wrote:
Skewball wrote:
ifm wrote:
Yes.
Rightfully so, it's been a complete disaster.

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

billyd wrote:
ifm wrote:
Skewball wrote:
ifm wrote:
Um yes as it was being held at the circus tavern before and is an absolute dive. The ally pally is a massive step up believe it or not
Now you are contradicting the "team" :grin:

Madsocks