The Debate- The rights or wrongs of UK Open taking place

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: 2018 Coral UK Open

Post by Ginge »

DavidB wrote:
Murphio wrote:If fans are turned away and Butlins don't back down this could have serious reprecussions for the future location of two PDC majors. Just my opinion. Absolute disgrace of Butlins trying to pull the plug at this late stage.

Hardly a disgrace from Butlins, safety is paramount and what about people going from the venue to their accommodation at night time??

Don't you think the PDC should have done the sensible thing and postponed the event as they did last night??
Should have called it off from a fans perspective last night, dont see the harm in letting the players battle it out in an empty room though as rescheduling it all would never happen. Will be a rather bizarre watch.
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote:
DavidB wrote:
Murphio wrote:If fans are turned away and Butlins don't back down this could have serious reprecussions for the future location of two PDC majors. Just my opinion. Absolute disgrace of Butlins trying to pull the plug at this late stage.

Hardly a disgrace from Butlins, safety is paramount and what about people going from the venue to their accommodation at night time??

Don't you think the PDC should have done the sensible thing and postponed the event as they did last night??
Should have called it off from a fans perspective last night, dont see the harm in letting the players battle it out in an empty room though as rescheduling it all would never happen. Will be a rather bizarre watch.

But surely if it's not safe for the public it's also not safe for the performers and all the staff??
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

The bubble is bursting.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Skewball wrote:
robot wrote:crazy situation if they dont let those already in resort watch, having travelled there from goodness knows where,
Insurance, pure and simple. Butlins have made a decision across both their 'big weekend' events.
People can jump up and down all they like about it being a 'farce' but what would you do in teh same situation?
Whole event should be cancelled, if it's unsafe for guests then it must be for players and staff.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

ifm wrote:
Skewball wrote:
robot wrote:crazy situation if they dont let those already in resort watch, having travelled there from goodness knows where,
Insurance, pure and simple. Butlins have made a decision across both their 'big weekend' events.
People can jump up and down all they like about it being a 'farce' but what would you do in teh same situation?
Whole event should be cancelled, if it's unsafe for guests then it must be for players and staff.

Indeed
Chambord
The Ton Club

Post by Chambord »

Name cannot be blank
‏ @andymthatcher
3m3 minutes ago
Replying to @Butlins

Were already here. In the room. Are you going to lob us out or can we watch this behind closed doors event?
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

DavidB wrote:

You mean to tell me they couldnt have made the call yesterday before people travelled? How many are currently on the road? A complete farce from the venue ti pull the plug a few hours before it starts.
robot
Superleague Player

Post by robot »

Skewball wrote:
I can understand it if they said they were not letting any more punters in through the main gates to deter travelling, but for those already in, is the risk of people falling on their anus such an issue. Are all bars and facilities on resort closed I wonder?
2010 TSOD Grand Slam of Darts Prediction Competition - Overall Winner
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Chambord wrote:Wayne Mardle Retweeted
Jon Sim
‏ @shortbred28
11m11 minutes ago
Replying to @Wayne501Mardle

I’ve just got off the phone to butlins, fans will be offered a full refund or transfer it to November or next years UK Open
Great, tickets will be harder to come by next year.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Black Velvet wrote:Looks like this might not go ahead...
Called it yesterday.

Did Caven qualify? He's got a chance now...
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The solution is simple. Get everyone there already to sign a insurance waiver should they fall on snow/ice, and let them watch the event.
Last edited by Ginge on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Most staff live on site or locally.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Murphio wrote:
DavidB wrote:

You mean to tell me they couldnt have made the call yesterday before people travelled? How many are currently on the road? A complete farce from the venue ti pull the plug a few hours before it starts.

How many of the 4,500 were already on the way to Exeter when it was called off last night??

I agree it should have been cancelled last night but they obviously tried their best to get it on.
Booji Boy
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Coral UK Open

Post by Booji Boy »

ifm wrote:Dear lord it gets even more farcical.
Who is responsible for this farce?

robot
Superleague Player

Post by robot »

Murphio wrote:
DavidB wrote:

Agreed - it was pretty clear yesterday morning that weather conditions were gonna be bad.
2010 TSOD Grand Slam of Darts Prediction Competition - Overall Winner
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

Silly all this just call while event off anyway by Sunday weather might be better they should sell day tickets to the event if it improved for the later stages

It will look weird playing in that big empty hall do think they play last 8 down in reds bar it would look better on tv than empty main room
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

To be clear; Butlins wanted to pull tbe plug on the whole thing. But they relented after the PDC and ITV went ape. Neither see the justification in this decision. From someone who knows.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

foggs3355 wrote:Silly all this just call while event off anyway by Sunday weather might be better they should sell day tickets to the event if it improved for the later stages

It will look weird playing in that big empty hall do think they play last 8 down in reds bar it would look better on tv than empty main room
Its no different to a football match being shown on TV behind closed doors, dont see the issue (but yes it will look odd)
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

foggs3355 wrote:Silly all this just call while event off anyway by Sunday weather might be better they should sell day tickets to the event if it improved for the later stages

Good shout but I can't see that happening.
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Coral UK Open

Post by ifm »

Booji Boy wrote:
ifm wrote:Dear lord it gets even more farcical.
Who is responsible for this farce?

Who knows, lack of communication between butlins and PDC but ultimately Butlins decides if it goes ahead.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks