The 5th BDO World Darts Trophy 30 May - 3 June 2018 Preston - Discussion

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
trotter
International

Re: The 5th BDO World Darts Trophy 30 May - 3 June 2018 Preston - Discussion

Post by trotter »

WCDPA wrote:
The Knowledge wrote:Paul James
Well I know Des organised leaflet drops , posters in shopping arcades etc , even got some milkmen delivering flyers with the pints, now aiming at local press, local tv and newspapers !
Just as well he is because nobody else seems bothered , but we all have our part to play , if any pub team in the locality could get 1 or 2 people to attend would fill the place , sites like this can also play a part !
Problem with big media outlets is expense .
But simple things within our control like schedules etc should be done in plenty of time .

:DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
As opposed to early days of PDC at Blackpool where comps handed to B&B's all around the venue and comps given out alongside the prom .
It's not a Delux style bullshit announcement , Des has done well with their Turkey Open trip , I applaud him for trying something , I have already said to the board the first couple of days need heavy comping whether they do this remains to be seen
The early days of the PDC ..the BDO held all the aces ..they had all the players bar the top few who split..all the events..all the TV at that time...they had all the power...all the contacts..of course the PDC had to do all that...they did it for the first Premier League final as well in Manchester....the BDO held the power really and it's criminal how they let that slip and got into the position they are today...
Having said that at least Des is trying something which is good...it all seems too little to too late though ...things should have been done years ago when they still had a half decent base
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I dunno why he is bothering, the sponsor of the event will be covering most of the outlay anyway....
Big Jock Knew
Dazzla501
Steady Sixties

Post by Dazzla501 »

Ginge wrote:I dunno why he is bothering, the sponsor of the event will be covering most of the outlay anyway....
Maybe it’s Dairy Crest
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

Sports fans in any sport generally like to see the best of the best and the proven best of the best compete. The BDO isn't providing that as they only get on TV 3 times a year. Add to that over the last decade or more the best of the best in the BDO have gone to the PDC. Any dart fan can see that and see it in PDC events as they are on TV way more frequently. Add to that, the womens side of things, which no one wants to watch, isn't enticing to the darts fans that want to sit down for a few hours of quality darts on a weekend and actually see quality darts isn't getting that in the few BDO events that are broadcast.

Face the facts PDC has the players, the system, and the fans to make something worth watching. The BDO has a lot less to offer, if anything.
Proud member of dart forums....
Scuppering darting business deals since 2015
Proud recipient of the first entry on Fartoids Bullshit-o-meter. Total entries: 7 and counting.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

cannibal wrote:Sports fans in any sport generally like to see the best of the best and the proven best of the best compete. The BDO isn't providing that as they only get on TV 3 times a year. Add to that over the last decade or more the best of the best in the BDO have gone to the PDC. Any dart fan can see that and see it in PDC events as they are on TV way more frequently. Add to that, the womens side of things, which no one wants to watch, isn't enticing to the darts fans that want to sit down for a few hours of quality darts on a weekend and actually see quality darts isn't getting that in the few BDO events that are broadcast.

Face the facts PDC has the players, the system, and the fans to make something worth watching. The BDO has a lot less to offer, if anything.

Brilliant post.

And all that is the exact reason that the BDO should concentrate on the grass roots (Superleague, County and the Open comps)
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

No one wants to see the World Number 1, the Swedish open or the French open champions?
Can't even spell the players names right on the poster ffs.
Can't wait for the hilarity to commence.
The Knowledge
The Ton Club

Post by The Knowledge »

The Knowledge wrote:xxxxx

Last edited by nikkiboy on Mon May 07, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post content apparently changed for effect and therefore reported.
:DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
You can all have my word now, it's never been our intention to take over the BDO, we have no intention of taking over the BDO,
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Re TV coverage.

at this moment in time I have to say getting TV coverage is no great achievement.

Why?

Well, tune into sky 424 for the live pool.

I have, what I call paupers TV, so no major sports channels. Did like watching pool on sky. Surfing the channels this afternoon and saw pool on free sports.

Just started watching it. Forum : there is about 1 person watching it in this pub. Guys sat at bar not even looking over. If this can get televised then to get the wdt televised on a similar platform is nothing to boost about!
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Lee Taylor wrote:
cannibal wrote:Sports fans in any sport generally like to see the best of the best and the proven best of the best compete. The BDO isn't providing that as they only get on TV 3 times a year. Add to that over the last decade or more the best of the best in the BDO have gone to the PDC. Any dart fan can see that and see it in PDC events as they are on TV way more frequently. Add to that, the womens side of things, which no one wants to watch, isn't enticing to the darts fans that want to sit down for a few hours of quality darts on a weekend and actually see quality darts isn't getting that in the few BDO events that are broadcast.

Brilliant post.

And all that is the exact reason that the BDO should concentrate on the grass roots (Superleague, County and the Open comps)
And if marketed correctly and maybe format changes etc and working alongside the PDC the County game could have a lot more media coverage imo
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

devosteve wrote:Re TV coverage.

at this moment in time I have to say getting TV coverage is no great achievement.

Why?

Well, tune into sky 424 for the live pool.

I have, what I call paupers TV, so no major sports channels. Did like watching pool on sky. Surfing the channels this afternoon and saw pool on free sports.

Just started watching it. Forum : there is about 1 person watching it in this pub. Guys sat at bar not even looking over. If this can get televised then to get the wdt televised on a similar platform is nothing to boost about!
Highest rated programmes on Freesports have been around the 30-40k mark. May as well not bother.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

The Jolly Man wrote:
Lee Taylor wrote:

Brilliant post.

And if marketed correctly and maybe format changes etc and working alongside the PDC the County game could have a lot more media coverage imo
I know they won’t (certainly under it’s current guidance) but if the PDC and BDO worked together, the County scene COULD be great for both parties.

County darts could be THE natural progression from pub darts to the big time - Pub, Superleague, County (gaining experience on a stage with proper markers etc) and then onto the PDC comps.

Rightly or wrongly, for kids coming through now, it all seems to be about winning money at Comps - playing County for ‘the pride of playing’ seems to be a thing of the past?

I guess when I played, County and BDO comps was all there was, so it meant far more to us.

Representing your County at anything SHOULD be a great honour?
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

Lee Taylor wrote:Rightly or wrongly, for kids coming through now, it all seems to be about winning money at Comps - playing County for ‘the pride of playing’ seems to be a thing of the past?

I guess when I played, County and BDO comps was all there was, so it meant far more to us.

I'm sure it still is to many, but it's easy to see why many would want to turn their ability into cold hard cash rather than spend money with no possible recompense.

County may lead to internationals, but if no-one can see them, as they're aren't on TV, it may still be a proud moment for you and your family, but who else cares?
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

markymark wrote:
Lee Taylor wrote:Rightly or wrongly, for kids coming through now, it all seems to be about winning money at Comps - playing County for ‘the pride of playing’ seems to be a thing of the past?

I'm sure it still is to many, but it's easy to see why many would want to turn their ability into cold hard cash rather than spend money with no possible recompense.

County may lead to internationals, but if no-one can see them, as they're aren't on TV, it may still be a proud moment for you and your family, but who else cares?
Internationals have as good if not better coverage than the pro tour
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Really Paul?
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: The 5th BDO World Darts Trophy 30 May - 3 June 2018 Preston - Discussion

Post by Ginge »

WCDPA wrote:
markymark wrote:

Internationals have as good if not better coverage than the pro tour
Oh, you! :D
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Dannyboy offended there
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I would do a ticket sale count but they have started blocking off huge areas of tables already for all sessions, even on the front row. Embarassing scenes.

Maybe they are giving those tickets away, if Ian was here he will be claiming they have sold them :D

More than likely the "black curtain of doom" will be getting used....
Big Jock Knew
The Knowledge
The Ton Club

Post by The Knowledge »

Ginge wrote:I would do a ticket sale count but they have started blocking off huge areas of tables already for all sessions, even on the front row. Embarassing scenes.

Maybe they are giving those tickets away, if Ian was here he will be claiming they have sold them :D

Seeing all the women dart players on the poster will put people off buying tickets. While ever the BDO carry on promoting women the men's game will suffer.
You can all have my word now, it's never been our intention to take over the BDO, we have no intention of taking over the BDO,
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Ginge wrote:I dunno why he is bothering, the sponsor of the event will be covering most of the outlay anyway....
Credits with the counties

However it's all futile unless the other two majors can be sorted.
The Knowledge
The Ton Club

Post by The Knowledge »

Ginge wrote:
Across the front of the stage hopefully.