RIP Eric Bristow

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Demonloy
The Ton Club

Re: RIP Eric Bristow

Post by Demonloy »

Saddened to hear of the death of Eric Bristow probably the biggest character in darts to date.

I played him once and lost narrowly. It was about 8 years ago, I walked into a Betfred in Blackpool and he was doing a promotional thing where any punter who was willing to play him got a free bet. He was miles past his best and you could see it pained him not to be able to play at his best but he was a good sport.

Ian, your point about smoking causes cancer being a lie while being literally correct (correct term may be smoking can cause cancer) is nitpicking in the extreme about a very important health message
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Dannyboy wrote:
ifm wrote:
Duterprat wrote:there may be no tests or warnings, but the risk factors heavy drinking and smoking, morbid obesity are well known for ages and the average darts player of that age does usually tick all 3 boxes.

My days of all these three were over in my mid twenties when i had my first "incident" (no heart attack but defunct valves) - did not prevent several minor as well as open heart surgeries up to now, but who knows if I had been able to recover without changing my lifesryle.

On topic: RIP great man, could usually barely understand him as non-native speaker, still a shame/disgrace they kicked him from Sky for some PC bullshit. Too bad that there was no darts on german TV in his heydays, and ofc no streams back in the day... but even the old youube caps give you a feeling how dominanr he was in his prime.
These are all stated as "contributing factors", in other words none cause it but as we have no actual idea we shall point fingers at them, it's similar with cancer, the "smoking causes cancer" logo they put on fag packets was a lie because there are plenty of smokers without cancer.
It all muddies the water and this is part of the problem, as there is no definite warning symptom and obviously no cure then there needs to be a test, failing that better education as to what the signals are.
My consultant told me to stop smoking, not because they cause the problem but because they inhibit the drugs he prescribed for me.
I'm not trying to argue here btw, it s genuinely an issue, i really thought you were having a heart attack when you had chest pain or your left arm ached and though that might be true it's certainly not limited to that, i delayed calling the ambulance because i had no idea i was having a heart attack, my symptoms were not the "classical" ones.
These are all important points.
I hope as a legacy there is some sort of campaign to improve the health and fitness of dart players.

Cadby for example shouldn’t be the size he is at his age.
Slightly different to what my consultant told me, he said in his experience that smoking was the no1 contributor to heart and arterial problems and people with heart problems are stupid to carry on smoking unless they are happy to cut their life short.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Addicks Fan wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:Great tribute just posted on the BDO fb page.

Yeah, love the joy on his face after the winning dart - he was the only reason I watched darts when I was a kid, and quite often it was in the hope that someone would beat the cocky sod! But more often than not he was far too good, and for me the most important darts player in history, and among the very best.

Twitter makes fools of many people, and he was definitely one of them, but I never read, listened or watched him for words of wisdom, I only cared about what he did in his sporting arena, and for me he made a simple game compelling viewing.

RIP Eric
Nicely put...... :DDDD:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
BOOM
Superleague Player

Post by BOOM »

foggy
Superleague Player

Post by foggy »

Dannyboy wrote:
Cadby for example shouldn’t be the size he is at his age.
Come on thats nothing to do with him playing darts.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Was gutted to hear this news. My friend was buried on Friday: 45 years old and died of a massive heart attack. RIP Eric.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Nice of olly to pay a visit from the other side.Image

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Canuck_bully
The Ton Club

Post by Canuck_bully »

Booji Boy wrote:Nice of olly to pay a visit from the other side.Image

Olly Croft is dead?
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Canuck_bully wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:Nice of olly to pay a visit from the other side.Image

Olly Croft is dead?
No you plum, read it again lol
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Apparently he wrote in his diary on the day he died that he had chest pains and felt his chest was going to explode

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... entry.html
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

Does make you wonder, I am the wrong side of 45 now and have started doing a bit of running, cutting out the booze mid week, watching all to be around longer for my kids (I’m an ‘older dad’ of two young boys) but part of me genuinely believes ‘when it’s your time, it’s your time’ and maybe Eric had the right idea!
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

The Grand slam trophy been named after the great man.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

BlueSpark wrote:The Grand slam trophy been named after the great man.
Waddell who never played darts gets the premier trophy., the worlds.
The most successful player in history gets the second most prestigious
and the greatest superstar ever in darts gets a mickey mouse cup from an event cluttered with bdo jobber and until recently was nothing but an unranked exbo with invites.

Would have been more fitting to name a proper major after him like the Grand Prix or the UK Open
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Garry Murphy wrote:
Waddell who never played darts gets the premier trophy., the worlds.
The most successful player in history gets the second most prestigious
and the greatest superstar ever in darts gets a mickey mouse cup from an event cluttered with bdo jobber and until recently was nothing but an unranked exbo with invites.

Would have been more fitting to name a proper major after him like the Grand Prix or the UK Open
Thankfully your sentiments are not shared by the majority of the forum. The GSOD is a unique tournament, in that both the format, and the inclusion of the BDO players differentiates this event from the rest of the PDC calander.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Why name a trophy that he has played no part in after him?

Name the Matchplay after him that he actually played in or even bring back the News Of the World and name it after him. Seems odd to name a tournament that he didnt even commentate in after him.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RIP Eric Bristow

Post by Ginge »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Name the Matchplay after him that he actually played in or even bring back the News Of the World and name it after him. Seems odd to name a tournament that he didnt even commentate in after him.
Thankfully your sentiments are not shared by the majority of the forum.

Or something.
Big Jock Knew
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Thinking about it did the PDC just name the Matchplay trophy after Taylor or have I completely made that up?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:Thinking about it did the PDC just name the Matchplay trophy after Taylor or have I completely made that up?
They did. So they had no other option other than naming a trophy in a event he never played in.
Big Jock Knew
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Ginge wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Or something.

:grin:

Love how SSjsa declares he speaks for the "rest of the forum"
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Ginge wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Or something.
Are you alright hun xx

Just wondering, as you seem to be in poodle mode this evening. ;-)

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner