Wheres Ronnie Baxter

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
BlueSpark
International

Re: RE: Re: Wheres Ronnie Baxter

Post by BlueSpark »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Ginge wrote:Ooh he's upset now.
Just like he cried when his dating profile was posted.
That has to be my funniest moment on this forum.
Or any, for that matter.
Might go back and have another read
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Re: Wheres Ronnie Baxter

Post by Black Velvet »

Quick, someone post some pictures of minions to sate him!
Duterprat
Superleague Player

Post by Duterprat »

Best one to never win a WC? James Wade and Terry Jenkins have to be on top of that list for sure.
jameshope
The Ton Club

Post by jameshope »

I always liked Ronnie Baxter good player and a very nice person when I met him in 2011
Robson
The Ton Club

Post by Robson »

Duterprat wrote:Best one to never win a WC? James Wade and Terry Jenkins have to be on top of that list for sure.
Baxter was better than them in the late 90s - Better talent -

Robson
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

I wouldn't put Baxter near the top.of the list of non world champions...he was around for years pre split and had a great couple of years which were his real peak I think....he should have beaten Harrington in the Matchplay and then should have beaten Barney at Lakeside....that was his real peak....after his switch he was very good but never a real threat at winning PDC majors and definitely never the PDC Worlds ...a very good player though..

I'd say Gregory a proper shout...a threat during the Bristow and Lowe heyday and how he didn't beat Taylor in that final nobody knows..
ChrisB
Feather Flights

Post by ChrisB »

I remember Baxter beating Taylor 13-10 in the quarters of the Matchplay. Taylor was 9-5 up averaging 105 when Ronnie went on a run to defeat Taylor, who uncharactericly missed doubles and “bottled it”. Cracking game. Baxter went on to lose to Harrington in the final having had a dart at tops for 64 to be in the title. Aside from two lakeside finals, he also lost in the masters to Graham Hunt.

Given Wade was a winner, he has to be up there. So too Jenkins with every major final bar the worlds. Baxter however must be in the top 5. He could beat anyone on his day, he just bottled the big occasions. I recall the great Bristow... “the only man who cannot won his title is Baxter, on his day he can beat anyone, but...”
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Like Wright you can’t include James Wade given he’s still active and thus has a chance of winning the world title still! He also has never played in a world championship final.
Witty
Feather Flights

Post by Witty »

Although still active and has more than enough time to win one, up to this point it has to be James Wade. If he retires without a World Championship win he'd be the darts equivalent to Jimmy White.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Guess it’s an ironic username.
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

Ronnie used to post on the original forum years back and it was through that I got speaking to him and ended up going to his Wednesday night comps in his and Rachel's pub in Cirencester, Back in them days Terry Jenkins used to play there as well and struggled to win games as did Ronnie against some of the Wiltshire players that used to attend including Johnny Haines and big guy called Martin (the pair of them used to win most of the Wednesday comps between them)

Ronnie always made me feel welcome in his boozer and I seen him at a lot of comps I went to and he always had time for a chat and asked how I was getting on and even watched me play some games notably at the Cheshire open the year he won it and I had a run to the last 16, Ronnie to me, Always had a relaxed side to him in that he seemed to have no care at all if he won or lost and if they went then they went, if they didn't then hey ho sort of attitude.

One memory that sticks out more than others with Ronnie was the 1998 Yorkshire Classic where the semi finals were him against Darryl Fitton and Shane Burgess against Les Fitton, All weekend Ronnie looked the player to beat, I was chalking the last 32 match after losing to Reg Harding with Mace against Darryl Fitton and Mace missed a shed load of darts at D16 in 2 legs ended up handing the game to Darryl on a plate and Ronnie was on the next board and had just won his match 3-0, I heard someone say he went out in 12-11-12 and the other player didn't stand a chance, Ronnie looked like he hadn't a care in the world or was happy about winning as well as he did, He was a man on a mission that weekend.
Robson
The Ton Club

Post by Robson »

daveboygreen wrote:Ronnie used to post on the original forum years back and it was through that I got speaking to him and ended up going to his Wednesday night comps in his and Rachel's pub in Cirencester, Back in them days Terry Jenkins used to play there as well and struggled to win games as did Ronnie against some of the Wiltshire players that used to attend including Johnny Haines and big guy called Martin (the pair of them used to win most of the Wednesday comps between them)

Ronnie always made me feel welcome in his boozer and I seen him at a lot of comps I went to and he always had time for a chat and asked how I was getting on and even watched me play some games notably at the Cheshire open the year he won it and I had a run to the last 16, Ronnie to me, Always had a relaxed side to him in that he seemed to have no care at all if he won or lost and if they went then they went, if they didn't then hey ho sort of attitude.

One memory that sticks out more than others with Ronnie was the 1998 Yorkshire Classic where the semi finals were him against Darryl Fitton and Shane Burgess against Les Fitton, All weekend Ronnie looked the player to beat, I was chalking the last 32 match after losing to Reg Harding with Mace against Darryl Fitton and Mace missed a shed load of darts at D16 in 2 legs ended up handing the game to Darryl on a plate and Ronnie was on the next board and had just won his match 3-0, I heard someone say he went out in 12-11-12 and the other player didn't stand a chance, Ronnie looked like he hadn't a care in the world or was happy about winning as well as he did, He was a man on a mission that weekend.
Great post bud -

Robson
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Witty wrote:Although still active and has more than enough time to win one, up to this point it has to be James Wade. If he retires without a World Championship win he'd be the darts equivalent to Jimmy White.

Well Jimmy White lost in 6 world championship finals, no one has lost that many in a darts world champs I believe but in terms of majors then a direct comparison would be Terry Jenkins and Tony O’Shea (7 x major final losses each ?) and then probably Ronnie Baxter (5 x major final defeats ?).
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

daveboygreen wrote:Ronnie used to post on the original forum years back and it was through that I got speaking to him and ended up going to his Wednesday night comps in his and Rachel's pub in Cirencester, Back in them days Terry Jenkins used to play there as well and struggled to win games as did Ronnie against some of the Wiltshire players that used to attend including Johnny Haines and big guy called Martin (the pair of them used to win most of the Wednesday comps between them)

Ronnie always made me feel welcome in his boozer and I seen him at a lot of comps I went to and he always had time for a chat and asked how I was getting on and even watched me play some games notably at the Cheshire open the year he won it and I had a shit, then a run to the last 16, Ronnie to me, Always had a relaxed side to him in that he seemed to have no care at all if he won or lost and if they went then they went, if they didn't then hey ho sort of attitude.

Got any true stories?
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

Black Velvet wrote:

Ronnie always made me feel welcome in his boozer and I seen him at a lot of comps I went to and he always had time for a chat and asked how I was getting on and even watched me play some games notably at the Cheshire open the year he won it and I had a shit, then a run to the last 16, Ronnie to me, Always had a relaxed side to him in that he seemed to have no care at all if he won or lost and if they went then they went, if they didn't then hey ho sort of attitude.

Got any true stories?
Lee...To answer your other thread, Its idiots like this that have ruined this forum!!
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

No, then.
Robson
The Ton Club

Post by Robson »

DavidB wrote:
Witty wrote:Although still active and has more than enough time to win one, up to this point it has to be James Wade. If he retires without a World Championship win he'd be the darts equivalent to Jimmy White.

Well Jimmy White lost in 6 world championship finals, no one has lost that many in a darts world champs I believe but in terms of majors then a direct comparison would be Terry Jenkins and Tony O’Shea (7 x major final losses each ?) and then probably Ronnie Baxter (5 x major final defeats ?).
I love the Silverback - A credit to the great game - But hes nowhere near Baxter level - Neither is Jenkins - It makes sense that Wade OShea Jenkins dont have world titles - Good players - But not great - The real shame is Baxter and Gregory not being world champions - They are the Jimmy Whites of darts -

Robson
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

You're better than this, Fat Mark.
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Whereas this is your level, Fat Liam.
UKDA 4 Life