Top 10 players in the world

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
nikkiboy
International

Re: Top 10 players in the world

Post by nikkiboy »

ssjsa wrote:Durrant played very well this week, however currently he is nowhere near the Top 10 in the world.

Don't wish to torpedo your thread but would suggest you copy and paste 1-10 from the PDC OOM thread and then you have your answer. The only debatable point perhaps is the order of those 10.
You are having a laugh, being a great player means taking your chances and winning TV tournaments, some of the players in the PDC top ten will never win a TV major.

1 Michael van Gerwen agree
2 Peter Wright agree
3 Rob Cross agree
4 Gary Anderson agree
5 Daryl Gurney semi agree
6 Mensur Suljovic semi agree
7 Dave Chisnall nope
8 Michael Smith nope
9 Simon Whitlock nope
10 James Wade won't win a TV tournament again

Now from the above on current form I would place Duzza somewhere between 5 and 7 unless you are telling me that Chizzy the choker is a better player than Durrant?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Ssjsa is clearly ill
UKDA 4 Life
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

This is a thread about dart players NOT sports entertainers
UKDA 4 Life
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: Top 10 players in the world

Post by Skewball »

nikkiboy wrote:
ssjsa wrote:Durrant played very well this week, however currently he is nowhere near the Top 10 in the world.

Don't wish to torpedo your thread but would suggest you copy and paste 1-10 from the PDC OOM thread and then you have your answer. The only debatable point perhaps is the order of those 10.
You are having a laugh, being a great player means taking your chances and winning TV tournaments, some of the players in the PDC top ten will never win a TV major.

2 Peter Wright agree
3 Rob Cross agree
4 Gary Anderson agree
7 Dave Chisnall nope
8 Michael Smith nope
9 Simon Whitlock nope

Now from the above on current form I would place Duzza somewhere between 5 and 7 unless you are telling me that Chizzy the choker is a better player than Durrant?
I would agree on the whole but think Smith is getting there. Duzza on the face of it yes, 5-7 sounds about right , but , having to beat these guys week in week out takes a different sort of mentality. Glennn seems to pay a heavy emotional price when plays big games so I'm not convinced that he could do it game after game.
Sadly we will never know.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:Ssjsa is clearly ill
You said the same thing lol.

Unless you were trolling?.....
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Top 10 players in the world

Skewball wrote:
Moongoose McQueeen wrote:Ssjsa is clearly ill
You said the same thing lol.

Unless you were trolling?.....
I'm talking about Darts players.

The PDC isn't darts. It's sports entertainment.
UKDA 4 Life
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Robson wrote:1. MVG
2. Durrent
3. Anderson
4. Wright
5. Smith
6. RVB
7. Cross
8. McGeeney
9. Gurney
10. Mitchell
The fact you have Barney at number 6 says it all.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:
Robson wrote:1. MVG
2. Durrent
3. Anderson
4. Wright
5. Smith
6. RVB
7. Cross
8. McGeeney
9. Gurney
10. Mitchell
The fact you have Barney at number 6 says it all.
The greatest player Leeds has ever produced.
Big Jock Knew
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

2 Peter Wright agree
3 Rob Cross agree
4 Gary Anderson agree
7 Dave Chisnall nope
8 Michael Smith nope
9 Simon Whitlock nope

I would agree on the whole but think Smith is getting there. Duzza on the face of it yes, 5-7 sounds about right , but , having to beat these guys week in week out takes a different sort of mentality. Glennn seems to pay a heavy emotional price when plays big games so I'm not convinced that he could do it game after game.
Based my comment on those 10 being full time darts professionals playing against the best in the business on a weekly basis.

Those 10 would provide the most competitive PL as all have proven that they can perform on that stage.

In fairness players like Cadby and Dimitri have the potential to break into this elite group, as does Durrant if he was prepared to go full time.

Personally am a huge fan of Glen, as I was of Bunting when he came across. At the time thought Stephen was easily in the Top 10 in the world, but that clearly proved to not be the case in the harsh environment that is professional darts in the PDC.

No doubt that Durrant has the talent to be successful in the PDC, but would hold off categorising him as one of the Top 10 players in the world, until he demonstrates he can compete on a regular basis against the Top 10 in the PDC OOM.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

ssjsa wrote:
Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

2 Peter Wright agree
3 Rob Cross agree
4 Gary Anderson agree
7 Dave Chisnall nope
8 Michael Smith nope
9 Simon Whitlock nope

Based my comment on those 10 being full time darts professionals playing against the best in the business on a weekly basis.

Those 10 would provide the most competitive PL as all have proven that they can perform on that stage.

In fairness players like Cadby and Dimitri have the potential to break into this elite group, as does Durrant if he was prepared to go full time.

Personally am a huge fan of Glen, as I was of Bunting when he came across. At the time thought Stephen was easily in the Top 10 in the world, but that clearly proved to not be the case in the harsh environment that is professional darts in the PDC.

No doubt that Durrant has the talent to be successful in the PDC, but would hold off categorising him as one of the Top 10 players in the world, until he demonstrates he can compete on a regular basis against the Top 10 in the PDC OOM.
So your exact criteria for being one of the top ten players in the world is solely being ranked in the PDC top 10?
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

1. Michael van Gerwen
2. Gary Anderson
3. Rob Cross
4. Peter Wright
5. Daryl Gurney
6. Michael Smith
7. James Wade
8. Raymond van Barneveld
9. Mensur Suljovic
10. Corey Cadby
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ssjsa wrote:
Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

2 Peter Wright agree
3 Rob Cross agree
4 Gary Anderson agree
7 Dave Chisnall nope
8 Michael Smith nope
9 Simon Whitlock nope

exactly right. Bunting proved that dominating the BDO does not necessarily lead to top 10 PDC. His averages were similar to Glen and he won pretty much everything for a spell, and he was younger.
Barney did and of course the majority of the top 10 are ex BDO so no one would say Glen has not got the potential but I like you would need to see it proved before I would personally put him in the top 10. As I said above, I'm not convinced mentally he could - but I defo would give him a chance of winning any PDC tournament he entered. He is good.
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Ssjsa is absolutely brainwashed.
UKDA 4 Life
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

2 Peter Wright agree
3 Rob Cross agree
4 Gary Anderson agree
7 Dave Chisnall nope
8 Michael Smith nope
9 Simon Whitlock nope

I don't believe he has the mental fortitude to consistently play big games, judging him on the few he has played so far.
He wouldn't get to many tv semis anyway, let alone finals, so this point may be irrelevant.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

nikkiboy wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

2 Peter Wright agree
3 Rob Cross agree
4 Gary Anderson agree
7 Dave Chisnall nope
8 Michael Smith nope
9 Simon Whitlock nope

So your exact criteria for being one of the top ten players in the world is solely being ranked in the PDC top 10?
Seems to be. I wonder if the same stands for the top 32.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

nikkiboy wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

2 Peter Wright agree
3 Rob Cross agree
4 Gary Anderson agree
7 Dave Chisnall nope
8 Michael Smith nope
9 Simon Whitlock nope

Yes.

We can all speculate on the relative merits of many players to be considered in the Top 10 of the World, but my criteria is based on proven results in a professional environment over a prolonged period of time.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

ssjsa wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote: You are having a laugh, being a great player means taking your chances and winning TV tournaments, some of the players in the PDC top ten will never win a TV major.

2 Peter Wright agree
3 Rob Cross agree
4 Gary Anderson agree
7 Dave Chisnall nope
8 Michael Smith nope
9 Simon Whitlock nope

Yes.

We can all speculate on the relative merits of many players to be considered in the Top 10 of the World, but my criteria is based on proven results in a professional environment over a prolonged period of time.
Cross has been in the PDC for just over a year - "prolonged period of time"?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

nikkiboy wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Skewball wrote:I would agree on the whole but think Smith is getting there. Duzza on the face of it yes, 5-7 sounds about right , but , having to beat these guys week in week out takes a different sort of mentality. Glennn seems to pay a heavy emotional price when plays big games so I'm not convinced that he could do it game after game.

Yes.

thats what makes his achievment even better, are you saying he is not top 10 lol!
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Top 10 players in the world

Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

Yes.

thats what makes his achievment even better, are you saying he is not top 10 lol!
He is Keith Deller
UKDA 4 Life
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Skewball wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

Yes.

No but SSJSA's own criteria states that they must have "proven results in a professional environment over a prolonged period of time" - he's one one tournament, this year and is in so that tells me that either the criteria is "to be in the PDC" only or Cross should not be there.