WDT 2018 - the post mortem

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
WCDPA
International

Re: WDT 2018 - the post mortem

Post by WCDPA »

nikkiboy wrote:
Ginge wrote:
markymark wrote:Doing previews hours/minutes before the matches start is pointless, where were they weeks/months before?

If Lakeside ends up on Premier or the like, it is over. I'm not sure it can survive not being on a "proper" channel anyway.
I dont think Potter would continue to stump up the money if it was, tbh.
Chris intimated that there was some good news on the horizon for this, let's hope he's right.
Ditto ;)
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

wow:

(real fanatics)
Paul Sabin The whole organisation was a shambles but at least we got to see some fantastic darts I paid £294 for the 7 session that was for me and my son to watch the darts only to get told I could have brought tickets for £11-50 a session witch would of only cost £164-50 a saving of £125.50 and for that you could sit where you like but know when I email the bdo to complain I bet they will not compensate me
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

More fool him, people were saying for weeks that sales were that poor and they would more than likely bring stands people to the front :D
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:More fool him, people were saying for weeks that sales were that poor and they would more than likely bring stands people to the front :D
No it's not more fool him, he is a paying customer that is not happy, the BDO should as a gesture of goodwill offer him free tickets to next year's WDT or the Masters for all sessions. Keep him happy and he will return.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
Ginge wrote:More fool him, people were saying for weeks that sales were that poor and they would more than likely bring stands people to the front :D
No it's not more fool him, he is a paying customer that is not happy, the BDO should as a gesture of goodwill offer him free tickets to next year's WDT or the Masters for all sessions. Keep him happy and he will return.
He would probably have more joy complaining to the venue first.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
In fact I would go as far as to offer anyone who bought tickets for this year's event free tickets for next year as a reward for their loyalty.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

4 pages with everyone giving their thoughts on what went wrong.

The reality is if this event should not have gone ahead, ticket sales were a complete disaster , and only went ahead out of their ego, and the bdo could be losing in excess of 80k

If this was Des's idea to plough on then this shows he is just as inept as the Williams
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

nikkiboy wrote:
Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
In fact I would go as far as to offer anyone who bought tickets for this year's event free tickets for next year as a reward for their loyalty.
If Mr Sabin contacts Des Jacklin he will at the very least get a reply .
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

"I cant believe I booked a first class airline ticket and the last two seats were filled by people from economy who were upgraded for nothing. I'm going to complain and get a refund"
Big Jock Knew
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Standard - Its a "professional" darts tournament, the fact that everyone seems to be going down the route of "at least the standard was good" shows how bad the BDO has got, a good standard is a bare minimum to keep people interested and to have a product they can sell. Nice to see a good ladies final though.

Venue - Nothing wrong with it, I still think the Masters and Worlds are going there......but if you cant interest people in going to an event that only cost £10 a ticket because it was too expensive or too far away (the 2 main complaints Ive seen this weekend) then you have no chance.

TV - Shambles Imo, Freesports is the lowest of the low outside of putting it on the local TV channels (Which was actually mentioned at one point), 24/7 still do a shit job of it. Be interesting to see how many people tuned in when you consider the youtube figures didnt change at all Saturday night when it was messed about

Promotion - Absolute shit, The amount of conversations ive had with people that have gone "you watching the darts this weekend" "yeah that world cup thing" "no the BDO one" "The BDO have a tournament on TV this weekend?". I honestly can only think it was promoted so badly that they wanted it to fail and if they want it to fail it can only mean that someone is trying to throw someone under the bus, either Des is throwing the Williams under the bus or vice versa. Me thinks battle lines will be drawn in the next month before August and the WIlliams arnt going away that easy.

Sponsors - None. We was told big sponsors were on the way, we were told under 18s couldnt play because of sponsors rules only for no sponsors to actually come about............and Winmau doesnt count.

Money - Yet another 80k down the drain again. Venue might have been free if hes got a deal in place for future tournaments but that will only mean hes lost a ton (60 people paying for drinks isnt going to cover his staff wages), TV production will have to be covered, prize fund will have to be covered.

As I said last night if anyone honestly thinks this tournament should be run again they need their head checking. They will be bust in 2 years if they continue doing this.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

good point about the venue and them not making any money. I bet you are right about them getting it for free. But I'm sure you are right that the venue made a loss as well. Also makes them look crap as well. Quite possibly damaged relations between them I imagine.

And the no sponsor thing really is very very dire. It is unforgivable really.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

No no no no Winmau sponsored it and paid the entire prizefund in.
Big Jock Knew
Dazzla501
Steady Sixties

Post by Dazzla501 »

Darts - Good (better than expected for both events).

Venue - Really like it and the general consensus from sensible folk is that it’s in a good location and works well for darts.

Crowd - Horrific, no other word for it. I know the potential audience they are tapping into isn’t massive these days but when the ‘you can share a taxi home’ jokes are actually valid, alarms bells should be ringing.

Prize money - Very poor but away from Lakeside there appears no sponsors/investors willing to front up (don’t blame them either and I’m not counting Winmau in this anymore). Out of interest how did the prize fund compare to the Dutch Hotel event? (forget who sponsors it these days).

Money well spent? - If it has really dented the coffers the best part of 100k then its commercial suicide. Mixture of a vanity/panic project and I’m sure it will be used for posturing and influencing what ever happens at the next BDO meeting - from which side though I haven’t a clue.

Overall it was a major major negative although that being said I thought the Welsh Cinema was worse.
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

Why would you say the prize money is poor?
Dazzla501
Steady Sixties

Post by Dazzla501 »

Astonvilla wrote:Why would you say the prize money is poor?
Relatively speaking.

The event marketed itself as a TV major with 48 of the worlds best players in attendance, went on for 5 days in a 2000 seater arena and by doing so put itself up against darts events of a similar and smaller ilk. By that measurement it looks poor to me.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Astonvilla wrote:Why would you say the prize money is poor?
Because it's piss poor, even compared to previous iterations of this tournament.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

A third of the the amount offered in 2016, I believe.
Big Jock Knew
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

London Eye is correct.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Ginge wrote:A third of the the amount offered in 2016, I believe.

WAS 30K FOR THE MENS IN THE FIRST YEAR

NOW ONLY 8K
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

I dont really think it is that bad for what is now a second tier tour. Just because its worse than 2014 doesnt make it poor.

Ive long thought some of the funds are actually very good all things considered not least the fact the BDO players still have a 100k first prize in their World Championships.
It seems to me there are lots of unrealistic ideas around prize money. For the WDT in the context of how many people wanted to pay for tickets the prizes look pretty generous.