Ally Pally goes up to 96 players

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
devosteve
International

Re: Ally Pally goes up to 96 players

Post by devosteve »

I like what the pdc have done here.

Are there still folks who believe it should still be just 32 players?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

As with any sport the World Championships rarely has just the best x amount of players or teams. It's made up of the best players from across the world.

It can easily be argued that the Matchay and Grand Prix will have the best players at those events as a complete field but they aren't the World Championships.

People keep talking about the expanded field and all the international players but of the extra 24 places on offer 16 have gone to the Pro Tour OOM, 1 to the Challenge Tour an extra 1 to the youth (?) and two female players.

I think on last year the only extra international players will come from extra Asian players.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

I dont have a problem with it

But the World Matchplay is where the "PDC Elite" 32 will play
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Robson
The Ton Club

Post by Robson »

I like it - Gives us a chance to see players we dont normally see - And the games will be close - First round will be a mini Lakeside - Just played in front of students - Im looking forward to it - Well done to the PDC -

Robson
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote:Yes the event would lose something for players if qualifying for the WC didnt guarantee you a TV game. Cant imaging Sky would want darts on two channels.

Of course but the point was if they increase the field again in the future then unless the event is extended to a month then a second stage will be the only option!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Another 8 sessions would be needed to fit in an extra 32 games, so thats another 4 days on top. Three and a bit weeks from start to finish would be ridiculous
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Dear me, yes that was the point :grin:
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:Another 8 sessions would be needed to fit in an extra 32 games, so thats another 4 days on top. Three and a bit weeks from start to finish would be ridiculous
Would only be an extra 16 games surely?

EDIT: Scrap that, stupid boy!
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidB wrote:Dear me, yes that was the point :grin:
Well not a month, but even 3 and a bit weeks is silly.

Oh and bloody hell Nick :D
Big Jock Knew
Duneh9617
Steady Sixties

Post by Duneh9617 »

I believe it all depends on the expansion of the game in the coming decade. I think it's fair to say that 72 players were too few to include all the players that have truly performed on the circuit for that year. Especially the 16 pro tour places were not enough. For the coming years 96 players seems to be the ideal number (only replace the two lady spots. Can't see why you should give away spots solely based on gender). But if the game keeps growing, I think it would be necessary to expand to a 128 player field. I've always said that when darts would reach it's full international potential, like tennis, the main tournament should include 128 participants. In a World Championship, the champion should always play seven matches.
Robson
The Ton Club

Post by Robson »

Yes this tournament is a bit too long - Lakeside and Matchplay have the right idea - But I cant complain about the new format as it gives new faces a chance -

Robson
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Ha @ Nikki and David
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
WhatHasHappened
Brass Darts

Post by WhatHasHappened »

devosteve wrote:I like what the pdc have done here.

Are there still folks who believe it should still be just 32 players?
72 is just fine at the moment imo, the first rounds dont justify more matches at the current standard. 20 sessions before christmas and 8 after, its too top heavy. They should have more sessions after Christmas to even it out a bit and finish later, say 4th or 5th Jan. The limit will surely be 128 eventually.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

I thibknthey should play the 1st round best of 3 sets. 5 legs then they could play it over 4 sessions then when sees enter play best of 5 sets
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

foggs3355 wrote:I thibknthey should play the 1st round best of 3 sets. 5 legs then they could play it over 4 sessions then when sees enter play best of 5 sets
Why?
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

I just feel if open draw and 2 overseas players draw each other could be a long drawn out game of will they have pro tour 1 pot rest in others I hope it open round 1 draw
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

I see the DPA are reintroducing there tour card for next year, not sure how it will work as they never get many more than 70 at the comps and this year has so far been better than last. They will be looking at having fields of 128 at its events.

As part of the Tour Card they will be offering up to 16 tour cards to women. This seems to be in a direct result of the announcement from the PDC re: The World Championships. Think the expectation is that they will play against the men but will be given every opportunity to prove that they can compete.

May also indicate that the PDC have got plans for further developments of tours to accommodate women. (The CDC already gives tour cards to women for its tour).