Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Re: RE: Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

oche balboa wrote:Nikki protecting the troll there

Smells of a cover up
Hates the BDO does Nikki.
UKDA 4 Life
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:
oche balboa wrote:Nikki protecting the troll there

Smells of a cover up
Hates the BDO does Nikki.
I hate no-one goosey, I just lament at the 'must defend the BDO at all costs' attitude of some people.
The first step in fixing a problem is recognising that there is a problem and if some pulled their heads out of their arses then they would see it and the process of fixing the problem could begin.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

nikkiboy wrote: The first step in fixing a problem is recognising that there is a problem and if some pulled their heads out of their arses then they would see it and the process of fixing the problem could begin.
That's the inherent problem with virtual all levels of the amateur side of the darting divide.
Most of the problems is that the people who need to recognise that there are major problems are part of the problem theirself and any 'fix' or attempted 'fixes' means that they have to give up power , influence and standing.

How often do you hear someone from an amateur organisation moan ' I have done this job for 20 odd years what could anyone else know about it' ?
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Post by Black Velvet »

Were you hurt by the same person who hurt Steve?
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

el_ringo wrote:
nikkiboy wrote: The first step in fixing a problem is recognising that there is a problem and if some pulled their heads out of their arses then they would see it and the process of fixing the problem could begin.
That's the inherent problem with virtual all levels of the amateur side of the darting divide.
Most of the problems is that the people who need to recognise that there are major problems are part of the problem theirself and any 'fix' or attempted 'fixes' means that they have to give up power , influence and standing.

How often do you hear someone from an amateur organisation moan ' I have done this job for 20 odd years what could anyone else know about it' ?
The BDO is at a key stage in it's evolution at the moment, they have all but lost big money sponsors and big TV contracts but Lakeside is still the jewel in the crown of the darting world.
The PDC have moved into the sub tour markets with the challenge tour, into the youth market with the development tour and are mooted to be going into the ladies game.
Where does that leave the BDO? I think it leaves them in the most precarious position they have ever been, with no big money coming in the company will lose money and that will have a knock on effect on what they can achieve and what they can afford to change.

I do not think that the BDO should give up the professional side of it's game but a big reshuffle is definately needed, they need to tackle the confusing category and points allocation and tables and again in my opinion they should take a leaf out of the PDC's book and shift to a money table which I think would make the tables most transparent and encourage promotors to offer more prize money in order to gain attendance.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

nikkiboy wrote:
el_ringo wrote:

The BDO is at a key stage in it's evolution at the moment, they have all but lost big money sponsors and big TV contracts but Lakeside is still the jewel in the crown of the darting world.
The PDC have moved into the sub tour markets with the challenge tour, into the youth market with the development tour and are mooted to be going into the ladies game.
Where does that leave the BDO? I think it leaves them in the most precarious position they have ever been, with no big money coming in the company will lose money and that will have a knock on effect on what they can achieve and what they can afford to change.

I do not think that the BDO should give up the professional side of it's game but a big reshuffle is definately needed, they need to tackle the confusing category and points allocation and tables and again in my opinion they should take a leaf out of the PDC's book and shift to a money table which I think would make the tables most transparent and encourage promotors to offer more prize money in order to gain attendance.

The BDO can still try and exploit the uniquness of what it has, which for me are two things: Team competitions (i.e. BICC & WOrld Cup)) and #dartsforall (Ladies, Youth) . Regarding the the latter it is starting to lose the battle, but the former it could still massively exploit in some great, obvious and innovative ways. All of which have been discussed many times already and so there is no point raising them again as they are clearly just not listening.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

nikkiboy wrote:
el_ringo wrote:

I wouldn't say lakeside is THE jewel in the darting world (it is the jewel in the BDO darting world) but clearly is still a 'jewel'. Thus, imo, the BDO need to protect their most valuable 'asset'.

re points being based on a money table one argument used against that is some 'developing' darting nations can only provide a certain amount of money in prizefund that may be less than, say, a uk based event will pay but that amount on offer actually is a bigger sacrifice for a less well off nation.

For me: the money based points system though is so much simpler and so much clearer for folk to understand.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The BDO/WDF will never, ever move to a money based system as it will just highlight the comparative pittance of money available in the system.
Big Jock Knew
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

It's amazing to think that a cabaret club, that's seen far better days, is the key to the BDO empire.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

el_ringo wrote:
Spot on. Would some of the folks in official positions give up that position for the good of the org? I doubt it. Some may simply not think they are the problem. Others just may love the position.

I have said this many times. In my youth I worked as a glass collector in the local labour club. Those guys on the committee loved it. Turning folk away who had forgotten their card. Sitting at this top table. But life changed. Now the place is a dump and there is no waiting list to become a member anymore. If you have those kind of officials strutting around lakeside, then there is your blockage.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote:The BDO/WDF will never, ever move to a money based system as it will just highlight the comparative pittance of money available in the system.
Simple solution. Each pound won gives you 10 points on the ranking table. At least it would look better!

But they need to swallow their pride. A money rankings is just so much better.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

markymark wrote:It's amazing to think that a cabaret club, that's seen far better days, is the key to the BDO empire.
It's the name though. It's not even called a world championship most of the time. The comp is called Lakeside.

Is this the weakest position the BDO have ever found themselves in? I reckon so.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

devosteve wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
el_ringo wrote:

I wouldn't say lakeside is THE jewel in the darting world (it is the jewel in the BDO darting world) but clearly is still a 'jewel'. Thus, imo, the BDO need to protect their most valuable 'asset'.

re points being based on a money table one argument used against that is some 'developing' darting nations can only provide a certain amount of money in prizefund that may be less than, say, a uk based event will pay but that amount on offer actually is a bigger sacrifice for a less well off nation.

For me: the money based points system though is so much simpler and so much clearer for folk to understand.
But if you are in let's say the USA then your table to qualify for Lakeside will only include tournament money won in the USA & Canada so even if the prize funds in the USA are less than that of the UK or Europe then you will still be on a level playing field with everyone else on that table. Of course that only applies to the international qualifying tables, for the main BDO/WDF ranking tables all monies will be converted into Euros at an exchange rate on a specific date and for me that would be the first day of the qualification start date. So if you won $10k in the USA it would be converted into Euros at the exchange rate on day 1 and that rate would be used for all conversions for the full qualifying period. It's not hard to sort out just download a list of the rates on day one and publish on the website so everyone knows where they stand, if the rate goes up or down it will only change in the next year.
Ginge wrote:The BDO/WDF will never, ever move to a money based system as it will just highlight the comparative pittance of money available in the system.
Which is an open secret and since they already publish results from around the world on their site anyway I cannot see this being an issue myself. The benefits by far outweigh the drawbacks if only in players looking at a prize fund and not having to worry about if x amount of people turn up etc. which in the old system may affect the category and thus the points earned.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
Which is an open secret and since they already publish results from around the world on their site anyway I cannot see this being an issue myself. The benefits by far outweigh the drawbacks if only in players looking at a prize fund and not having to worry about if x amount of people turn up etc. which in the old system may affect the category and thus the points earned.
Not totally.

Last year at the WDT they didnt publish the prize fund anywhere at all, made no mention of it on the broadcast etc..

The only way we knew what it was was due to a leaked letter posted on this forum :DDD:
Big Jock Knew
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

I knew it because some of my friends played in it.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
Not totally.

Last year at the WDT they didnt publish the prize fund anywhere at all, made no mention of it on the broadcast etc..

The only way we knew what it was was due to a leaked letter posted on this forum :DDD:
That was probably more down to incompetence than subterfuge, I was more on about the WDF in what I said as they are happy to publish prize funds for all international tournaments regardless how small they may seem.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Black Velvet wrote:I knew it because some of my friends played in it.
I meant the wider public, but fair point :D
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

If they went to a money list it would also do away with the awful cat ranking of events and the stupidity of box filling

Every event would stand on its own merit as to if it was worth entering by the prize money available
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

el_ringo wrote:If they went to a money list it would also do away with the awful cat ranking of events and the stupidity of box filling

Every event would stand on its own merit as to if it was worth entering by the prize money available
Are you ok?
Last edited by Black Velvet on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Black Velvet wrote:Are you ok?
I'm fine, rather touched that you asked.