Are Forums on their last legs?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
markymark
County Player

Re: Are Forums on their last legs?

Post by markymark »

Forums allow you to say things you can't on social media because they allow a degree on anonymity. Whether that's good or bad depends on your viewpoint.
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

Mgt wrote:These threads pop up every year around this time. Of course Twitter and Facebook will take some traffic away from forums, but they'll have their place for the foreseeable future I'd reckon.
Complaints about Facebook and Twitter are just constant moaning I reckon. They are bound to get some attention but there's no huge organised groups or the like really. As long as these discussions on social media don't get properly centralised, forums will always have a place. In case people are moving away from forums, that has sod all to do with Facebook or Twitter, it just notifies a lack of interest and nothing more IMO
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

markymark wrote:Forums allow you to say things you can't on social media because they allow a degree on anonymity. Whether that's good or bad depends on your viewpoint.
It's a great thing to be able to say what you want relatively freely. Really that's the only way proper discussion can take place. At the same time loads of people, especially casuals won't particularly like that, so the activity on forums is always going to be limited.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

What about other sporting forums? Football ones for example. How are they doing?

If thriving maybe the problem isn't forums but the subject matter: darts. Limited analysis/variety on the game itself, compared to football
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

devosteve wrote:What about other sporting forums? Football ones for example. How are they doing?

If thriving maybe the problem isn't forums but the subject matter: darts. Limited analysis/variety on the game itself, compared to football
240 threads posted in today on the football forum I use.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

Social Media has taken a lot of traffic away from forums, that was always inevitable, but I think forums still have a place and serve a purpose.

I guess it’s easier for the idiots to create ‘multiple’ accounts on forums, than it is on social media, so that is a constant battle.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Black Velvet wrote:
devosteve wrote:What about other sporting forums? Football ones for example. How are they doing?

240 threads posted in today on the football forum I use.
Which forum is that?
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Lee Taylor wrote:Social Media has taken a lot of traffic away from forums, that was always inevitable, but I think forums still have a place and serve a purpose.

I guess it’s easier for the idiots to create ‘multiple’ accounts on forums, than it is on social media, so that is a constant battle.
I don't think idiots who create multiple accounts are the reason darts forums are struggling, more a symptom.
If it was easy solution just delete the accounts. The BDO Fanatics facebook group is full of fake accounts by the way.
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

As long as the BDO are continually fucking up, there’s always going to be something to discuss on here.

If the BDO ever become competent then it might become quieter on here
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

TheSandman wrote:As long as the BDO are continually fekkin up, there’s always going to be something to discuss on here.

If the BDO ever become competent then it might become quieter on here
That's correct, all it is here now is a BDO/EDO assassination Forum. Almost all threads eventually resort to this.......
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Paddy taking time out from the TSoD Discussion FB page to post on a darts forum, there.
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote:Paddy taking time out from the TSoD Discussion FB page to post on a darts forum, there.
Busy page mate......so much going on in there, a couple of mentions of TSOD on there hardly constitutes an obsession....... you should be glad of the free advertising..... ;-)
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Ginge wrote:Paddy taking time out from the TSoD Discussion FB page to post on a darts forum, there.
Busy page mate......so much going on in there, a couple of mentions of TSOD on there hardly constitutes an obsession....... you should be glad of the free advertising..... ;-)
bugger all else on there at the moment, no better than the original fanatics. People too scared to mention EDO /TSOD for fear of being called mongs or twats.
Forums are the only place for true free speech.
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

No flight collectors on RF though. Nor birthdays.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Thought id have a quick look, your top posts are

Paul slagging off the Buffet and markers in Japan - That tournament he didnt go to because the organization he helps run couldn't afford to send a team

Paul announcing him and Deta could be on BBC 2 tonight

Paul advertising a finacial advisor for players

A post saying a new Sports TV channel should pick up the BDO............because its a new sports TV channel

and Paul asking if the Ladies should enter the PDC worlds qualifier.

I think forums are safe for another few years.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:

Paul slagging off the Buffet and markers in Japan - That tournament he didnt go to because the organization he helps run couldn't afford to send a team

A post saying a new Sports TV channel should pick up the BDO............because its a new sports TV channel

I'm sure I saw some small opens advertised during all the Paul nonsense.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

ChrisW wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:

In fact looking back there is loads of posts you don't mention.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

ChrisW wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:

Hundreds in fact....... Zappy being very selective and disingenuous.........who'd of thought that.
Mr Orange
Brass Darts

Post by Mr Orange »

ChrisW wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:

OH MY GOD!!!
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

:WWWW: I think I may have got a mention on Paul's right to reply fb group this morning.