What do you consider to be a PDC Major

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Which of these tournaments do you consider a Major?

World Championship
17%
Premier League
7%
World Matchplay
17%
Grand Slam of Darts
12%
World Grand Prix
15%
UK Open
15%
European Championship
6%
Players Championship Finals
8%
Champions League of Darts
1%
Masters
1%

Total votes: 219

Little Lonely Garry
International

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

DavidB wrote:You have 4 x majors in snooker, golf and tennis so if the same in darts it’d be:

Lakeside
Winmau World Masters

World Matchplay
Grand Prix
:DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
ChrisW
International

Re: What do you consider to be a PDC Major

Post by ChrisW »

I would say the ET events are second tier and the Euro Finals is a major.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

oche balboa wrote:For Balance the BDOs

Major: Lakeside, Winmau
2nd tier: Finders, World Trophy
As you know Chris, we pride ourselves in being a balanced forum, despite what some ex posters might articulate. ;-)

Why don't you post a poll on which tournaments the Forum members consider BDO Majors.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by Skewball »

phil davies wrote:Worlds
Matchplay
GSOD
Grand Prix
UK Open

That’s the big 5 in that order IMO. All other TV ranking events come under them as minor majors and then you have non ranking majors below them. Triple crown is utter nonsense IMO. It should be the big 5 as listed above so only Taylor and MvG done it thus far. Gando needs the Grand Prix which is an event I don’t ever see him winning TBH.
To have the grand prix and UK open as majors yet the PL as a 'minor' I think is bonkers.
For a player there is no doubt the Worlds the Match play and the PL are the three they want to win. Absolutely no doubt. That makes them the 'triple crown' or whatever you want to call it.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

ssjsa wrote:

As you know Chris, we pride ourselves in being a balanced forum, despite what some ex posters might articulate. ;-)

Why don't you post a poll on which tournaments the Forum members consider BDO Majors.
Lakeside.
That's it.
26scored
Pub Champion

Re: RE: Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by 26scored »

phil davies wrote:
Skewball wrote:
Matchplay
GSOD
Grand Prix
UK Open

That’s the big 5 in that order IMO. All other TV ranking events come under them as minor majors and then you have non ranking majors below them. Triple crown is utter nonsense IMO. It should be the big 5 as listed above so only Taylor and MvG done it thus far. Gando needs the Grand Prix which is an event I don’t ever see him winning TBH.
To have the grand prix and UK open as majors yet the PL as a 'minor' I think is bonkers.
For a player there is no doubt the Worlds the Match play and the PL are the three they want to win. Absolutely no doubt. That makes them the 'triple crown' or whatever you want to call it.
Only because they offer the most money if a billionaire set up a tournament tomorrow offering a million to the winner does that make it a major? Not in my option it doesn’t. The PL is just a money making scheme nothing wrong with it but it’s deffo not a major.
No if a tournament like that was set up that wouldn't be a major instantly, however that's not a good example.

The PL has a great history, older than the Slam and only 2 years younger than the UK Open, people consider both majors, so I don't understand the prestige argument. Compare the growth of the PL to other tournaments, it's huge. The money on offer is great but that's not the only thing. And I'd say the PL is harder to win than the WGP or UK Open. Even to get a PL invitation is a career achievement, getting to the top 4 and winning finals night is as tough as it gets.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

BlueSpark wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

Lakeside.
That's it.
Lakeside and Turkish open.
paolo2144
Steady Sixties

Post by paolo2144 »

To me the obvious big 3 in the PDC pecking order as far as most fans go would be:

1) World Championship, 2) World Matchplay & 3) World Grand Prix

I personally would have the GSOD just behind those 3 and then would consider the UK Open and PL as part of a Big 6.

However i do think as far as the money and exposure goes that comes with the PL, i suspect a lot of players and pundits would have that at No3 in the list, but i think most darts fans might disagree with that view
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: What do you consider to be a PDC Major

Post by Skewball »

paolo2144 wrote:To me the obvious big 3 in the PDC pecking order as far as most fans go would be:

1) World Championship, 2) World Matchplay & 3) World Grand Prix

I personally would have the GSOD just behind those 3 and then would consider the UK Open and PL as part of a Big 6.

However i do think as far as the money and exposure goes that comes with the PL, i suspect a lot of players and pundits would have that at No3 in the list, but i think most darts fans might disagree with that view
Not just a lot.
Ask any player , Grand Prix vs PL. It's not even a context.
The top three , triple crown, whatever. Is quite obvious.
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by Skewball »

phil davies wrote:
Skewball wrote:
Matchplay
GSOD
Grand Prix
UK Open

Only because they offer the most money if a billionaire set up a tournament tomorrow offering a million to the winner does that make it a major? Not in my option it doesn’t. The PL is just a money making scheme nothing wrong with it but it’s deffo not a major.
That's not a fair comparison.
The players would prefer the PL, that's good enough for me because the players wanting it more makes it a more meaningful competition.
Mgt
Superleague Player

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by Mgt »

I definitely rank the PL as one of the biggest PDC majors.
The players are eager to play in it, only the best amongst the PDC field compete and what I especially like is that "luck of the draw" is eliminated completely. You've got to play them all and be consistently good over a longer period to make it in the PL. Gives it a very unique feel as far as I'm concerned.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Matchplay, WGP, UK Open.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Black Velvet wrote:Matchplay, WGP, UK Open.
So the World Championship is not a Major. :omg:

Have you nothing better to do than troll our threads. :WWWW:

Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Trolling because I have a different opinion to you, gotcha.
Mgt
Superleague Player

Post by Mgt »

I think the UK Open should have an increase in prize money if it doesn't want to slide down the list of big PDC majors. I mean it's got the history and the unique feel about it, but nowadays every other PDC major has a better prize fund! The GSOD, European Championship and Player's Championship Finals all surpassed it. Money isn't everything ofcourse but with the extremely busy PDC calendar these days it might get harder to compete for player's attention which can't be good for a major.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Black Velvet wrote:Trolling because I have a different opinion to you, gotcha.
Nothing to do with having a different opinion to me. Most posters on the forum share that.

When you post that the Matchplay, World Grand Prix and UK Open are the only PDC Majors, and exclude the W/C frankly your credibility as being anything other than a troll goes right out of the window.

el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Upon thinking about it i am happy to accept what ever Barry Hearn tells us is a major
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

And that’s not trolling, apparently^^^^ :DDD:
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

el_ringo wrote:Upon thinking about it i am happy to accept what ever Barry Hearn tells us is a major
Well his take would be pretty interesting. What does he consider to be the Majors?

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

PDC: Worlds, Matchplay, WGP, UK Open

BDO: Lakeside Worlds, Masters

PL and GSoD both have invites and whilst I like the Slam, I would never consider it a major. Back in the day the IDL and the original WDT had good claims to be majors as proper cross-division events.