Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
BlueSpark
International

Re: Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Post by BlueSpark »

I am not bothered if it is only streamed, as I can watch that on my phone anyway.
I JUST WANT TO KNOW IT IS AT LAKESIDE AND BUY TICKETS!!
That is all
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

devosteve wrote:Re the O2. Wayne D reckons they could sell tickets. He got 1,000 coming to a darts exbo. With the expert team that they have he says it will do well.

Maybe the wdt and the masters flopped (crowd wise) primarily because of chronic promotion?

What is clear is that the bdo b I oars have been put in contact with the O2 folk. I reckon des is edging his bets re lakeside. Keeping it there if he cannot get elsewhere. Whilst he tries he doesn't want to lose his back up plan of lakeside.
Which is exactly part of the point I was making. They didn't do a really bad job of promoting these events deliberately as part of a social experiment, or for a laugh. The sad truth is that they genuinely haven't got a clue how to promote an event in this day and age. Milkmen armed with flyers, for Christ's sake.
Lakeside (as in the tournament) is an institution in itself, which was great for the BDO because it meant TV exposure and decent live crowds one week of the year for very little effort or expenditure on their part.
But those days are clearly over, and I'm yet to see any evidence of a plan being in place for what happens next.

Even if they do get their act together on promoting their events (although Des thinking the most marketable image to have on the Masters poster was his own face doesn't fill me with confidence on that front), they've got an absolute mountain to climb in getting darts fans who have been raised on a steady diet of what the PDC is offering to give them a fair crack.
As an example, over the last few years I can think of at least 2 online bookies who when opening their books on Lakeside have promoted it via their Facebook and Twitter pages using Lakeside footage taken from Youtube. They could have used something like the Mitchell / Adams final which was awesome in terms of drama. But no. They chose footage of a tired and emotional Tony Fleet chucking single figure score after single figure score and dropping his darts on the floor every other visit.
If the bookies are going to take the piss out of you whilst encouraging people to bet on your product, you really are in trouble.
The stick
Brass Darts

Post by The stick »

Just thought perhaps would interest them with it being world champs - most casual punters will have heard of lakeside which would probably draw more viewers. I doubt many casuals would have tuned in for wdt.

Scheduling would be major issue for them imagine though
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
devosteve wrote:Re the O2. Wayne D reckons they could sell tickets. He got 1,000 coming to a darts exbo. With the expert team that they have he says it will do well.

Maybe the wdt and the masters flopped (crowd wise) primarily because of chronic promotion?

What is clear is that the bdo b I oars have been put in contact with the O2 folk. I reckon des is edging his bets re lakeside. Keeping it there if he cannot get elsewhere. Whilst he tries he doesn't want to lose his back up plan of lakeside.
Which is exactly part of the point I was making. They didn't do a really bad job of promoting these events deliberately as part of a social experiment, or for a laugh. The sad truth is that they genuinely haven't got a clue how to promote an event in this day and age. Milkmen armed with flyers, for Christ's sake.
Lakeside (as in the tournament) is an institution in itself, which was great for the BDO because it meant TV exposure and decent live crowds one week of the year for very little effort or expenditure on their part.
But those days are clearly over, and I'm yet to see any evidence of a plan being in place for what happens next.

Even if they do get their act together on promoting their events (although Des thinking the most marketable image to have on the Masters poster was his own face doesn't fill me with confidence on that front), they've got an absolute mountain to climb in getting darts fans who have been raised on a steady diet of what the PDC is offering to give them a fair crack.
As an example, over the last few years I can think of at least 2 online bookies who when opening their books on Lakeside have promoted it via their Facebook and Twitter pages using Lakeside footage taken from Youtube. They could have used something like the Mitchell / Adams final which was awesome in terms of drama. But no. They chose footage of a tired and emotional Tony Fleet chucking single figure score after single figure score and dropping his darts on the floor every other visit.
If the bookies are going to take the piss out of you whilst encouraging people to bet on your product, you really are in trouble.
Think one of them used the clip of Larry Butler scoring three trebles in a single visit. Treble 1, that is.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

One of them had a caption
Something like "Thud, Thud, Thud. Twenty Eight"
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

The stick wrote:Just thought perhaps would interest them with it being world champs - most casual punters will have heard of lakeside which would probably draw more viewers. I doubt many casuals would have tuned in for wdt.

Most casual punters have heard of Lakeside, but I think the problem would be they are also used to seeing it on terrestrial TV. If it happens to be on instead of Countdown (or previously Bargain Hunt or whatever), they'll watch it, but they aren't going looking for it. Or at least not in sufficient numbers to make forking out for the live broadcast costs worthwhile. Especially for a channel like Dave who subsist almost exclusively on a diet of very cheap repeats picked up from elsewhere.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Ginge wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

Think one of them used the clip of Larry Butler scoring three trebles in a single visit. Treble 1, that is.
Ah yes, think you might be right there. At least one of them used Tony Fleet though. I remember the tragically predictable boycott campaign over on Fanatics.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

The stick wrote:Just thought perhaps would interest them with it being world champs - most casual punters will have heard of lakeside which would probably draw more viewers. I doubt many casuals would have tuned in for wdt.

It's the broadcasting set up costs that are the sticking point methinks, John who does this reckons in the region of tens of thousands plus for it to be done properly.

However, the stream for the masters was OK and with a bit of a tweak in the graphics department and a studio setup (for interviews) it could be of a standard that is broadcastable. If the BDO paid for this setup and (example) Dave paid a couple of presenters it may be a workable idea.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote:Hes an idiot, does he really think an exbo crowd is the same as a Lakeside crowd?!?!
But that's my point. maybe the BDO are now looking at attracting the exbo crowd. And wayne isn't aiming at the lakeside faithful.

Surely the BDO have wised up that even their most loyal fans don't want to pay to watch BDO darts outside of lakeside. So thus with the o2, they will promote it to stand up if you love the darts brigade?

Just a thought. It's not like wayne is saying "BDO is gonna grow". It needs a new professional team promoting it.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:

It's the broadcasting set up costs that are the sticking point methinks, John who does this reckons in the region of tens of thousands plus for it to be done properly.

However, the stream for the masters was OK and with a bit of a tweak in the graphics department and a studio setup (for interviews) it could be of a standard that is broadcastable. If the BDO paid for this setup and (example) Dave paid a couple of presenters it may be a workable idea.
There were no crowd cameras, no "side on" camera, no camera for "beauty shots"....it was as basic as they come. No half decent TV channel like Dave would accept this for broadcast.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

There were no crowd cameras
That's because there was no crowd, doh.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

24/7 did the stream and I don’t know why EDO & BDO go back to them
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
The stick
Brass Darts

Post by The stick »

Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

There were no crowd cameras, no "side on" camera, no camera for "beauty shots"....it was as basic as they come. No half decent TV channel like Dave would accept this for broadcast.
If it’s going to be on tv it’s got to be top production can’t skimp on that or you will only further damage the brand. If there has to be any sort of resurgence then the image portrayed has be high quality

Freesport coverage (if I remember correctly) was embarrassing and would have been better off streaming rather than promoting that
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Aye, Dave did it properly last time, with presenters, a walk-on, loads of cameras etc. They arent going to do it on the cheap, but I cant imagine they would go back to it anytime soon anyway.
Big Jock Knew
The stick
Brass Darts

Post by The stick »

Masters stream was good for the purpose it served - as a stream. Tv broadcast has to be considerably better imo
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

Yes add that to Nikkiboy's other 'tweaks' and it could be fine.

The side on camera was used with a person operating this at the same venue for the same production just two weeks earlier - don't know why it was ditched for The World Masters.

Also used at the British Open/Classic weekend was the camera overlooking the stage and arena and used between matches - this would be better than the spinning dartboard (although at least the schedule was added with music on Sat/Sun).

The problem is though, every time this type of production is used (the DiM people don't have this issue) the main board camera is always without fail at a wonky angle - it's horrid even for a stream let alone tv! Always gets fixed after the first day but why can't they get it right to begin with??
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

The problem with all of the points is the horse has bolted. The bdo literally have nothing in terms of value to offer any sponsors or tv. You only have to ask a few questions

Are you selling our venues? - no not even close

Are you getting the figures when you have been on tv? - nope

Do you have any of the big names in the sport? - no

What sane buisnessman or tv channel would honestly look at what the bdo has put out over the last 18 months and see that as sound business, the last decent sponsor they got didn’t bother to send their representative to the event.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:The problem with all of the points is the horse has bolted. The bdo literally have nothing in terms of value to offer any sponsors or tv. You only have to ask a few questions

What sane buisnessman or tv channel would honestly look at what the bdo has put out over the last 18 months and see that as sound business, the last decent sponsor they got didn’t bother to send their representative to the event.

There are many many sporting events that get on tv that barely have a crowd. There was a t20 cricket event based in Abu Dhabi over the last weekend played in a virtually empty stadium and was on tv!
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

DavidB wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:The problem with all of the points is the horse has bolted. The bdo literally have nothing in terms of value to offer any sponsors or tv. You only have to ask a few questions

There are many many sporting events that get on tv that barely have a crowd. There was a t20 cricket event based in Abu Dhabi over the last weekend played in a virtually empty stadium and was on tv!
On freesports

And that was heavily backed by a big sponsor and had decent named cricketers playing it so it doesn’t really compare
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Brett just wants the bdo to vanish

Anyway

Just rang Lakeside asking about Tickets

Was told to expect some positive news within the next few days, BDO have messed around for far too long. It was a bloke I spoke too
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021