Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
nikkiboy
International

Re: Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Post by nikkiboy »

MancheStar wrote:It would be a great bit of marketing for the BDO to plug. There best bet is to announce it to the darts world when everyone’s watching live.
BDO Press Release:

Hi I'm Des and I run the British Darts Organisation, have you just watched the eight BDO players get spanked in the groups? well the BDO is proud to announce that you can watch these guys again in the BDO World Professional Darts Championship taking place at the Preston Guild Hall and broadcast live and exclusive by Youtube.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Whatever they announce now can't be seen as good news. It is a farce that lakeside has come down to this. Watching Lakeside was what got me into darts in the late 80's, probably like 90% of people on here.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Skewball we know your position
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I wish people would stop going on about how Pol Pol killed thousands of his own citizens, yes we get it!
Big Jock Knew
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Skewball wrote:Whatever they announce now can't be seen as good news. It is a farce that lakeside has come down to this. Watching Lakeside was what got me into darts in the late 80's, probably like 90% of people on here.
I dunno

If he announces it tomorrow most of the loyal brigade will forget everything, hail him as the saviour as they ring up for tickets

The only difference for anyone will be if he announces it for a different venue
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Skewball wrote:Whatever they announce now can't be seen as good news. It is a farce that lakeside has come down to this. Watching Lakeside was what got me into darts in the late 80's, probably like 90% of people on here.
I dunno

If he announces it tomorrow most of the loyal brigade will forget everything, hail him as the saviour as they ring up for tickets

The only difference for anyone will be if he announces it for a different venue
Spot on. Loads of "well done Des!!!" posts for doing the bare minimum.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

oche balboa wrote:Skewball we know your position
But that doesn't make sense. Folks know we're you stand on a lot of issues. Are you only going to post 'brand new' thoughts?

We know what you think of certain posters. Hope you won't criticise skewball again.

Anyway a genuine question. You asked someone why do they want 1 world championship. But why is it important to you, and others, that there are 2?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:Having 2 World Championships doesn't create confusion (or at least it shouldn't), but it does add another dimension into the problems the BDO face.
Looking back at the previous page, people are tying themselves in knots looking for some sort of equivalency to the situation the BDO are currently in regarding sponsors, TV deals, and getting the former to fund the latter.
I'll admit I've only skim-read it, but it looks like netball and British basketball were the best we could come up with, which is fair enough as long as you're happy ignoring the big, PDC shaped, elephant in the room.

Sponsors are (or were in the case of British basketball) prepared to take a punt and see if there's a market out there. They're prepared to do this, because they know if people want to watch these sports in this country, then theirs is the only game in town. You want to watch netball, here it is.
I know BT Sport have the NBA, which is fine if you live a nocturnal existence or are happy with highlight shows, but if you want live basketball at a civilised hour, the British league is what you have to watch.
Literally the only question is whether enough people actually want to watch these sports. It's that straightforward.

But that's not the position the BDO are in. Anyone wanting to watch darts has an alternative. And it's one that is light years ahead of the BDO in the way it goes about things.
Sponsors and broadcasters clearly aren't prepared to take a punt on the BDO, because recent history suggests if the general public want to watch darts they get Sky or stick ITV4 on.
The difference between the PDC and BDO is like night and day (I'm referring to the professionalism of the organisation, not the playing standard, before Oche and Paddy get on their hind legs).
This week my Facebook feed has been absolutely bombarded by the PDC with box office details for next years Premier League Exbo Tour, yet here we are having this conversation about Lakeside, because no-one in the BDO is prepared to tell us anything.
Why in the name of God would a sponsor want anything to do with an organisation like that?

Over the weekend I was channel surfing, and came across a rugby league game on Freesports. It was an amateur game from the 3rd or 4th tier of the sport. It was largely unwatchable. 26 fat blokes wheezing up and down a ploughed field, occasionally introducing a rugby ball into proceedings.
Christ knows who they'd got to pay for that, but they'd managed it.
The point is, they quite happily marketed it as "grass roots" and chucked it out there to see if any die hards would watch it.
Contrast that with the BDO continuing to claim their flagship event is a "World Professional Championship" to a general public who see a sufficient difference in class between the BDO and PDC, and come to their own, very different conclusion.
For as long as the BDO insist on fighting a war they cannot possibly win, sponsors (and by extension TV companies) are going to give them a wide berth.

I posted something about the TV battle being lost a couple of years ago because of the amateurism of the old board.

If anything things have got even worse than the Fishmarket debacle and the empty night at the WDT in Manchester featuring air guitars and Mrs Jacklin.

As was said then, the TV battle is lost and has been for years. Stick to the big opens and the BICC.

And yes, that is Mickey Dolenz in the crowd at the Monterey Pop gig.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

devosteve wrote:
oche balboa wrote:Skewball we know your position
But that doesn't make sense. Folks know we're you stand on a lot of issues. Are you only going to post 'brand new' thoughts?

We know what you think of certain posters. Hope you won't criticise skewball again.

Anyway a genuine question. You asked someone why do they want 1 world championship. But why is it important to you, and others, that there are 2?
GIves Darts its uniqueness
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Lakeside dates and BDO 2019 calendar

Post by Ginge »

Zeyes wrote:...
+1
Big Jock Knew
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Zeyes wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
MancheStar wrote:It would be a great bit of marketing for the BDO to plug. There best bet is to announce it to the darts world when everyone’s watching live.
And that's your problem right there.
What are the BDO going to do exactly? Put a press release on their website and Facebook page? Maybe another photo of Des with his new suit and beard?
Obviously Gary Robson is going to throw the winning double in his (meaningless) last group game, turn to the camera and yell, "And you know what? Lakeside's OOOOONNNNN!!!!!"
A perfectly viable scenario in the main.

However falls apart ,as Robbo has no chance of winning a game. :grin:

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loc ... d-13393877

Ross will be getting a slap from the Chairman....
Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Well he's wrong isn't he?

It was all announced 3 weeks ago according to Paddy......
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

With the worlds and the Euro Qschool overlapping I wonder how many are going to have a really bad game in the 2nd round.

Going to affect quite a few people
Men
Wesley Harms -
Michael Unterbuchner - Would say very likely going to Qschool
Richard Veenstra -
Chris Landman -
Willem Mandigers -
Jeffrey van Egdom -
Wouter Vaes -
Brian Løkken - Already does PDC events
Oliver Ferenc - Already does PDC events
Roger Janssen -
Krzysztof Kciuk- Attempted to qualify for PDC worlds

Women
Anastasia Dobromyslova - Ill put money on her being at Qschool
Aileen de Graaf
Sharon Prins
Karolina Podgórska
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I wonder if any of the above named players have contacted the PDC to see if they can do the UK one instead.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loc ... d-13393877

Ross will be getting a slap from the Chairman....
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:Well he's wrong isn't he?

It was all announced 3 weeks ago according to Paddy......
They told a poor Irish farmer but neglected to tell their most loyal player?

Just goes to show the 'Lakeside confirmed' that has been pedalled on certain sites is utter hearsay.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

But but....Pieter rang them up!!!! And everything!!!!
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Deta posted on fb how she didn't have a clue what was happening re the wc
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:But but....Pieter rang them up!!!! And everything!!!!
And he would have been told the same as you and others were but obviously thought it was enough for the exclusive, might still be correct though and that's the biggest issue, if I were a BDO player who has qualified for the Worlds I would be very concerned about the prize fund right about now.