Swedish Open & Classic 24-26 Aug 2018, Malmo.

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ChrisW
International

Re: Swedish Open & Classic 24-26 Aug 2018, Stockholm.

Post by ChrisW »

Semis:
Robson v Stafford
Larsson v Mandigers
Addicks Fan
County Player

Re: RE: Re: Swedish Open & Classic 24-26 Aug 2018, Stockholm.

Post by Addicks Fan »

The Master wrote:SWOP MEN

Denmark 41
Finland 00
Norway 10
Iceland 1
Lithuania 2

PDCNB Gothenburg

Denmark 8
Finland 5
Norway 10
Iceland 2
Lithuania 2
Latvia 1
Were any of those at the PDC event unable to play at the Swedish Open?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Duzza now 4 from 10 this year

ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Final:
Larsson v Robson
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

He won't gain any points even if he wins this as it's a Cat D event. Still plenty could happen becore the cut off
phil davies wrote:Looks like we will be seeing Robbo at the slam then.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Larsson 5-1 Robson
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Nearly 200 tweets from the BDO account this weekend. :omg:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote:Nearly 200 tweets from the BDO account this weekend. :omg:
Definitely over compensating now.
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Swedish Open & Classic 24-26 Aug 2018, Stockholm.

Post by Ginge »

phil davies wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:He won't gain any points even if he wins this as it's a Cat D event. Still plenty could happen becore the cut off
Hmm expected it be better than catD especially given the entries prize money must be awful for it.
The entries are only decent(ish) because people are still in town from the big event the day before.

See the Scottish Classic thread for an example of how a standalone Cat D event does in terms of turnout.
Big Jock Knew
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

ChrisW wrote:Larsson 5-1 Robson
Good weekend for the home players. Runner up mens open, winner mens classic, winners ladies pairs. Will this weekend have an impact on the Baltic/Scandinavian qualifier for Lakeside?

The Master
Superleague Player

Post by The Master »

Addicks Fan wrote:
The Master wrote:SWOP MEN

Denmark 41
Finland 00
Norway 10
Iceland 1
Lithuania 2

PDCNB Gothenburg

Denmark 8
Finland 5
Norway 10
Iceland 2
Lithuania 2
Latvia 1
Were any of those at the PDC event unable to play at the Swedish Open?

Only Razma I would say, maybe Dennis Nilsson aswell
tapsa
Superleague Player

Post by tapsa »

Swedish Crown (currency) is very low atm. That makes easily one 10 % difference when comparing last years money.

BTW competition was in Malmo, not in Stockholm as title says? That explains the number of Danes as it's only 40 minutes by train from Copenhagen.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

phil davies wrote:
Ginge wrote:
phil davies wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:He won't gain any points even if he wins this as it's a Cat D event. Still plenty could happen becore the cut off
Hmm expected it be better than catD especially given the entries prize money must be awful for it.
The entries are only decent(ish) because people are still in town from the big event the day before.

See the Scottish Classic thread for an example of how a standalone Cat D event does in terms of turnout.
Yeah I know that but with that amount of entries surely they have enough money to make it at least a C even a B. They know they are gunna get big entries so the prize fund must be awful.
Just over a grand which is in line with the Cat D requirements.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

tapsa wrote:Swedish Crown (currency) is very low atm. That makes easily one 10 % difference when comparing last years money.

BTW competition was in Malmo, not in Stockholm as title says? That explains the number of Danes as it's only 40 minutes by train from Copenhagen.
I had previously commented about location of Malmö as obviously the OP doesn’t know their Swedish geography. Also explains the nationality of participants as it was much closer to most Danes than Swedish plus good flight connections to Copenhagen for British and Dutch.

Crap prize money may be lack of sponsorship. From what I saw on YouTube stream only company logo visible was Scandic Hotels where the event was held, so their support may have been in kind by providing venue rather than cash for prize fund.

It does show though should these minor BDO events really exist any more, as we have recently seen with a number ending.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

malcy93 wrote:
tapsa wrote:Swedish Crown (currency) is very low atm. That makes easily one 10 % difference when comparing last years money.

I had previously commented about location of Malmö as obviously the OP doesn’t know their Swedish geography. Also explains the nationality of participants as it was much closer to most Danes than Swedish plus good flight connections to Copenhagen for British and Dutch.

Crap prize money may be lack of sponsorship. From what I saw on YouTube stream only company logo visible was Scandic Hotels where the event was held, so their support may have been in kind by providing venue rather than cash for prize fund.

It does show though should these minor BDO events really exist any more, as we have recently seen with a number ending.
This is the 1st year they've had a second ranking tournament for the men, and probably only the 4th year for the women. They can easily drop it if it makes no commercial sense.

The difference between the Swedish Open and the Finnish weekend is that the Swedish have a clear weekend, they have a Cat A ranking event near the end of the season, and it is much easier to get to for Brits and other Europeans. These days, with so many A+, A and B events in UK and Western Europe, there is little point in putting on two mid/lower ranking tournaments over a weekend in Scandinavia unless you can guarantee hundreds of locals. 50 or 60 travelling from elsewhere does help an event, and they just won't do it unless there are decent points/prize money.

only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

Addicks Fan wrote:
malcy93 wrote:

This is the 1st year they've had a second ranking tournament for the men, and probably only the 4th year for the women. They can easily drop it if it makes no commercial sense.

The difference between the Swedish Open and the Finnish weekend is that the Swedish have a clear weekend, they have a Cat A ranking event near the end of the season, and it is much easier to get to for Brits and other Europeans. These days, with so many A+, A and B events in UK and Western Europe, there is little point in putting on two mid/lower ranking tournaments over a weekend in Scandinavia unless you can guarantee hundreds of locals. 50 or 60 travelling from elsewhere does help an event, and they just won't do it unless there are decent points/prize money.

nail hit perfectly on the head
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

only85 wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:
malcy93 wrote:

Not much has changed. Didn't it used to be pairs on Sunday. Low prize money.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

They still have the pairs events. All that's changed is the money in/money out singles event has turned into a ranking event with guaranteed prize money. Given it is near the bare minimum, there is minimal extra risk, but how much benefit is open to debate!
ChrisW wrote:
only85 wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:
malcy93 wrote:

Not much has changed. Didn't it used to be pairs on Sunday. Low prize money.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Re: Swedish Open & Classic 24-26 Aug 2018, Malmo.

Post by Addicks Fan »

Actually I suppose it gives players more to play for in the Regional table, and another spot in the World Masters and Lakeside play-offs.

ChrisW
International

Re: Swedish Open & Classic 24-26 Aug 2018, Malmo.

Post by ChrisW »

Recording of the Men's Classic Final.
It was a 'Classic' :IIII: