The Master
Superleague Player

Re: 2019 Q-School

Post by The Master »

Maverick
Superleague Player

Post by Maverick »

Van der Meer not hit a 90 average all day...... so it’s a racing cert that he’ll hit one in the final lol
Robert Mitchell 17th March 1938 - 8th September 2018 Rest in Peace Dad , no more pain xxx
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Labanauskas does it!
Maverick
Superleague Player

Post by Maverick »

Fair do’s to the guy, needed to win and did the business.
Robert Mitchell 17th March 1938 - 8th September 2018 Rest in Peace Dad , no more pain xxx
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

Well done Darius, got there in the end! Michael, de Sousa and Kuivenhoven in those nervous 5th, 6th and 7th spots, van der Meer I guess has a card wrapped up, Rasztovits almost certainly not
The Master
Superleague Player

Post by The Master »

PDCNB takes 3 cards :D
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

malcy93
Pub Champion

2019 Q-School

Post by malcy93 »

hotspur wrote:
Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:41 pm
hotspur wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:34 pm Q School gets many of us fairly excited, but I have to say, like qualification for WSOD finals, GSOD and even the World Champs, it can come down to having a good run on the day, rather than the best players making it. The OOM does something to help level things out, but personally, I would like to see more cards via the Challenge Tour and less to Q School. Over a season, the cream will generally rise.
I agree, although this time there are fewer randomers on course to win a tour card, and the three who have won each day did well on the Development Tour which at least shows some level of consistency
Something for the PDC to look at though I feel. I'd add Development Tour as one to be given more Tour Cards / promotions based on end of season rankings too. One or two "wildcards" through knock-out tournaments for WSOD Finals, GSOD, and world champs is fine, but like with Q School I believe qualification via one off events should be limited. Around one quarter of Tour Card players coming through qualifiers is quite a large proportion in my opinion.
The friend of one of the youngsters in our office is trying to make the European golf tour. Think they have the right idea.

You have to move up the divisions of the tour so you don’t just get someone off the street turning up at qualifying and winning a main tour card with a flukely good qualifying event.

This guy was in the 3rd tier last year but did will enough in top X to get automatically promoted to the 2nd tier this year. However as well as some automatically being promoted up a level they have a good chunk of players at the bottom of one level playing against the next group down below the automatic qualifiers from the tour below. They then play off over 5 rounds (90 holes) and the top ones are in that level of tour the rest in the level below the following year.

So in darts you make the 30 who lost the cards play of against the top OOM from Challenge and Development Tours who didn’t automatically get cards. Split something like 20-10.

Then you play as aggregated points over 4 or 5 days with points for wins, so don’t even automatically give cards to winner on one day in case they blow up and lose first round other days as that doesn’t really make worthy of card. Want good consistent players.
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Darts isn't golf.
A bad darts player will turn up, play one short game, and leave.
A bad golfer will play two bad rounds and slow down other players.

Well done Labanauskas. Glad to see him make the tour. Should give a lot of people some tough games.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Has DBG won this yet?
TheSportsDean
Pub Champion

Post by TheSportsDean »

malcy93 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:57 pm
hotspur wrote:
Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:41 pm
hotspur wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:34 pm Q School gets many of us fairly excited, but I have to say, like qualification for WSOD finals, GSOD and even the World Champs, it can come down to having a good run on the day, rather than the best players making it. The OOM does something to help level things out, but personally, I would like to see more cards via the Challenge Tour and less to Q School. Over a season, the cream will generally rise.
I agree, although this time there are fewer randomers on course to win a tour card, and the three who have won each day did well on the Development Tour which at least shows some level of consistency
Something for the PDC to look at though I feel. I'd add Development Tour as one to be given more Tour Cards / promotions based on end of season rankings too. One or two "wildcards" through knock-out tournaments for WSOD Finals, GSOD, and world champs is fine, but like with Q School I believe qualification via one off events should be limited. Around one quarter of Tour Card players coming through qualifiers is quite a large proportion in my opinion.
The friend of one of the youngsters in our office is trying to make the European golf tour. Think they have the right idea.

You have to move up the divisions of the tour so you don’t just get someone off the street turning up at qualifying and winning a main tour card with a flukely good qualifying event.

This guy was in the 3rd tier last year but did will enough in top X to get automatically promoted to the 2nd tier this year. However as well as some automatically being promoted up a level they have a good chunk of players at the bottom of one level playing against the next group down below the automatic qualifiers from the tour below. They then play off over 5 rounds (90 holes) and the top ones are in that level of tour the rest in the level below the following year.

So in darts you make the 30 who lost the cards play of against the top OOM from Challenge and Development Tours who didn’t automatically get cards. Split something like 20-10.

Then you play as aggregated points over 4 or 5 days with points for wins, so don’t even automatically give cards to winner on one day in case they blow up and lose first round other days as that doesn’t really make worthy of card. Want good consistent players.
I like it. BDO players would have to have a route into the mix though otherwise you would prevent their top players switching e.g. Durrant.

If you said anyone ranked in BDO top 50, all those who lost cards, Challenge Tour top 50, Dev Tour top 25-30, and x from various world associations I'd be happy. Limit it to 256.
I use Twitter, occasionally.... https://twitter.com/TheSportsDean

I also blog occasionally... http://thesportsdean.blogspot.co.uk/
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Reminded of this for some reason.......

Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Scott Waites is going, never thought I would see the day

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/06/scott-wa ... p-8315099/
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 am Scott Waites is going, never thought I would see the day

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/06/scott-wa ... p-8315099/

You should keep the faith!
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

IT really does look like the end now for top end BDO.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Astonvilla wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 pm IT really does look like the end now for top end BDO.
You are presuming they will all walk away with cards?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:30 pm
Astonvilla wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 pm IT really does look like the end now for top end BDO.
It's all a lottery these days, but funnily enough it wasnt the week before Jamie Hughes played in it. Funny, that.
Big Jock Knew
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Players from 32 different countries entered the European Q School.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:30 pm
WIth the new relaxed BDO rules you could end up with quite a few going down the BDO route if they don't get through, like Hamilton & Newton rather than the Challenge Tour route. That I'm sure is the reason for doing it so we could end up with "Lakeside" having quite a few familiar faces. The problem of course is that they will probably lose the big names - the Durrant's etc as they have nothing to lose by giving Q School a go.
Which all comes back to where I would like the BDO to get to - Organising the 'Amateur' tour, dumping the WDT, Making the Masters a big County/News of the WOrld type event and still keep an end of year World Amateur Championships. (even if they can never quite bring themselves to call it that'
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

For those who don't get a tour card and continue on the bdo tour: it's going to make the bdo look 2nd rate. Especially if lakeside next year has a good number of q school failures.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.