2019 Q-School

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ssjsa
International

Re: Durrant confirms PDC move and goes to Q-School

Post by ssjsa »

At least now, he can put the speculation to bed and focus fully on defending his Lakeside title.

Great move by Glen, not only for himself but for darts fans as well.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
County Player

Post by 1205 »

"completed four meetings with PDC managements"

I wonder what he got out of those meetings.

There'll be so many of the top BDO semi-professionals* going to Q School, it should be a particularly interesting year.

* :D
Jonesy487
Feather Flights

Post by Jonesy487 »

If true, then it’s a great move for Glen Durrant

The guy looked at the GSOD in desperate need to be playing more on the big occasion. That’s the only way he can get better, beating up on the same players is only going to get him so far.

I wish him well, the PDC will be better for having him there.
clemy1989
The Ton Club

Post by clemy1989 »

Great news! Good luck Glen. Wonder what paddy mongoose and Oche etc think of it all. Will they be booing him at lakey
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Durrant confirms PDC move and goes to Q-School

Post by Ginge »

clemy1989 wrote:Great news! Good luck Glen. Wonder what paddy mongoose and Oche etc think of it all. Will they be booing him at lakey
They will have to boo most of the men's field, imo.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

I reckon he was just waiting for the lakeside contracts to be sent out (which they were recently) so he was 100% sure there was no clause in re withholding prize fund.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Jonesy487
Feather Flights

Re: 2019 Q-School

Post by Jonesy487 »

Chambord wrote:
ssjsa wrote:Durrant's latest update.
I wouldn't put any money on him winning Lakeside again this year. His mind will be all over the place and the 2 times he's won it he escaped some massive scares. It won't work again.
To be honest with the lack of depth in the BDO system, and his consistency, I’d be surprised were he not to make it a 3rd world title. I would only think an on-song Scott Waites could beat him over 11 sets right now.
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

clemy1989 wrote:Great news! Good luck Glen. Wonder what paddy mongoose and Oche etc think of it all. Will they be booing him at lakey
They hate durrant now, will only be supporting Robson, Montgomery and harms. #loyalty #BDO4Life
ChrisW
International

Re: RE: Re: Durrant confirms PDC move and goes to Q-School

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote:
They will have to boo most of the men's field, imo.
And the Ladies who had a go.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Although maybe players should just keep their traps shut until after Lakeside. Avoid the frosty stares from the old fogey county officials in the players bar.
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Jonesy487 wrote:
Chambord wrote:
I wouldn't put any money on him winning Lakeside again this year. His mind will be all over the place and the 2 times he's won it he escaped some massive scares. It won't work again.
To be honest with the lack of depth in the BDO system, and his consistency, I’d be surprised were he not to make it a 3rd world title. I would only think an on-song Scott Waites could beat him over 11 sets right now.

Lakeside final best of 13 sets ;-)

Well Smith-Neale proved that if Duzza is slightly off then he can be beaten so wouldn’t rule out Duzza not winning Lakeside again although clearly he’s a massive fav and someone like Smith-Neale will have to play inspired to beat him...
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Durrant confirms PDC move and goes to Q-School

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Made a point to say he’s ok financially now so maybe the worry is not there for him any more, he can go and see how he performsZ

Glad he’s made it clear as well so he can just focus on lakeside

Think he will walk qschool but I’m still not sure on what he can actually do in terms of the top of the game. I think he’s going to have to find another gear when the going gets tough to get out of the group of players in the 16-32 ranking and get to the larger ends of tournaments
Jonesy487
Feather Flights

Post by Jonesy487 »

DavidB wrote:
Jonesy487 wrote:
Chambord wrote:

Lakeside final best of 13 sets ;-)

Well Smith-Neale proved that if Duzza is slightly off then he can be beaten so wouldn’t rule out Duzza not winning Lakeside again although clearly he’s a massive fav and someone like Smith-Neale will have to play inspired to beat him...
Best of 13 it is! Absolute brain fade!

It’s a massively open tournament to be honest, but I fancy Durrant to win the BDO worlds and go on and get a tour card. He’s a great player who will get better the more he gets challenged. Fair play to him (and McGeeney if he switches) for stepping outside their comfort zone and giving it a go. No better time to do it.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Read a really interesting article by The Darts Oracle on Twitter.

He calculated the chances of individual players getting through Q School based on his ELO rankings and historical performance at Q School.

Think he had Durrant at roughly a 60% chance of qualifying.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: 2019 Q-School

Post by Ginge »

ssjsa wrote:Read a really interesting article by The Darts Oracle on Twitter.

He calculated the chances of individual players getting through Q School based on his ELO rankings and historical performance at Q School.

Think he had Durrant at roughly a 60% chance of qualifying.
Utter garbage. How can you calculate someones chances based on those 2 criteria when they haven't even been to Q School before.
Big Jock Knew
Jonesy487
Feather Flights

Post by Jonesy487 »

phil davies wrote:
Jonesy487 wrote:
Chambord wrote:
I mean he lost to Smith-Neale over a long distance but I sort of get your point.

I would be very very suprised if someone other than the former champs in Durrant/Waites and Mitchell won it.
Agreed. Andy Hamilton could be a sleeper if he gets a good draw early on (I think he has to start in the preliminary round though?)
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Not sure why you would need 4 meetings with the PDC...would have thought no meetings were needed as he just needed to register for QS....unless they have plans to offer him a card automatically if he wins Lakeside again ?...
I think his consistency and focus would mean if he gets a card he would do really well...the hardest part is actually getting through the lottery of QS in the first place....it was all a bit of a farce and sheer lottery last year..far too many players for too few spots all dependent on the lUckfield.of the early draw...he will be the best player there but still no guarantees on the days..
PVDarts501
Steady Sixties

Post by PVDarts501 »

trotter wrote:Not sure why you would need 4 meetings with the PDC...would have thought no meetings were needed as he just needed to register for QS....unless they have plans to offer him a card automatically if he wins Lakeside again ?...
I think his consistency and focus would mean if he gets a card he would do really well...the hardest part is actually getting through the lottery of QS in the first place....it was all a bit of a farce and sheer lottery last year..far too many players for too few spots all dependent on the lUckfield.of the early draw...he will be the best player there but still no guarantees on the days..
Managements within the PDC...

Modus, MDA Promotions for example...
clemy1989
The Ton Club

Post by clemy1989 »

I do wonder if the pdc will increase the amount of tour cards on offer. Add another 48 to allow for the influx. Only makes 1 more round on pro tour events.
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

trotter wrote:Not sure why you would need 4 meetings with the PDC...would have thought no meetings were needed as he just needed to register for QS....unless they have plans to offer him a card automatically if he wins Lakeside again ?...
I think it would cause a lot of upset if Durrant was to be offered a tour card should he win Lakeside, Few enough tour cards on offer as it is and also im sure a player of Durrant's ability would do well enough over 4 days at Q-School to win a card.