Heard a rumour? - Post it here
County Player

Re: 2019 Q-School

Post by 1205 »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 pm
1205 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:29 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:53 pm
1205 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:08 pm
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:23 pm Seen it mentioned a few times in the last few weeks from people that would know and seen Tony mentioned on here.

I think the number of women entering qschool is the guide to see how many women are willing to switch sides, being that if they got a tour card they would no longer be able to enter ladies events in the bdo. I’ve said it before that if that number gets anywhere near say 64 I can see Barry offering them ladies challenge events.

I also think last year was the incentive to show the ladies what they could do and to see how much the media would pick it. Most media ran stories about it and over 200 entered the qualifiers, I can 100% see them using the same excuse as tour card holders saying “our sponsors don’t want the ladies qualifiers entering events by different organisations”
Ashton and Dobromyslova qualified, got 1 televised game at the PDC World Championships and then disappeared again.
They each got 7.5k and the rest of the women got _nothing_.

If the PDC is asking them to make a decision that would have a negative impact on the BDO women's darts, they'd need to do a lot more than 2 floor events behind closed doors, and 2 spots at Alexandra Palace.

Hearn has made it clear that there won't be a separate PDC women's tour, so if they _really_ want to support women's darts, they'll do no more than up the exposure on the women's qualifiers.
Yeah! That bastard Hearn only gave some BDO players £15K.

Why isn't he giving more to an organisation that he's not involved with?

It's outrageous!!
I'm not critical of what the PDC did. In fact, I think it was great. But that's the _only_ thing they do for the women's game.

By not blocking them from playing both Championships they _added_ to the women's game.
But if they block them from playing both Championships then they would also _subtract_ something from the women's game by diminishing the competitiveness and value of the Women's World Championship.
That would putting the 2 qualifiers in a difficult position, could only cause animosity and would be likely to see more of the top female players skip the qualifiers.

I don't think the PDC are stupid enough to do that, and I think that any rumour that they'll do it is total bollocks.
I dont think any female in the BDO is stupid enough to even consider not going to the PDC qualifier if they gave you a choice.

Guaranteed 7.5K and the most exposure and media interviews they have ever got, Lisa was front and center of all promotion the week before the worlds.

and your point makes zero sense because 5 of the top 6 ranked ladies have signed up for Qschool, saying they would turn their back on the BDO if they got a card.
There's a huge difference to qualifying for and being on the tour, with more opportunity for exposure, and playing 1 game at the PDC World Championship in exchange for not playing the BDO Championships.
Last edited by 1205 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:03 pm I see the talk on BDOF is if 3 of the 4 semi finalists that have gone to Qschool get a tour card will the 8 invites for the BDO for the grand slam change?

I think it was inevitable after the performance of the BDO lads last year.
I though it was pretty obvious that there would be only 7 invites available to the BDO select after Paula has been gifted hers
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

1205 wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 pm
1205 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:29 pm
DavidOwen67 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:53 pm
1205 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:08 pm Ashton and Dobromyslova qualified, got 1 televised game at the PDC World Championships and then disappeared again.
They each got 7.5k and the rest of the women got _nothing_.

If the PDC is asking them to make a decision that would have a negative impact on the BDO women's darts, they'd need to do a lot more than 2 floor events behind closed doors, and 2 spots at Alexandra Palace.

Hearn has made it clear that there won't be a separate PDC women's tour, so if they _really_ want to support women's darts, they'll do no more than up the exposure on the women's qualifiers.
Yeah! That bastard Hearn only gave some BDO players £15K.

Why isn't he giving more to an organisation that he's not involved with?

It's outrageous!!
I'm not critical of what the PDC did. In fact, I think it was great. But that's the _only_ thing they do for the women's game.

By not blocking them from playing both Championships they _added_ to the women's game.
But if they block them from playing both Championships then they would also _subtract_ something from the women's game by diminishing the competitiveness and value of the Women's World Championship.
That would putting the 2 qualifiers in a difficult position, could only cause animosity and would be likely to see more of the top female players skip the qualifiers.

I don't think the PDC are stupid enough to do that, and I think that any rumour that they'll do it is total bollocks.
I dont think any female in the BDO is stupid enough to even consider not going to the PDC qualifier if they gave you a choice.

Guaranteed 7.5K and the most exposure and media interviews they have ever got, Lisa was front and center of all promotion the week before the worlds.

and your point makes zero sense because 5 of the top 6 ranked ladies have signed up for Qschool, saying they would turn their back on the BDO if they got a card.
There's a huge difference to being on the tour, and playing 1 game in exchange for not playing the BDO Championships.
But the fact they are going says that if push came to shove they would choose the pdc over the bdo

And my point still stands, I don’t believe a single female darts player is dumb enough to turn down the money and exposure of playing in the pdc worlds over going to the bdo worlds
Arranmore180
Feather Flights

Post by Arranmore180 »

trotter01 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 pm I'm with John Lowe on the Durrant issue...I think a 3 time successive Lakeside winner should be offered a card...no arguments.
I hope he gets one..and Williams..and Waites..and Jamie Hughes and Menzies....there was so much dead wood got cards in the past couple of Q Schools I really hope cards are won by serious players with serious prospects of getting to the business end of Tour events and going on to get into TV events..but I honestly feel a special case should be made for Durrant as a one off..
Glen is a brilliant player but I don’t think you can make exemptions, The reason any sports organisation gives a Wildcard is to draw crowds, most PDC events are sold out.I’m a darts fan,I don’t care what organisation they play in but rules are rules. I’d love to see Glen on the PDC but I think it would be unfair to give him a Wildcard.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

phil davies wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:14 pm
Kyeavfc wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 pm
phil davies wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:00 pm
trotter01 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 pm I'm with John Lowe on the Durrant issue...I think a 3 time successive Lakeside winner should be offered a card...no arguments.
I hope he gets one..and Williams..and Waites..and Jamie Hughes and Menzies....there was so much dead wood got cards in the past couple of Q Schools I really hope cards are won by serious players with serious prospects of getting to the business end of Tour events and going on to get into TV events..but I honestly feel a special case should be made for Durrant as a one off..
Serious players? Jamie Hughes wasn’t even good enough to finish in the top 10 of the challenge tour OOM. Plenty of players better than him at Q school.

Durrant, Waites and Williams should all be good enough over 4 days to win one. Hope Menzies wins one too as I love watching him play.
Did Hughes miss a number of CT due to qualifying for ET? I think he will get a card not sure there’s 18 players who will be at QS who are currently better than him. Should be an interesting QS and hopefully some fresh faces get there cards.

He missed one weekend. But in the 16 events he was in other than winning one event as well as one semi and one quarter his results in the other 13 were god awful. In 7 of them he made zero money and in a further 3 he only got £50 for reaching the last 64. Their is most definetly 18 players better than him at Q school not that means that he won’t be good enough on one day to win one. I won’t be selecting him for the comp however put it that way.
It's an odd one, relatively speaking Hughes struggled on the Challenge Tour, but he also did fairly well in the few tour events he did get to play on. There are plenty of tour card winners last year who won less than Hughes, and that was playing on the tour the whole year. If he does get on the tour this year, I'd expect him to do well again, winning the tour card is the hard part (though I tentatively expect him to do it this time)
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

Anyone who won a tour card over one year ago has either lost it, or played well enough to retain it for another year at least. Sure, there were a few no-hopers who lucked out last year, but not that many. And no, Duzza does not deserve to be parachuted into the PDC without earning his place, he definitely should win his tour card of course, but this ain't the mid-2000s we're talking about, Duzza is no van Barneveld, and the BDO is a shadow of its former self
Maverick
Superleague Player

Post by Maverick »

I agree entirely Duzza has earned a card by being a three time champion , but, Barry Hearn has obviously decided to dig his heels in this time.
Robert Mitchell 17th March 1938 - 8th September 2018 Rest in Peace Dad , no more pain xxx
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

I hope Durrant wins a card but he does not deserve to be handed a free one. The PDC dont owe the bdo players a living. sound familiar ?
If you give a free tourcard to a Lakeside winner you are acknowledging that durrant in this case is a "top player who is too good for Q School"

Look at how people even made claims that there was only 2 people in the world better than Bunting because he won Lakeside, and he was shown up to be not a top 16 player
Durrant is/was a top player in the BDO, but does not mean he will be one in the PDC, time will tell.
If Durrant is indeed this top player then Q-school should be no problem to him, and he can compete with every one on a level playing field.

If the PDC gave favoritism to certain players you know there would others crying about that.
Same rule should apply to all , be it men , women, pdc , bdo,
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Quite right.
No way should he be given special dispensation.
That ship sailed ages ago
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

We can argue whether or not Duzza "deserves" to be gifted a tour card all we like, but the equation is actually very simple.
Do the PDC need Duzza more than Duzza needs the PDC? If they don't (which is the correct answer), then Barry won't be changing his rules. He's been pretty unequivocal about this for some time now, and he won't be changing his mind unless he's absolutely certain it's worth his while financially.
I'm not sure this is anything personal against Duzza, by the way. It's just Barry feels he's got the PDC is a place now where it really doesn't matter whether anyone moves across or not.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Garry Murphy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:00 am I hope Durrant wins a card but he does not deserve to be handed a free one. The PDC dont owe the bdo players a living. sound familiar ?
If you give a free tourcard to a Lakeside winner you are acknowledging that durrant in this case is a "top player who is too good for Q School"

Look at how people even made claims that there was only 2 people in the world better than Bunting because he won Lakeside, and he was shown up to be not a top 16 player
Durrant is/was a top player in the BDO, but does not mean he will be one in the PDC, time will tell.
If Durrant is indeed this top player then Q-school should be no problem to him, and he can compete with every one on a level playing field.

If the PDC gave favoritism to certain players you know there would others crying about that.
Same rule should apply to all , be it men , women, pdc , bdo,
Flip side to that the PDC could see Durrant get even better. We’ve seen it with others.

Think people are forgetting about bunting and the fanfare he came with. Even winning a PDC title in his first few weeks. He has done well but not been close to a major. I’ve seen stats where it’s been best average since Bunting etc. Durrant hasn’t exactly done loads at the GSOD to show he can win a PDC major.

Only time will tell though
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 am We can argue whether or not Duzza "deserves" to be gifted a tour card all we like, but the equation is actually very simple.
Do the PDC need Duzza more than Duzza needs the PDC? If they don't (which is the correct answer), then Barry won't be changing his rules. He's been pretty unequivocal about this for some time now, and he won't be changing his mind unless he's absolutely certain it's worth his while financially.
I'm not sure this is anything personal against Duzza, by the way. It's just Barry feels he's got the PDC is a place now where it really doesn't matter whether anyone moves across or not.
They do not
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Well, today is the day....will Walter Mitty be entering Q School before the deadline?
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Duzza's attempt at Q School making the papers.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:03 pm I see the talk on BDOF is if 3 of the 4 semi finalists that have gone to Qschool get a tour card will the 8 invites for the BDO for the grand slam change?

I think it was inevitable after the performance of the BDO lads last year.

No you are hoping it is
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I would assume the PDC were pissed off the BDO didnt send Ashton (Robson added fek all), especially after her performance on the Ally Pally stage a few weeks back.

Wouldnt be surprised if they make a change, but then again they probably wont.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

You would think they would correct it this year and send Suzuki.
Ashton will be having another rant.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Yes I agree Ashton should have been there. I think that will be addressed this year. Every single year we have a TSOD user saying “it’s the last year of BDO invites” etc

Sky was responsible for changes to the GSOD.

oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

As for performance. One player from the BDO got to the last 8 for the last 2 years . If there was a case to rid of the bdo then it was in the years of 2014-2016

Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

If it does ever revert to a PDC-only event, then the crying on Twitter and Fanatics will be something else.
Big Jock Knew