PDC Premier League 2019

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Skewball
International

Re: PDC Premier League 2019

Post by Skewball »

phil davies wrote:
Murphio wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:39 pm Cracking call imo. Webster and Anderson added to the event when they got guest spots for Mardle. People complain the Premier League is stale and just a glorified exhibition and moan like feck when it is mixed up a bit.
I don’t think anyone would have a problem at f no points were won in these matches but as it stands it’s an idiotic decision by the PDC.
It's not a big deal, not idiotic at all , keeps those matches interesting.
Tommy T-Rex
The Ton Club

Post by Tommy T-Rex »

Hearn's Circus rolls on. This is what you get when things are run by a dictator and not a democratically elected board. Why not give one of the fantastic lady players a chance or a disabled player? Not enough £ notes in it for Hearn that's why. I would much rather see thee highest ranked county player given a chance in their home towns Premier League but we all no Hearn would never allow the possibility of his golden boys getting exposed!
O C
Superleague Player

Post by O C »

Skewball wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:48 pm Very good idea, great for TV in the respective countries, especially Max Hopp. The players will just have to suck it up and try and win with regards the points issue.
Good experience for the 9 players and give them a taste of what to expect if they eventually qualify
Agreed, I like what they've done. It will make what usually becomes a bit boring much more interesting. I'm sure the contenders are excited about it too!
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

I'm.more likely to watch some weeks now...it's a very good decision...surprising but good and better than a direct replacement ..and it's also good there are points on offer...they will feel like meaningful matches which they wouldn't have done with no points on offer...well done to whoever came up with the idea
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Luck of the draw: Rob Cross v Jeffrey de Zwaan as a cut-off game.
trotter01
Pub Champion

Post by trotter01 »

1205 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:36 pm Luck of the draw: Rob Cross v Jeffrey de Zwaan as a cut-off game.
Still think if you come 9th you haven't got any complaints regardless of the one match against the wildcard you get..
billyd
Pub Champion

Post by billyd »

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but don't you think adding an incentive for both players (more money vs points) avoids the chance of match fixing?

Anyway in my view it's a good decision and a free hit if it doesn't work out. People moan about seeing the same players week in week out, shouldn't be moaning about seeing a Whitlock shafting every week. Yes some decisions on players are abit ropey, but it's all about personal opinion. Abit ironic from Barney on Twitter saying it's a great idea and should do it from now on, imagine if it was him that missed out being the 10th player instead?
County Player

Post by 1205 »

billyd wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:18 pm Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but don't you think adding an incentive for both players (more money vs points) avoids the chance of match fixing?

Anyway in my view it's a good decision and a free hit if it doesn't work out. People moan about seeing the same players week in week out, shouldn't be moaning about seeing a Whitlock shafting every week. Yes some decisions on players are abit ropey, but it's all about personal opinion. Abit ironic from Barney on Twitter saying it's a great idea and should do it from now on, imagine if it was him that missed out being the 10th player instead?
Barney won't ever be the 10th player again. What he means is "If I change my mind and keep my tour card, will you give me a wildcard for Premier League Rotterdam?"
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

BeppeBergomi
The Ton Club

Post by BeppeBergomi »

trotter01 wrote:
1205 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:36 pm Luck of the draw: Rob Cross v Jeffrey de Zwaan as a cut-off game.
Still think if you come 9th you haven't got any complaints regardless of the one match against the wildcard you get..
+1

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

billyd wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:18 pm Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but don't you think adding an incentive for both players (more money vs points) avoids the chance of match fixing?

As if Barney was ever going to miss out!
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Garry Murphy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:21 pm
Ginge wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:44 pmFarce.
it was a farce long before that.

Giving a spot to barney in the first place proved it was a meaningless exbo.
Adding these players wont make it any less or more .

The PL is only to make money for the PDC, no one really believes its a proper major
To be fair, in the pantheon of meaningless PDC events, the Premier League is far from the #1, yes it's a gimmick, yes it can be boring at times, but it's also a greater challenge than most events, and the players sure as hell want to be involved
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

View from Haigh of the Metro.
It might make the playing field uneven, there will be some disappointed players and some fans will whinge, but this will keep people talking, interest levels high and column inches filled. Certainly more so than Whitlock being picked and finishing eighth, just like he did last year.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:42 am View from Haigh of the Metro.
It might make the playing field uneven, there will be some disappointed players and some fans will whinge, but this will keep people talking, interest levels high and column inches filled. Certainly more so than Whitlock being picked and finishing eighth, just like he did last year.
can't argue with that.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

CHRIS DOBEY will make a dream come true on Thursday when he makes his Unibet Premier League debut in front of his hometown crowd at Newcastle's Utilita Arena.

Dobey was chosen as one of nine 'contenders' to replace the injured Gary Anderson in the opening nine nights of the Premier League campaign.

The 28-year-old will be the hometown hero on Thursday's opening night in Newcastle as he makes the transition from a face in the crowd to Premier League contender.

"Obviously it was a massive shock when I found out, I couldn’t believe it at first," said Dobey.

"I’ve been to the Premier League in Newcastle many times as a fan, so to now have the chance to go up there and play really is a dream come true.

"This is an amazing opportunity for me to show the world what I’m about in front of my hometown crowd, it will be unreal to perform in front of friends and family on such a big stage.

"I’m playing well, my confidence is sky high at the minute so I will go into the game playing off confidence."

Dobey will take on two-time televised title winner Mensur Suljovic on Thursday in the third game of the night, and is feeling confident about his chances of causing an upset.

"I’ve got nothing to lose, it’s all a new experience for me so I’m going to go out there and give it my best shot," Dobey added.

"There’s no reason why I can’t go out there and win the game if I play how I know I can, I’ll make sure I prepare right for it and once I get up there I will treat it like any other match.

"I used to struggle playing against Mensur but I’ve got to grips with that now and the last time we played each other I came from 3-0 down to beat him. Hopefully Thursday will see the same outcome without me going 3-0 behind!"

Thursday night could open a lot of opportunities for myself so I’m just looking forward to getting up there and giving a good account of myself.

Darts' widest-reaching tournament will see 17 nights of action held from February-May, broadcast live on Sky Sports and worldwide through the PDC's broadcast partners, and through PDCTV-HD for Rest of the World Subscribers.

2019 Unibet Premier League Fixtures:
Night One - Thursday February 7
Utilita Arena, Newcastle
James Wade v Raymond van Barneveld
Gerwyn Price v Daryl Gurney
Chris Dobey v Mensur Suljovic
Michael van Gerwen v Michael Smith
Peter Wright v Rob Cross

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:03 am

The PL is only to make money for the PDC, no one really believes its a proper major
To be fair, in the pantheon of meaningless PDC events, the Premier League is far from the #1, yes it's a gimmick, yes it can be boring at times, but it's also a greater challenge than most events, and the players sure as hell want to be involved
of course they want to be involved....thats not my point.

Its major money, major exposure etc
but no matter how you spin it, its a non ranking exbo that is mainly only for a way for the PDC to generate income and I get that, but it is not what I consider a major as other proper majors like the worlds, Grand Prix, Matchplay and UK Open are.
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Here's the scoop

Hearn paid Anderson off to get Duzza in. Win-Win. Anderson rests his back and Hearn can promote the BDO Champion in the PDC premier League.

Spanner in the works - PDPA threw a wobbly and wanted either the stale Whitlock or Chisnall included.

Compromise - 1 night of Duzza is better than no nights of Duzza in Hearn's mind so as to appease the PDPA this "contenders" idea dreamed up meaning no need to consider ranking when picking the players.
UKDA 4 Life
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Garry Murphy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:17 pm

but no matter how you spin it, its a non ranking exbo that is mainly only for a way for the PDC to generate income and I get that, but it is not what I consider a major as other proper majors like the worlds, Grand Prix, Matchplay and UK Open are.
I definitely have the Premier League higher than, say, the Euros even though that's ranked, and have it roughly on a par with the UK Open or the Players Championship finals
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:07 pm

I definitely have the Premier League higher than, say, the Euros even though that's ranked, and have it roughly on a par with the UK Open or the Players Championship finals
Unranked tournaments like the Premier League and World Series are exhibitions. It's money, and players might want to do well against the other top players, but losses aren't going to have them sweating like losses in a ranking tournament.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

1205 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:40 pm
Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:07 pm

Unranked tournaments like the Premier League and World Series are exhibitions. It's money, and players might want to do well against the other top players, but losses aren't going to have them sweating like losses in a ranking tournament.
You say that, but it's ruined more than one player in the past. No doubt the financial side of things is a big deal for them, but I'm sure the likes of Mardle and Webster were sweating like fuck when they were struggling along in the Premier League. Plus you have players like Barney and (until recently) Gando, who, rightly or wrongly, always seemed to be able to raise their game for the Premier League too