Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Re: World Masters

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

el_ringo wrote:
Sally wrote:
DavidB wrote:
Great pictures Sally!!!
Just the 30 years between them, after and before!
They should really have let Bob keep that original trophy after his (now) inequable hatrick
With the way the BDO is going he'll be able to buy it as they'll have to sell everything else of to sustain a prize fund ;-)
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

BlueSpark wrote:Since they seeded the top 16, it has totally devalued it to the point where hardly anyone bothers attending it.
Don't get me wrong, winning it from the first round is still a great achievement, whoever it is. Makes Bobs achievement all the more remarkable.
Wasn't it one of the games in the comp he weighed in a ridiculous amount of big finishes?
If it didn't continue then I am sure it wont be missed for long.

Wasn’t that the World Matchplay??

I think the event would be missed within the darts world for sure, given all that’s been noted in this thread. The argument of no one outside of the darts world miss it doesn’t stick - who outside of the rugby world knows anything about the Calcutta cup, for example!
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

nikkiboy wrote:
Ginge wrote:The only man to legitimately win it three times in a row, no less.

**starts stopwatch**
No arguments from me, Wolfie's was an achievement but pales against the open and unified field that was there when Bob did it.

Out of interest and I’m sure Sally could answer, in Bob’s day was the event played in 16 groups with a seed in each group or just a straight ko draw with seeds kept apart until the later stages?
clemy1989
The Ton Club

Post by clemy1989 »

In terms of the PDC's own "Masters" event. Thats easily rectified, either swap it straight out for the World Master event. Or keep that one and call it the "UK Masters"
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Sally wrote:
DavidB wrote:
Sally wrote:
DavidB wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:If the Masters was scratched, I am sure hardly anyone will care.
It means nothing.

The actual trophy alone sure means something?? Has to be the best trophy in the game, no??
E92C4851-17C6-4614-8A4B-BF582C8EEED7.jpeg

Great pictures Sally!!!
Just the 30 years between them, after and before!

1987 and 2017??
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

clemy1989 wrote:In terms of the PDC's own "Masters" event. Thats easily rectified, either swap it straight out for the World Master event. Or keep that one and call it the "UK Masters"

Could the PDC get involved with Winmau or does their Unicorn tie-in make this impossible??
clemy1989
The Ton Club

Post by clemy1989 »

Good question, there's clearly some room for manouver as many players are sponsored and us Winmau Darts. I guess a sticking point could be the dartboard itself as im sure Unicorn will have some exclusivity clause for televised events minimum.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

BlueSpark wrote:Since they seeded the top 16, it has totally devalued it to the point where hardly anyone bothers attending it.
Don't get me wrong, winning it from the first round is still a great achievement, whoever it is. Makes Bobs achievement all the more remarkable.
Wasn't it one of the games in the comp he weighed in a ridiculous amount of big finishes?
Back in the 1980s it was a quick fire format.

I'm in favour of everyone starting from the start, What also the world masters brings is all the open winners from across the globe. Its a unique competition in its own right. It should survive and if you are looking for a competition to bin off its the World Trophy
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

The BDO at top level is the World Champs and The World Masters...they should do all they can to keep these two.

The World Trophy was a vanity exercise brought in to try and keep players and has never worked and basically cost a fortune....it has no history and would not be missed...keeping it wouldn't stop any players moving so theye can bin that....but they should put all their focus into trying to secure sponsorship and TV coverage for the Worlds and Masters..that's the history of the BDO...not that that means much in today's climate with sponsors and broadcasters
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Ginge wrote:The trophy can be as nice as it wants to be, The Gold Cup has an absolutely huge trophy awarded yet who outside of darts geeks on forums and county darts players will know about it?

A nice shiny trophy wont get a TV deal or a sponsor interested, sadly. If they are struggling maybe its time to scale the event back.
Well, based on who won it this year, I'm guessing @poolepirates and @bournemouthecho are well aware of it's existence now.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Van Gerwen won the last truly open event in 2006.
2007-2011 - only 8 seeds. Thornton came all the way from the first round in 2007.
So when Wolfie "won" his 3 in a row he wasn't just parachuted into the last 32 as 1 of 16 seeds In all three years he "won" (2008-10) he was one of only 8 seeds, so got parachuted straight to the last 16. Some players had already had to win five or 6 games to be there. Free prize money, free ranking points and a divided field in world darts. 12 matches for 3 titles or 25-30 matches.......?

No co-incidence that the Wolfie years were 3 of the 5 years that the seeds were given EVEN more advantage than ever.

Wolfie isn't fit to lace Bob's cowboy boots. Nowhere near the achievement. Not even in the same street.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
2007-2011 - only 8 seeds. Thornton came all the way from the first round in 2007.
So when Wolfie "won" his 3 in a row he wasn't just parachuted into the last 32 as 1 of 16 seeds In all three years he "won" (2008-10) he was one of only 8 seeds, so got parachuted straight to the last 16. Some players had already had to win five or 6 games to be there. Free prize money, free ranking points and a divided field in world darts. 12 matches for 3 titles or 25-30 matches.......?

No co-incidence that the Wolfie years were 3 of the 5 years that the seeds were given EVEN more advantage than ever.

Wolfie isn't fit to lace Bob's coyboy boots. Nowhere near the achievement. Not even in the same street.
Coyboy boots?
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Eh? Why would you do that?
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

DavidOwen67 wrote:

Wolfie isn't fit to lace Bob's cowboy boots. Nowhere near the achievement. Not even in the same street.

We discussed this last year.

Wolfie won more sets then Bob

Both Achievements were fantastic in their own right. David you speak of bitterness towards Adams

oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Anderson Start in the last 128

(All best of 3 sets)
L128- Freddy Laebens
L64- Willie Laird
L32- Stefan Lord
L16- Tony Payne
QF- Dave Whitcombe
SF- Chris Johns
F- Bob Sinnaeve

Anderson start in the last 128 (Prelim round beforehand)

L128- Ryszard Kaminik
L64- Tony Eagers
L32- Steven Scaife
L16- Tony Jenkinson
QF- Paul Reynolds
SF- Kevin Spiolek
F- John Lowe

L128- Dionissis Pilichos
L64- Ronald Wensveen
L32- Stephen Griffiths
L16- Magnus Caris
QF- Ronnie Baxter
SF- Mike Gregory
F- John Lowe

Its 21. And he won 45 Sets to achieve this and beat 7 seeds to win his 3 world masters. "Strong field" wasnt really true, His achievement was fantastic but so was adams who played more sets

Martin Adams

L16- Martin Atkins 3-2
QF- Steve Farmer 3-0
SF- Tony O'Shea 6-2
F- Scott Waites 7-6

1 Seed beaten and he won 19 Sets

l16- Magnus Caris 3-1
QF- Gino Vos 3-1
SF- Tony O'Shea 6-2
F- Robbie Green 7-6

1 Seed beaten and he won 19 sets

L16- Jan Dekker 3-2
QF- Scott Waites 3-1
SF- Martin McCloskey 6-3
F- Stuart Kellett 7-3

2 Seeds beaten and he won 19 sets

So Adams won more sets and played a 1/3 of his matches vs Seeds. More then Anderson. However both achievements are fantastic and should imo be regarded in equal measure

daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

oche balboa wrote:1986

Anderson Start in the last 128

(All best of 3 sets)
L128- Freddy Laebens
L64- Willie Laird
L32- Stefan Lord
L16- Tony Payne
QF- Dave Whitcombe
SF- Chris Johns
F- Bob Sinnaeve

Anderson start in the last 128 (Prelim round beforehand)

L128- Ryszard Kaminik
L64- Tony Eagers
L32- Steven Scaife
L16- Tony Jenkinson
QF- Paul Reynolds
SF- Kevin Spiolek
F- John Lowe

L128- Dionissis Pilichos
L64- Ronald Wensveen
L32- Stephen Griffiths
L16- Magnus Caris
QF- Ronnie Baxter
SF- Mike Gregory
F- John Lowe

Its 21. And he won 45 Sets to achieve this and beat 7 seeds to win his 3 world masters. "Strong field" wasnt really true, His achievement was fantastic but so was adams who played more sets

Martin Adams

L16- Martin Atkins 3-2
QF- Steve Farmer 3-0
SF- Tony O'Shea 6-2
F- Scott Waites 7-6

1 Seed beaten and he won 19 Sets

l16- Magnus Caris 3-1
QF- Gino Vos 3-1
SF- Tony O'Shea 6-2
F- Robbie Green 7-6

1 Seed beaten and he won 19 sets

L16- Jan Dekker 3-2
QF- Scott Waites 3-1
SF- Martin McCloskey 6-3
F- Stuart Kellett 7-3

2 Seeds beaten and he won 19 sets

So Adams won more sets and played a 1/3 of his matches vs Seeds. More then Anderson. However both achievements are fantastic and should imo be regarded in equal measure
Who's opinion was that then that you have copied?
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

DBG thats my own research.... stop crying you waste of skin

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Well, the finals were best of 5 sets for a start.

Would you rather play 7 matches or 4 matches?

Would you rather play from the start in a field where the all best players in the world were taking part or would you prefer to be parachuted into the last 16 of a field where a large number of the best players in the world no longer even take part?

Yes the match formats were a bit longer but Adams' achievement isn't even close.

Not only could he not win Lakeside until Barney finally left to join the other leading players in the PDC. He couldn't win the Masters either without Barney (and MvG) leaving as well as the seeding being straight to the last 16. It's not a coincidence that he won his 3 titles in those 5 most devalued of all Masters years.
Last edited by Deleted User on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveboygreen
Superleague Player

Post by daveboygreen »

oche balboa wrote:DBG thats my own research.... don't make me cry while im eating chicken skin
ok
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

DavidOwen67 wrote:Well, the finals were best of 5 sets for a start.

Would you rather play 7 matches or 4 matches?

Would you rather play from the start in a field where the all best players in the world were taking part or would you prefer to be parachuted into the last 16 of a field where a large number of the best players in the world no longer even take part?

Yes the match formats were a bit longer but Adams' achievement isn't even close.

Not only could he not win Lakeside until Barney finally left to join the other leading players in the PDC. He couldn't win the Masters either without Barney (and MvG) leaving as well as the seeding being straight to the last 16. It's not a coincidence that he won his 3 titles in those 5 most devalued of all Masters years.
Yes We know you dont like Martin Adams.

Adams achievement was fantastic and sorry to win an event 3 times (Regards of the format, Byes & Level of players) it's still a brilliant achievement and only an idiot would think otherwise.

Anderson achievement was superb in its right too.