Barney interview Gary will be pleased

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
JOEY
Pub Champion

Re: Barney interview Gary will be pleased

Post by JOEY »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Garry Murphy wrote:we are told barney is a big name by mardle and squinty eye clark.Some people actually believe that.
They tell people the PL destroyed mark webster, and spout all sort of nonsense that people believe.
That does not mean its true, and like the webster story, its bullshit.

From my many years on multiple forums, I can assure you barney is not as liked as some think, certainly not seen as a top player any longer and no surprise seeing as its almost 12 years since he won a major ranking tv event.

Being told that he is a top player who deserves a spot over and over dont make a lie the truth
With MVG who is far superior and also Dutch, the PL dont need Barney to sell tickets.

If the PL can survive without Taylor it most certainly can do without Barney
Hasn't won a floor event in 5 years either.

Since he won the PL in 2014 his only 4 wins have been a World Series event in Hong Kong and 3 World Cups where he was carried by MvG. Simply not the player he once was, an absolute top class act when he first joined the PDC.
Apart from the year Mvg lost matches maybe
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

JOEY wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:
Garry Murphy wrote:we are told barney is a big name by mardle and squinty eye clark.Some people actually believe that.
They tell people the PL destroyed mark webster, and spout all sort of nonsense that people believe.

From my many years on multiple forums, I can assure you barney is not as liked as some think, certainly not seen as a top player any longer and no surprise seeing as its almost 12 years since he won a major ranking tv event.

Being told that he is a top player who deserves a spot over and over dont make a lie the truth
With MVG who is far superior and also Dutch, the PL dont need Barney to sell tickets.

Since he won the PL in 2014 his only 4 wins have been a World Series event in Hong Kong and 3 World Cups where he was carried by MvG. Simply not the player he once was, an absolute top class act when he first joined the PDC.
Even if it's not true that MVG always carried him, who cares? It's first to 4 legs matches in a non-ranking event, hardly mean anything when you are looking at a players' achievements. And let's not forget Barney shouldn't have been in 2 of those World Cups at all.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

I've never been sure why Barney goes through with this charade every year. Everyone knows he's got no intention of doing the full tour next year whatever he says, and I struggle to believe he says it to make sure of his PL place.
The PL is simply a money making exercise, and is meaningless as a tournament. The wild cards are always going to be used on players who will sell tickets or get people watching on TV, and as far as I'm concerned that's fair enough. It's the whole point of them.
If the PDC and Sky still think Barney is enough of a draw to have him in there every year (and you don't become as big as either of those 2 companies without really knowing your market), then he'll be in regardless of what his plans for the rest of the year are.
There really can't be anyone who thinks "I'm not watching this year because Barney is in again, and he's not doing the full tour for the rest of the year", so it all seems a bit pointless to me.

Then again, I treat the PL as what it is, rarely bother watching it, and couldn't care less who they pick for it, so what do I know?
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:I've never been sure why Barney goes through with this charade every year. Everyone knows he's got no intention of doing the full tour next year whatever he says, and I struggle to believe he says it to make sure of his PL place.
The PL is simply a money making exercise, and is meaningless as a tournament. The wild cards are always going to be used on players who will sell tickets or get people watching on TV, and as far as I'm concerned that's fair enough. It's the whole point of them.
If the PDC and Sky still think Barney is enough of a draw to have him in there every year (and you don't become as big as either of those 2 companies without really knowing your market), then he'll be in regardless of what his plans for the rest of the year are.
There really can't be anyone who thinks "I'm not watching this year because Barney is in again, and he's not doing the full tour for the rest of the year", so it all seems a bit pointless to me.

Then again, I treat the PL as what it is, rarely bother watching it, and couldn't care less who they pick for it, so what do I know?
He probably just kidding himself at this point.

Doesnt want to retire, tells everyone hes going to do the tour next year, comes to January and he loses all interest again.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Garry Murphy wrote:we are told barney is a big name by mardle and clark.Some people actually believe that.

Barney will be in the PL
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Rotterdam probably just sold out both it's dates last week without a single name confirmed as appearing yet (other than perhaps the top 3 in the world and Barney isn't one of them), so the whole "he sells tickets" reason for him being picked is a load of bollox.
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

They know he’ll be there hence they brought tickets :grin:
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Barney is like those who joineed a a gym in January..they seriously believe they will go every week ad end up going twice and quickly think this is shit and go to the pub instead ..
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

26scored wrote:
JOEY wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:

Even if it's not true that MVG always carried him, who cares? It's first to 4 legs matches in a non-ranking event, hardly mean anything when you are looking at a players' achievements. And let's not forget Barney shouldn't have been in 2 of those World Cups at all.
Barney wasn't there on merit, still the better choice though.
WizardofozFan
County Player

Post by WizardofozFan »

No doubting what a talent he is, with one of the smoothest throwing actions anyone's ever seen. He has won loads of big titles, but each year he seems to enter less and less tournaments, suffers from diabetes, and is experiencing a tougher and more widespread talent pool of a PDC than ever before. If Ryan Joyce plays Barney on the tour, I have Joyce down as favourite, that's the difference between now and Barney of 10 years ago.

Compared to professionals like Peter Wright, Simon Whitlock, Ian White who are all top players who enter every event & have a passion for playing darts & winning matches, which has helped all three earn extremely respectable placings in the upper echelons of the game, it's something Barney just doesn't possess, not any more anyway. Needs a run to the semi-finals of the Worlds at the very least to get himself into the top 16!!