Post by Ginge »

"stern of ridicule" :D
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by ChrisW »

Bit of a nothing article if you ask me.
He was obviously buzzing after that 5-4 win from looking like he would go out.
Just a bit of 'don't write us/me off' statement.
I Ilistened to the interview with Arjan just now and he is not really angry or making a big deal about it.
Just said we enjoy the game and some media seem to write us off. So don't under estimate what we can do.

Anyway he will be gone after Thursday. No chance against Gando in the long format. :)
Last edited by ChrisW on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

This is from someone who loves Gerwyn Price
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

oche balboa wrote:This is from someone who loves Gerwyn Price
Yes but he is a professional knob.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Si Robin wrote: I think the difference between amateur and semi-professional in this case can be broken down to those who travel around chasing points/cash/rankings, and those who go to the odd weekend open where the get together is more important than winning a few games of darts.

You Buzz would be an amateur because you’ve not entered the open to gain points towards Lakeside qualification, whereas Harms, the semi-professional, would be at said open to tick a box, win some coin and get higher in the rankings in the hope of being seeded.
I completely see where you're coming from, but your definition still leaves a lot of grey area and appears to be based more on intention, rather than achievement (just because you go to an open with the intention of collecting some points and a reasonable payday doesn't mean it's going to happen).

Whilst I still prefer a simple professional / amateur definition, like Nikki's, I would say if you want to call yourself "semi-professional" you need to show you can regularly achieve at least (let's pick a totally arbitrary number) 20% of your annual income from darts.
If you can't do that, then you're really just an amateur who is lucky enough to be good enough at their hobby to earn from it.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Whilst I still prefer a simple professional / amateur definition, like Nikki's, I would say if you want to call yourself "semi-professional" you need to show you can regularly achieve at least (let's pick a totally arbitrary number) 20% of your annual income from darts.
If you can't do that, then you're really just an amateur who is lucky enough to be good enough at their hobby to earn from it.
How would you categorize Durrant?
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Harms has a point, after all he does play in the World Professional Championship...
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

phil davies wrote:
oche balboa wrote:This is from someone who loves Gerwyn Price
Don’t love him simply have met him several times unlike most people on this forum. He is a genuine down to earth bloke. Maybe Harms is a nice guy to I dont know as I’ve never met him in person but IMO he comes across as a bit of a knob.

Very contradictory post, there
Bag Carrier
County Player

Re: RE: Re: Harms criticizes media at Grand Slam

Post by Bag Carrier »

nikkiboy wrote:
Moongoose McQueeen wrote:
oche balboa wrote:Look at the pile on lead by Zapp & Phil Davies

Harms thought they should be given more respect it’s an honest view

Amateur has been used as a means of ridicule by PDC fanboys for years
Spot on, Chris
If you do it for a living you are a professional, if you fit it around your day job you are an amateur. It is not rocket science.

don't talk sense. Its not allowed
JFT97
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

oche balboa wrote:Quite but people have used the term amateur as stern of ridicule for years
Some have. But to be fair, at times, folks on 'the bdo side' of darts have played the superiority card.

Proper darts. Proper fans. The original and the best. Bdo have produced all the players.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

This is from someone who loves Gerwyn Price

Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

I don't know how 8 players who so far this year are guaranteed to earn £225,000 without taking exhibitions into account can be called amateur. Harms has every right to question it, particularly when its second meaning is a negative one, ie 'amateurish'. That use of the word certainly has applied to the BDO board over recent years...
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

devosteve wrote:
oche balboa wrote:Quite but people have used the term amateur as stern of ridicule for years
Some have. But to be fair, at times, folks on 'the bdo side' of darts have played the superiority card.

Proper darts. Proper fans. The original and the best. Bdo have produced all the players.
Yes everyone knows that....what's the point of your post?
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

ChrisW wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote: Whilst I still prefer a simple professional / amateur definition, like Nikki's, I would say if you want to call yourself "semi-professional" you need to show you can regularly achieve at least (let's pick a totally arbitrary number) 20% of your annual income from darts.
How would you categorize Durrant?
Durrant is probably unique in that by Nikki's definition (which I'm comfortable with) he's clearly an amateur, but is almost certainly in a unique position of earning more from his hobby than his job. As such, he doesn't really fit into any of these categories.
From a personal point of view I'd love to see him go to Q School, get a tour card, and have a proper go at playing full time. But it's entirely up to him and won't criticise him if he stays as he is.
I suppose he's a very lucky man, who clearly enjoys his job as much as his hobby and is prepared to make good money from both.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

He is a semi-Professional

devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
devosteve wrote:

Yes everyone knows that....what's the point of your post?
I don't know. I have been on the McEwans export. It's something to do with something. I think.

go bdo. Gonna grow I am told.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Seriously folks, it's a generalisation. Pdc are the professional side of darts whilst the bdo is seen as the amateur.

Folks are a bit touchy in bdo circles it seems.

is the bdo now full of 'snowflakes'?
Last edited by devosteve on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

For me I get more enjoyment watching someone giving there all & best as a hobby / interest/ pastime rather than someone getting paid to participate in a sport for a livelyhood it’s about being able to relate to the person for me,
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

THe GSOD is advertised on the basis that "amateurs get to compete with the top players. Thats how Harms will end up with his biggest payday of the year.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Astonvilla wrote:THe GSOD is advertised on the basis that "amateurs get to compete with the top players. Thats how Harms will end up with his biggest payday of the year.
In fact the PDC repeatedly says 'stars from both the PDC and BDO systems' without a mention of the word 'amateur' so I'm not sure where you get that from. UK Open is seen differently to the Grand Slam by the PDC, but obviously not the wider media.