Van Barneveld Announces Retirement Plans (PDC announcement)

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Van Barneveld Announces Retirement Plans (PDC announcement)

Post by Ginge »

teddybreak wrote:
Ginge wrote:
DavidB wrote:
ChrisW wrote:PL spot now guaranteed.

Just gonna say the same, let the seething here commence...
Nobody on here can argue he deserves a spot through his recent darting prowess, unless they were on the wind-up.
Point is the Premier League is an exhibition and wildcards aren't given out purely because one deserves one, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to let Sky hand out wild cards. They want players that attract crowds and viewers and money. Either by playing well on tv or combining that with something else. They don't want Steady Freddy's that don't do much in front of the camera's. If for example Taylor is interested in taking a wildcard next year they will give him one, despite being unranked and not having played competitively for over a year.
No they won't. Because you have to be a Tour Card holder to play in the Premier League. This has been discussed many, many times and Hearn has confirmed this rule.
Big Jock Knew
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Ginge wrote:
teddybreak wrote:If for example Taylor is interested in taking a wildcard next year they will give him one, despite being unranked and not having played competitively for over a year.
No they won't. Because you have to be a Tour Card holder to play in the Premier League. This has been discussed many, many times and Hearn has confirmed this rule.
I think its fair to say if Sky asked for any rule amending to enter a player their wishes would be accommodated
trotter
International

Re: Van Barneveld Announces Retirement Plans (PDC announcement)

Post by trotter »

Barney is a legend of darts..he was a legend in the BDO..his departure started the massive slide there..his arrival in the PDC started the rise of the PL from 800 capacity halls to 8000 capacity arenas ..his contribution to both sides and the effect his switch had to both sides cannot be over estimated.

However I think.he's right to go..he's a mere shadow of his old self now..he'll get PL spot and all the World Series events and he's obviously in the UK Open already...but he is likely to be out of the top 16 next year..he has to qualify for the Euro Tour events and he'll have to qualify for those and do the pro tour or else we won't see him in the Matchplay or the Grand Prix and then there is no guarantee of him being at Ally Pally either and his farewell will be a damp squib
I hope he commits to take his last year seriously..do the qualifiers for the Euro Tour..do the pro tour and if he does I'm sure he'll qualify for the TV events..it would be a shame if he just disappeared without seeing him at the main TV events
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Van Barneveld Announces Retirement Plans (PDC announcement)

Post by Ginge »

el_ringo wrote:
Ginge wrote:
teddybreak wrote:If for example Taylor is interested in taking a wildcard next year they will give him one, despite being unranked and not having played competitively for over a year.
I think its fair to say if Sky asked for any rule amending to enter a player their wishes would be accommodated
Peter Manley and the PDPA would blow a gasket. No chance.
Big Jock Knew
teddybreak
The Ton Club

Post by teddybreak »

Ginge wrote:
teddybreak wrote:
Ginge wrote:
DavidB wrote:
ChrisW wrote:PL spot now guaranteed.

Just gonna say the same, let the seething here commence...
Nobody on here can argue he deserves a spot through his recent darting prowess, unless they were on the wind-up.
Point is the Premier League is an exhibition and wildcards aren't given out purely because one deserves one, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to let Sky hand out wild cards. They want players that attract crowds and viewers and money. Either by playing well on tv or combining that with something else. They don't want Steady Freddy's that don't do much in front of the camera's. If for example Taylor is interested in taking a wildcard next year they will give him one, despite being unranked and not having played competitively for over a year.

Didn't know that. Point still stands though, Barney would have been in next year even if he wasn't going to retire.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

I have serious doubts that Barney would have got a PL spot this time if he didn't at least make the semis at Ally Pally...I think this was one year too far...but with his farewell of course Sky will want him...the programmes will be built around his farewell..
Vriezzer
Pub Champion

Post by Vriezzer »

Barney Army for life. He was the kick starter for (professional) darts in the Netherlands.
To survive, is to be victorious!
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

trotter wrote:I have serious doubts that Barney would have got a PL spot this time if he didn't at least make the semis at Ally Pally...I think this was one year too far...but with his farewell of course Sky will want him...the programmes will be built around his farewell..
I also had those doubts.

Barney has been poor this year, and has played his get out of jail free card.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Baswai
Brass Darts

Post by Baswai »

ssjsa wrote:
trotter wrote:I have serious doubts that Barney would have got a PL spot this time if he didn't at least make the semis at Ally Pally...I think this was one year too far...but with his farewell of course Sky will want him...the programmes will be built around his farewell..
I also had those doubts.

Barney has been poor this year, and has played his get out of jail free card.
It will be so ugly if he tumbles in the first or second round of the world championship. Also I hope he makes it far otherwise I have serious doubts Barney will even qualify for the 2019/20 world championship and it may wel be that the world series finals is his last tournament as player and he may enjoy the world championship as an analyst behind the desk.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

How likely is Barney to fall out of the Top 32 before next November?
Big Jock Knew
Baswai
Brass Darts

Post by Baswai »

Ginge wrote:How likely is Barney to fall out of the Top 32 before next November?
I think it is very likely, he only qualifies for the UK open and the players championship tournaments, which he probably does not want to play.

He has to make up about 70K in price money. Because he will have 85K on the order of merit by november 2019 and you probably need around 140K.

So if he does not have a good run at the world championship I do not see where he is getting the money from. Or he has to decided he want to try his luck at the euro tour events. But if it is your retiring year you probably do not want to throw more tournaments you are not really interested in.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Meanwhile...

barney sold his soul going to hearn - in reality he knew the lakey lads were catching up - lakey 2007 was the best darts tournament ive seen at the end f the day - best field ever assembled - barney went the circus for easy money - spent next decade as a money player on sky - to some like wolfie - theres more to it thn money -

robson
Big Jock Knew
JOEY
Pub Champion

Post by JOEY »

Less than a month ago Barney beat MVG on telly, on his day he can still do it and he's last few world champs have been great, if he gets to the last 16 v mvg again he's got a shot at beating him again, hopefully with no pressure now he will have a great last year. His rivalry v Phil is still the best the PDC has ever had, he deserves a good send off in the premier league

A true darting legend
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Apparently Barney was nailed on for the PL anyway.
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

the cynical part here says this has engineered for a while to give barney his swan song at the world series in amsterdam next year finals to his dutch audience , then a last world champs (course pure speculation)
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Just watched the interview he gave yesterday with Arjan van der Giessen.
Seems to think the PL is nailed on the way he mentions it.

Also said he will be remembered for his 5 tv 9 darters and his 8 World Titles.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I'll remember him for his marriage proposal to Taylor after the LVDC final that year.
Big Jock Knew
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

ChrisW wrote:Just watched the interview he gave yesterday with Arjan van der Giessen.

those 8 world titles shome mishtake shurley !!!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

only85 wrote:
ChrisW wrote:Just watched the interview he gave yesterday with Arjan van der Giessen.

those 8 world titles shome mishtake shurley !!!
I can't be arsed checking if he actually won it three times but for some reason the Dutch like to count the WDF World Cup Singles as a world title. Maybe it's that?
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Also interviewed Matt Porter who said there is no guarantees Barney will be in the PL.

Asked him what will you remember about Barney when he has gone.
'That final leg in the circus tavern against Phil"
"Meeting him for the first time in a hotel in Manchester when he came over to play in the PL and he was this huge star from the BDO who made a big impact."