2019 Lakeside World Professional Darts Championships 5-13 Jan 2019

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Deleted User

Re: 2019 Lakeside World Professional Darts Championships 5-13 Jan 2019

Post by Deleted User »

phil davies wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:30 pm I certainly wouldn’t be touching him at 50-1 but we shall see.
Exactly. He might draw Andrew Gilding.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

John Lowe & Mark Williams have called for Durrant to get a Tour Card directly

Would be deserved as Durrant has achieved a lot in the game more so then plentiful players who havent pulled up trees in the PDC but hold their tour card with ease. But i suspect It's never going to happen because Hearn set the rules and thats that
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

oche balboa wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:54 pm John Lowe & Mark Williams have called for Durrant to get a Tour Card directly

Would be deserved as Durrant has achieved a lot in the game more so then plentiful players who havent pulled up trees in the PDC but hold their tour card with ease. But i suspect It's never going to happen because Hearn set the rules and thats that
Just that's not the system. And why the entire feck would Mark Williams' opinion on darts change a single thing?
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

They’re both right though!

Wildcards are given in the snooker tour, same should happen in the PDC.
deathrides
Steady Sixties

Post by deathrides »

Wildcards aren't given in darts, so they shouldn't be in snooker

Wasn't Durrant already begging Barry for a card on twitter last year?
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

oche balboa wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 pm
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pm
oche balboa wrote:
foggs3355 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:29 pm I thought it was good couverage all week by Euro sport so let’s hope the next tv event on there is as good
Zapp hated it and has made phone calls
I thought the coverage was good, can’t fault the camera work and they even started doing video packages to big up the next match.

Don’t agree with the presentation on stage, thought it was amateurish and stupid to be up there whilst the dj is banging the lakeside classics

And I thought the commentating was horrendous all week, Nicholson is the worst darts commentator active at the minute by a mile and he spoilt the last few sets today, mace isn’t getting any better and rawling was getting dragged down.

As for Eurosport’s people, the interviewer got better as the week got on but combs didn’t seem to care by the end of the week, which is understandable because he was having to cover nfl the minute darts went off the air yesterday and is doing the same today.

Overal its been a good week but I do fear for what’s to come. If waites and duzza get their cards this weekend the bdo have lost their 2 main draws
Coverage was better then anything C4 & BBC came up with. Presenation on stage was good (Problem was when you were there you couldnt hear what they said) funny you dont mention the fact the PDC do that to open their show. Nicholson was very good, maybe he does like the sound of his own voice a little, but he was informative, knowledgeable and had great enthusiasm for Lakeside & BDO Darts, Mason was as solid as ever, Rawling is a professional dont think he was being dragged down. Commbs was professional and did a fine job, Georgie Bingham improved as the tournament went on.

"Fear" not really, we all know BDO is an indirect feeder to the PDC & a place for people who have gone to pot in the PDC to rediscover form. It has 3 TV tournaments now where the players in the system (Those who remain after Q School) can aim for. Its an alternative and its not a bad thing, People sometimes want the BDO to fold so they can troll social media or want to keep the flame alive that the BDO is on par with the PDC so they can discredit the BDO.

If the BDO gets better structure then its good for Darts. People have good choices and a change to qualify for TV events.
Well actually I dont like the PDC doing the stage presentation and I hate the PDC doing the interviews in the crowd, I think they are shit.

imo it didnt come close to what the BBC or C4 Did, the amount of time C4 spent doing VTs and packages was unhead of for BDO darts.

as for your other comments they dont really answer anything ive said. I know full well the BDO have a 3 year deal with eurosport now, my fear is that they are about to lose their world champion, their other big name in Waites and a ton of young and youth players. Bennet who just won the youth event at 13 was at a JDC event today and is signed up for that, Suzuki is signed up for the PDC asia tour starting this month. What does the BDO have left to show off if everyone with an ounce of talent is leaving for Qschool? For once I agree with Ian in that Des just signed the death warrant of the BDO.

The masters will be fine as its a special event doing something a little different by celebrating the floor players, but Lakeside is supposed to be the BDO showing off the best of the best..........and the WDT is going to be yet another empty hall with players nobody knows.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Blue Steel wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 pm Reading but no link. Interesting.
Posts now deleted
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Was ifm being serious when he said on fanatics that if a few of the top players qualify from q school then des will be responsible for destroying the bdo?

Never know if he is on the wind up.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:26 pm
imo it didnt come close to what the BBC or C4 Did, the amount of time C4 spent doing VTs and packages was unhead of for BDO darts.

What do you mean exactly about the VT’s?? I mean what we saw this year seemed in terms of video packages and interviews seemed the same and NOT broadcasting from the players bar has to be applauded given how many for example hated it.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

oche balboa wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 pm
Zapp Brannigan wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pm
oche balboa wrote:
foggs3355 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:29 pm I thought it was good couverage all week by Euro sport so let’s hope the next tv event on there is as good
Zapp hated it and has made phone calls
I thought the coverage was good, can’t fault the camera work and they even started doing video packages to big up the next match.

Don’t agree with the presentation on stage, thought it was amateurish and stupid to be up there whilst the dj is banging the lakeside classics

And I thought the commentating was horrendous all week, Nicholson is the worst darts commentator active at the minute by a mile and he spoilt the last few sets today, mace isn’t getting any better and rawling was getting dragged down.

As for Eurosport’s people, the interviewer got better as the week got on but combs didn’t seem to care by the end of the week, which is understandable because he was having to cover nfl the minute darts went off the air yesterday and is doing the same today.

Overal its been a good week but I do fear for what’s to come. If waites and duzza get their cards this weekend the bdo have lost their 2 main draws
Coverage was better then anything C4 & BBC came up with. Presenation on stage was good (Problem was when you were there you couldnt hear what they said) funny you dont mention the fact the PDC do that to open their show. Nicholson was very good, maybe he does like the sound of his own voice a little, but he was informative, knowledgeable and had great enthusiasm for Lakeside & BDO Darts, Mason was as solid as ever, Rawling is a professional dont think he was being dragged down. Commbs was professional and did a fine job, Georgie Bingham improved as the tournament went on.

"Fear" not really, we all know BDO is an indirect feeder to the PDC & a place for people who have gone to pot in the PDC to rediscover form. It has 3 TV tournaments now where the players in the system (Those who remain after Q School) can aim for. Its an alternative and its not a bad thing, People sometimes want the BDO to fold so they can troll social media or want to keep the flame alive that the BDO is on par with the PDC so they can discredit the BDO.

If the BDO gets better structure then its good for Darts. People have good choices and a change to qualify for TV events.
Well actually I dont like the PDC doing the stage presentation and I hate the PDC doing the interviews in the crowd, I think they are shit.

as for your other comments they dont really answer anything ive said. I know full well the BDO have a 3 year deal with eurosport now, my fear is that they are about to lose their world champion, their other big name in Waites and a ton of young and youth players. Bennet who just won the youth event at 13 was at a JDC event today and is signed up for that, Suzuki is signed up for the PDC asia tour starting this month. What does the BDO have left to show off if everyone with an ounce of talent is leaving for Qschool? For once I agree with Ian in that Des just signed the death warrant of the BDO.

The masters will be fine as its a special event doing something a little different by celebrating the floor players, but Lakeside is supposed to be the BDO showing off the best of the best..........and the WDT is going to be yet another empty hall with players nobody knows.

BBC treated BDO Lakeside Worlds as a joke, Channel 4's coverage was good, Eurosport it felt much better.

BDO have lost their World Champion before.... But survived

Bennett is more and likely going to try and defend his crown, he is playing in the JDC (of which he is free to do so) & has said an interview he is playing EDO Grand Prix... again he will go and play Development tour when he can but he will be defending his crown as BDO youth world champion.

Suzuki is playing in the PDC Asia tour like last year because its the best thing for her, I've heard she is going to play in the Dutch Open, She is more then likely going to play in the World Trophy & World Masters again she will go to Lakeside (or what venue holds the BDO Worlds) and defend her title.

Des did the right thing. Some good players will not get a tour card next week (Including top bdo players its a lottery) and will be able to play on the Challenge Tour and BDO Events, Talented players will be there and there will be another Glen Durrant & Scott Waites, I've started its an indirect feeder to the PDC, Des Jacklin knows this and wants more flexibility for players. Lakeside will be showing the best of the best in the BDO. WDT will be different and there will be some good players involved as always.
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

devosteve wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 pm Was ifm being serious when he said on fanatics that if a few of the top players qualify from q school then des will be responsible for destroying the bdo?

Dont read and am not a member of either fanatics, but hugely unlikely that ifm has changed since he posted here.

He was always on either a narcissistic and completely deluded crusade, or on the piss.

It really was never to early for a Fusilier, as far as Ian was concerned.
Attachments
IMG_-qv0w1b.jpg
IMG_-qv0w1b.jpg (30.36 KiB) Viewed 1319 times

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

devosteve wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:28 pm
Blue Steel wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 pm Reading but no link. Interesting.
Posts now deleted
Funnily enough, so was that account
County Player

Post by 1205 »

devosteve wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 pm Was ifm being serious when he said on fanatics that if a few of the top players qualify from q school then des will be responsible for destroying the bdo?

Next year could be significantly weakened at the top. But the BDO got a 3 year TV deal, so they can afford a dip.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

DavidB wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:57 pm

What do you mean exactly about the VT’s?? I mean what we saw this year seemed in terms of video packages and interviews seemed the same and NOT broadcasting from the players bar has to be applauded given how many for example hated it.
C4 tendered the coverage for lakeside out and picked up a company that seemed to take it very seriously, there was a ton of VTs ready each day, pre match interview videos, pre match vts, highlights done straight away. It just seemed a lot more than anyone else had done.

for me if I was ranking the coverage id say

C4
BBC (purely because I take a bit worse coverage for being live on BBC)
Eurosport.
BOOM
Superleague Player

Post by BOOM »

I thought overall that was the best presentation/commentary at the Lakeside for quite a while. I like Mason and O'Shea is pretty good, too. I also like the co-comms. It had a much more polished and professional feel than in recent years. On Nicholson, I've been moaning about him all week but, in his defence, he's knowledgeable and enthusiastic, he does seem to genuinely love what he's doing. He really does need to tone it down a bit though, he talks far too much, his attempts at being funny are ridiculous and some of the guff he comes out with is cringeworthy. Still he's a far cry from people like Green and Gulliver, who are woeful in every possible way.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Zapp, the same VT’s were done this year! Pre match interviews, the little clips of the players shown in the VT before each match was a nice touch. We also had proper highlights package each day.

And I’ll say it again, no coverage broadcasted from the players bar.

This was by far and away the best coverage of Lakeside for years, probably since the Ray Stubbs days.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Being a massive fan of boxing any boxing, as people know there are several different versions of the World Champion at all the different weights. All these World Championships have to be authorized by the ruling body of that organisation, i.e.: WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO, IBO and probably a few more, all these bodies enable boxers to make a living out of the sport and at different times perhaps the best boxer at any weight can probably come from different organisations within the same year, only when they have a unification series of events does one boxer become undisputed Champion of the World. However due to politics different promoters being unable to get the right deals this undisputed tag rarely applies. On top of this the broadcasters and arenas benefit for a system where multiple World Champions flourish.

I come to my point, the sport of Boxing does not suffer from multiple organisations, rather it creates an incentive, other than having an autocracy, where one person, one organisation, sets the rules, creating a monopoly to decide the future of the sport.

I heard this week that the sport of darts should be under one roof, but whose roof ?, the roof of the owner with the biggest bank balance, the, do as I say, to decide who plays where, who has the opportunity of earning what, who gets invited into these opportunities, as their right, because they are picking up the tab. Or should it be under the roof of a democratically elected company or in fact several different democratically run companies.

Further why hasn’t the BDO Professional Champion of the World earned that right to be recognised as The World Champion, until there is a unification match, Glen is just as much a World Champion as any other World Champion from any other organisation, because currently no one can legitimately claim to be “The undisputed World Darts Champion”.

Perhaps the managers of the two players concerned should come together like boxing promoters to set this up, however we know the contracts of the PDC forbid any of their players to appear on TV, which isn’t under the complete control of their organisation, so if another promoter came across with a bigger purse for the event, it wouldn’t go ahead.

tt thoughts.
BOOM
Superleague Player

Post by BOOM »

Sally wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 pm
Blue Steel wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:17 pm No, if it’s an ante post bet you don’t get money back for a non runner.
Thank you..I presume that is why the odds are so good @ 50/1 ?
He'd be about those odds even if he was in it, I'd imagine. Obviously it would depend what sort of season he had but I don't think he'd be much shorter than that come December.
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

No Vassos = 100% better presentation.

As for the boxing comparison, people know the titles and fighters which have meaning, and those which don't. They almost need that number of titles to give a certain number of big fights a year and it's promoters rather than governing bodies who hold the keys. Darts is more like snooker, and if there was a split, the one with the stars and better players would be the one with the success.