BDO Meeting

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ginge
International

Re: BDO Meeting

Post by Ginge »

only85 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:50 am the big blame for preston was for me lack of promotion, with a new team supposedly in charge things should be done differently i still think mr rigby (mr preston) may become involved, bit of an ashley loves a punt on a tired product the thrill of the outcome,
Is he the guy who runs the Guild Hall? Why would he bother? He had a go at promoting a WDT and look at what crowds he got.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

only85 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:50 am the big blame for preston was for me lack of promotion, with a new team supposedly in charge things should be done differently i still think mr rigby (mr preston) may become involved, bit of an ashley loves a punt on a tired product the thrill of the outcome,
The current board were in charge for the Masters, look what happened there. They are not going magic up thousands of people attending.
I suppose a hundred a day would be a start.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Skewball wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:03 pm
The current board were in charge for the Masters, look what happened there. They are not going magic up thousands of people attending.
I suppose a hundred a day would be a start.
The current board thought a good idea for a poster was not to put any players appearing on a poster, but a picture of the BDO Chairman with the media guy (?) from Winmau :roll: :roll:
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

nikkiboy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:34 am
BlueSpark wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 am Who would want to sponsor events for that sum of money for a damaged brand that has hardly anyone attending the events?
So let's just not bother then and close it?

Like him or hate him if this is true it's a great coup for the BDO, the organisation has to forget the past and find a way to move forward, this is a start.
Its not the start of anything, its the continued decline. 'Lakeside' on Eurosport/Quest is not progress from Channel 4/BT Sport.
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

Ginge wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 am
Is he the guy who runs the Guild Hall? Why would he bother? He had a go at promoting a WDT and look at what crowds he got.
thats the problem gulid hall didnt promote like other events that are there,(for some reason) some events get a advert on the radio station that broadcasts from the guildhall, i think that the wdt was a feeler see how things worked in relation to arena space stage positioning tv facilities for darts etc with a possible vue to shifting something bigger there long term, just my hunch & il be happy if im wrong, i do enjoy my trips to lakeside (the history) but as posters have pointed out previously its getting shabby minimal investment,
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

only85 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:33 pm
Ginge wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 am
thats the problem gulid hall didnt promote like other events that are there,(for some reason) some events get a advert on the radio station that broadcasts from the guildhall, i think that the wdt was a feeler see how things worked in relation to arena space stage positioning tv facilities for darts etc with a possible vue to shifting something bigger there long term, just my hunch & il be happy if im wrong, i do enjoy my trips to lakeside (the history) but as posters have pointed out previously its getting shabby minimal investment,
That would have been up to the promoter (i.e. the BDO) to organise and pay for, no? At least the latter, they wont be buying radio space and not charging the room hirer for it.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

It is dated and the service/food is absolutely dire. Beer is just about palatable, Holsten Vier ffs.
But the atmosphere and darts is why I keep going back, yes the toilets are disgusting but it is a good laugh. Especially with the forum lads.
Would I go and watch it if it was moved to Central London? Possibly. Who knows.
However a lot of the Lakeside regulars would probably not, it is a strange situation. It does need moving to a different venue in the near future, but how many regular paying customers will follow it? It will be a positive move in some respects, but unfortunately a lot more negative ones will arise imo.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Skewball wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:05 pm
BlueSpark wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 am Who would want to sponsor events for that sum of money for a damaged brand that has hardly anyone attending the events?

Like him or hate him if this is true it's a great coup for the BDO, the organisation has to forget the past and find a way to move forward, this is a start.
Its not the start of anything, its the continued decline. 'Lakeside' on Eurosport/Quest is not progress from Channel 4/BT Sport.
Which part of ' the organisation has to forget the past and find a way to move forward' did you miss?
The new board were not responsible nor can they undo the utter incompetence of the Williams', under who's watch not only lost the BBC & Ch4 but managed to lose all and any goodwill built up between the BDO and virtually every other partner, all they can do is to move forward and from where they were on day one of Des' appointment as CEO (no TV, No sponsor) this is a massive shot in the arm and a forward move.

He should be applauded for what he has done so far, there is still lots to do but at least it has started with a positive.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Ginge wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:59 am Well if players know months in advance that a) the money is only £500, and b) there is no contribution to airfare and hotels, then they cant moan about it just before the event.

I agree. But to be fair. The players qualified and didn’t even know if there was a WC as Des confirmed in his podcast today.
JFT97
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Bag Carrier wrote:
Ginge wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:59 am Well if players know months in advance that a) the money is only £500, and b) there is no contribution to airfare and hotels, then they cant moan about it just before the event.

I agree. But to be fair. The players qualified and didn’t even know if there was a WC as Des confirmed in his podcast today.
Well yes that was a disgrace. So needs to be avoided in future.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

nikkiboy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Which part of ' the organisation has to forget the past and find a way to move forward' did you miss?
The new board were not responsible nor can they undo the utter incompetence of the Williams', under who's watch not only lost the BBC & Ch4 but managed to lose all and any goodwill built up between the BDO and virtually every other partner, all they can do is to move forward and from where they were on day one of Des' appointment as CEO (no TV, No sponsor) this is a massive shot in the arm and a forward move.

He should be applauded for what he has done so far, there is still lots to do but at least it has started with a positive.
I certainly applaud Sportotal for ringing out a bit of TV at, I suspect, a very very very healthy %.
Dunno what Des has done. Everyone knows Sportotal did everything on this deal. If he gets real sponsors in (still none by the way) and big audiences and increases in prize money then he will have achieved something. Until then I'm sorry but the jury is still very much out, he's done nothing [yet]
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Skewball wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:48 pm

I certainly applaud Sportotal for ringing out a bit of TV at, I suspect, a very very very healthy %.
Dunno what Des has done. Everyone knows Sportotal did everything on this deal. If he gets real sponsors in (still none by the way) and big audiences and increases in prize money then he will have achieved something. Until then I'm sorry but the jury is still very much out, he's done nothing [yet]
You do know that we are discussing the opening post in this topic?
I do find your inability to give Des any credit quite comical, remember Sportotal have been in place for years, they were in place when CH4 dropped the BDO, in fact they were the first ones to know. If the Eurosport deal was all their doing and they knew that a renewal th CH4 was unlikely then why did they wait until a couple of months before the tournament to finalise the new deal? Why were rumours of law suits and legal action against the BDO flying round when the BDO was under the Williams' control?
Indeed we all heard the rumours that the BBC contract was lost because of certain people and others that CH4 were not happy with the same people.

Des gets no credit from you for anything yet withing a few weeks of him taking over we have Sportotal announcing a deal with Eurosport, Lakeside sponsoring the WCs and now the opportunity of more sponsors and deals ahead. I would like to bet that had the Williams' still been at the helm then Lakeside would have been streamed with a prize fund slashed to around £50k.

Even though Sportotal may have negotiated the deal NO COMPANY IN THE WORLD would sign a £1m deal without having faith in the organisation they are signing up with. Representations and plans would have been made by the BDO in order to secure the deal and Des would have been responsible for that.

But hey much easier to say that the change in CEO has made no difference and that Des has done nothing to take the BDO forward just because you don't like the guy.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Nick, all has been said is that the deal is "worth" a million, nobody has said that is the amount of cash that has been handed over.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:15 pm Nick, all has been said is that the deal is "worth" a million, nobody has said that is the amount of cash that has been handed over.
Where have I said that cash has been handed over? I said they have committed to a £1m deal.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:16 pm
Ginge wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:15 pm Nick, all has been said is that the deal is "worth" a million, nobody has said that is the amount of cash that has been handed over.
Where have I said that cash has been handed over? I said they have committed to a £1m deal.
...which may or may not have actually cost them £1m.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:17 pm
According to Dorsetdarter when he costed the OB costs that figure sounds about right for 9 tournaments or are you suggesting otherwise?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

nikkiboy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:12 pm
Skewball wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:48 pm

You do know that we are discussing the opening post in this topic?
I do find your inability to give Des any credit quite comical, remember Sportotal have been in place for years, they were in place when CH4 dropped the BDO, in fact they were the first ones to know. If the Eurosport deal was all their doing and they knew that a renewal th CH4 was unlikely then why did they wait until a couple of months before the tournament to finalise the new deal? Why were rumours of law suits and legal action against the BDO flying round when the BDO was under the Williams' control?
Indeed we all heard the rumours that the BBC contract was lost because of certain people and others that CH4 were not happy with the same people.

Des gets no credit from you for anything yet withing a few weeks of him taking over we have Sportotal announcing a deal with Eurosport, Lakeside sponsoring the WCs and now the opportunity of more sponsors and deals ahead. I would like to bet that had the Williams' still been at the helm then Lakeside would have been streamed with a prize fund slashed to around £50k.

Even though Sportotal may have negotiated the deal NO COMPANY IN THE WORLD would sign a £1m deal without having faith in the organisation they are signing up with. Representations and plans would have been made by the BDO in order to secure the deal and Des would have been responsible for that.

But hey much easier to say that the change in CEO has made no difference and that Des has done nothing to take the BDO forward just because you don't like the guy.
I have never met the man so no idea if I would like him or not. Going by what he is written on here then I wouldn't be over confident of liking him no.
I have not got high praise for Sportotal either, they have no track record in any other sport, they might be a bunch of cowboys for all I know. But that does not change the fact that despite not being able to do anything for months due to the BDO screwing them over they still managed to get a TV deal. The only tiny bit of credit for Des in how you explain it is that he managed to plead with Sportotal to not continue to sue them and to try and get anohter TV deal. (and god knows what % mind).
And thats it.
(Please don't say that getting BOB to sponsor Lakeside is a great result, just please.)

Everything else is heresay. So we shall see. We are still awaiting a single new sponsor. Which by the way he said he had got lined up MONTHS AGO.

So lets call it one positive (getting Sportotal not to sue them) and one negative (no promised sponsors yet).
Shall we keep a track over the next year?!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:24 pm
According to Dorsetdarter when he costed the OB costs that figure sounds about right for 9 tournaments or are you suggesting otherwise?
So you are now claiming that the deal isnt actually any cash at all and they gave the rights away for free, and £1m is just the cost of ensuring the 9 events are on the telly?

Nah, cant see it myself. Must have been some cash involved. Sportotal wouldnt have done it, no fee to cream a percentage off.

And a good point Skewy raises, he said in his "manifesto" he had new sponsored lined up, was that in August? Four months later and none named.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:26 pm
So you are now claiming that the deal isnt actually any cash at all and they gave the rights away for free, and £1m is just the cost of ensuring the 9 events are on the telly?

Nah, cant see it myself. Must have been some cash involved. Sportotal wouldnt have done it, no fee to cream a percentage off.
I don't know and nor do you but the figure sound about right to me and I do believe that there is a cash payment, I doubt if that cash is a great deal of money but as I said earlier the mere fact it is broadcast makes the possibility of potential sponsorship much greater in my opinion.

Oh and remember that last year the Williams' were PAYING OUT MONEY to get the BDO on TV.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

So they have not got any TV rights money at all then!! :DDD:

progress.....!