European tour qualifiying

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
dartistik
Brass Darts

Re: European tour qualifiying

Post by dartistik »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:28 pm Yeah, 4 home nation qualifiers does seem very odd now. I'm sure there are 2 Danish, Dutch, Austrian, German and even Czech players without tour cards who should be competitive, but with 4, we could be seeing a lot more events like Gibraltar, or Austria last year
There's only going to be 2 Danish players at the Danish Darts Open anyway, as the other two host nation spots go to non-Danish PDCNB players.
mik252
Pub Champion

Post by mik252 »

Eastern Europe’s qualifiers for the first 4 events of the season took place this weekend. Here are the qualifiers:
ET1- Pavel Jirkal
ET2- Boris Koltsov
ET3- Karel Sedlacek
ET4- Pavel Jirkal

The rules have changed for this season so Ratajski and Kanik can’t take part in these qualifiers as TC holders.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

I still don’t understand why these are excluded and inferior players get an easier ride? Is it the PDC thinking that some tour card holders are getting a bump in their pay because of where they come from? And in effect the tour card holders are being treated as one group?
County Player

Post by 1205 »

Dannyboy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:37 am I still don’t understand why these are excluded and inferior players get an easier ride? Is it the PDC thinking that some tour card holders are getting a bump in their pay because of where they come from? And in effect the tour card holders are being treated as one group?
The host nation qualifiers are special access for players to PDC tournaments to help develop the game in the host nation.
If a player is on tour they already have _lots_ of opportunities.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Post by Mensur Suljovic Fan »

Dannyboy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:37 am I still don’t understand why these are excluded and inferior players get an easier ride? Is it the PDC thinking that some tour card holders are getting a bump in their pay because of where they come from? And in effect the tour card holders are being treated as one group?
Yep, all European TC holders regardless of where they're from are in one group (including the Germans, Ratajski, and the Nordic/Baltic lads)
The Germans definitely got an easier ride in the past, even when Hopp was nowhere near ready to justify the hype, he was getting through ET qualifying easily. I think this is a leap of faith, telling the best German lads that the PDC believes they're good enough to come through European qualifying regularly. Would suck to be someone like Marijanovic or Bunse though, and the other European tour card holders are being screwed over too
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

1205 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:16 am
The host nation qualifiers are special access for players to PDC tournaments to help develop the game in the host nation.
If a player is on tour they already have _lots_ of opportunities.
4 places is a bit much though, plenty of good associates in Germany, but obviously consistency is a big issue for them. As Pieter pointed out, there will be at least 8 spots in European Tour events reserved for non-TC holders, which does seem a bit much (by the sounds of a convo he had on Twitter with Hearn, it looks like they might be thinking of altering it for next year)
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

mik252 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:39 pm Eastern Europe’s qualifiers for the first 4 events of the season took place this weekend. Here are the qualifiers:
ET1- Pavel Jirkal
ET2- Boris Koltsov
ET3- Karel Sedlacek
ET4- Pavel Jirkal

The rules have changed for this season so Ratajski and Kanik can’t take part in these qualifiers as TC holders.
Good to see those players not dwelling on narrowly missing out on a tour card, hope to see Steyer at some point as well. Good as well to see two Czech lads looking good, bodes well for ET9 in Prague
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

mik252 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:39 pm Eastern Europe’s qualifiers for the first 4 events of the season took place this weekend. Here are the qualifiers:
ET1- Pavel Jirkal
ET2- Boris Koltsov
ET3- Karel Sedlacek
ET4- Pavel Jirkal

Good to see those players not dwelling on narrowly missing out on a tour card, hope to see Steyer at some point as well. Good as well to see two Czech lads looking good, bodes well for ET9 in Prague
mik252
Pub Champion

Post by mik252 »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:48 am
ET1- Pavel Jirkal
ET2- Boris Koltsov
ET3- Karel Sedlacek
ET4- Pavel Jirkal

Eastern European darts does look in good health at the moment with a couple of tour card holders and as you say, Steyer, Sedlacek and Jirkal all coming very close to picking up cards at q school as well.

Would be nice to see another EE country getting an ET event in the future (presumably Poland would be the best candidate?), although I suppose they’re probably waiting to see how the Prague event goes first. Don’t run before you can walk and all that.
mik252
Pub Champion

Post by mik252 »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:34 am
Yep, all European TC holders regardless of where they're from are in one group (including the Germans, Ratajski, and the Nordic/Baltic lads)
The Germans definitely got an easier ride in the past, even when Hopp was nowhere near ready to justify the hype, he was getting through ET qualifying easily. I think this is a leap of faith, telling the best German lads that the PDC believes they're good enough to come through European qualifying regularly. Would suck to be someone like Marijanovic or Bunse though, and the other European tour card holders are being screwed over too
I think the real quality players amongst the European TC holders such as Ratajski and Van den Bergh should really be backing themselves to come through these qualifiers anyway. The big beneficiaries of the new system are probably the better non-TC holding German players like Horvat and Langendorf who now have five less quality players to contend with in the HNQs.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

mik252 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:16 am
I think the real quality players amongst the European TC holders such as Ratajski and Van den Bergh should really be backing themselves to come through these qualifiers anyway. The big beneficiaries of the new system are probably the better non-TC holding German players like Horvat and Langendorf who now have five less quality players to contend with in the HNQs.
Ratajski didn't exactly sweep all before him in Eastern Europe last year, so I'm sure he's happy that he's no longer only got one spot to play for. He's in the picture to be seeded as well later on in the year (after that big chunk of UK Open qualifier money comes off his ProTour total, he's defending very little until October).

Van den Bergh really is an enigma, I wonder if this is the year it will finally come together on the floor for him. If he can qualify for staged events, he should do well, but we've been saying that for a while now
mik252
Pub Champion

Post by mik252 »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:52 am
Ratajski didn't exactly sweep all before him in Eastern Europe last year, so I'm sure he's happy that he's no longer only got one spot to play for. He's in the picture to be seeded as well later on in the year (after that big chunk of UK Open qualifier money comes off his ProTour total, he's defending very little until October).

Van den Bergh really is an enigma, I wonder if this is the year it will finally come together on the floor for him. If he can qualify for staged events, he should do well, but we've been saying that for a while now
As it’s a two year rolling Order of Merit, aren’t players like Ratajski and de Zwaan defending nothing this year as they’re totals with have rest to £0 at the start of the 2018 season?
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

mik252 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:02 am

As it’s a two year rolling Order of Merit, aren’t players like Ratajski and de Zwaan defending nothing this year as they’re totals with have rest to £0 at the start of the 2018 season?
That's the main Order of Merit, but it's the 1-year ProTour OoM that I'm talking about that determines seedings for ET events. Ratajski didn't earn a single penny in any Players Championship events until the very last weekend (he only played the last 2 weekends in fairness), and didn't pull up any trees on the European Tour last year neither, so he's got a pretty clean slate to get up the ProTour rankings
Reinier
The Ton Club

Post by Reinier »

The two spots for Western Europe Associate members is the most ludacriss.
mik252
Pub Champion

Post by mik252 »

Mensur Suljovic Fan wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 am
mik252 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:02 am

That's the main Order of Merit, but it's the 1-year ProTour OoM that I'm talking about that determines seedings for ET events. Ratajski didn't earn a single penny in any Players Championship events until the very last weekend (he only played the last 2 weekends in fairness), and didn't pull up any trees on the European Tour last year neither, so he's got a pretty clean slate to get up the ProTour rankings
Ah I see yeah a great chance for him to make headway in the first half of the season then.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Reinier wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:56 am The two spots for Western Europe Associate members is the most ludacriss.
Too many or not enough?
Reinier
The Ton Club

Post by Reinier »

Too many.

Not good enough to get a card but rewarded with places at the Euro Tour. Doesn't make sense.
Mensur Suljovic Fan
The Ton Club

Reinier wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:51 pm Too many.

Not good enough to get a card but rewarded with places at the Euro Tour. Doesn't make sense.
I liked what they had before, any European who failed to get a card could enter, at least that way they had a chance to qualify, but I agree, a guaranteed two spots for associates is a bit much
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Challenge Tour players from the UK are excluded

Yl
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Reinier wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:51 pm Too many.

Associate players took 25 qualifying spots in last year's 13 South/West qualifiers while competing against tour card players. No idea why you think they don't collectively deserve 2 places per event.